The official Daytona SP3 Thread! | Page 36 | FerrariChat

The official Daytona SP3 Thread!

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by Jonathan19, Nov 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  2. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    The car is a "styling exercise", clearly ... and the mandate seems to have been: incorporate as many design elements, and design languages, from as many cars as possible.

Not my cup of tea, but clearly some among us absolutely LOVE it :)

elmadi and Senad like this.
  3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Not really a fan of the overall design.

mthompson2376 and Senad like this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You're a bit late to the party :). I thought I was done with this car. I keep checking back to see if someone posts an absolute stunning pic that would cause me to second-guess my opinion, but the more pics I see, the more new things I pick-up that that irk me. Now I can't un-see any of it. Try to love it, but I just can't. All I can say is, it is very different from anything out there and if that's what you want, this is certainly it. I believe we can all agree on that at the very least.

elmadi and werewolf like this.
  5. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    [QUOTE="ShineKen:
    if that's what you want, this is certainly it. I believe we can all agree on that at the very least.[/QUOTE]

What I want is the most powerful rear mid-engined naturally aspirated, non hybrid ever made by Ferrari with a carbon chassis and an aero efficient carbon body.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #881 JTSE30, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    @NeilF8888

Weight of SP3 vs LaF

so, why is the SP3 just as heavy?

SP3 has GPFs, SP3 has pole-side impact reinforcements (many cars are being discontinued due to pole side impact requirements, first experienced in Australia of all places), just like you mentioned, it's quite a lot of extra weight for those new regulations. And other regulations add weight, by way of more sensors and computers,etc like new AEB/ISA regulations and event data recorders and pedestrian cameras/sensors

All these regulations are making cars bigger and more bloated...as for the T.50, they are pushing to get some of the cars registered with customers in the next few months so they can escape the new crash regulations (which are dependent on when a car is first registered); The Valkyrie just barely eluded being included in the new crash regulations by getting into the hands of customers now, if they waited another year they would of had to completely redesign the car to be EU street legal; basically if you want to avoid these new regulations your new car model must be released and have at least an EU customer registration before July 2022 (then you get a grace period until July 2024 before it is mandatory, so these specialty models will be built-out by then)

multivac, of2worlds, elmadi and 5 others like this.
  7. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Wait until you see the car (not from photos) and then you can be done with it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

furmano, elmadi, Caeruleus11 and 4 others like this.
  8. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    No thanks, I am busy that day…

9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    of2worlds, Boomhauer, Alvega and 10 others like this.
  10. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Maybe an all-carbon version would better tie it all together? Or a Jackson Pollock wrap?

11. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Unfortunately the more pictures I see the more it resembles a caricature of prior cars. Add the weight penalty of it being a nonhybrid(LOL) and it’s a farcical Ferrari

12. Almost Interesting

Nov 25, 2021
    Love this car. Mid V12 too. I can’t wait to see the drive reviews

Caeruleus11, elmadi and jpalmito like this.
  13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  14. Almost Interesting

Nov 25, 2021
    elmadi, jpalmito and NeilF8888 like this.
  15. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud

SAT4RE likes this.
  16. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    To call this is a Daytona inspiration is just not right. They share no similarities except for the side mirror location. Other than that, there are so many areas of design they could have incorporated with relative ease and simplicity from the past, and instead, Ferrari chose to make a Ferrari/Mclaren/Testarossa hybrid.

Aston Martin knocked it out of the park with the Valkyrie and Mclaren the same with the long tail. WTF was Ferrari thinking when they designed the SP3? I blindly support Ferrari, and I have been looking the other way for the past few years, but even the SP3 is too much for me and has me considering an outright switch to another manufacturer. The direction of Ferrari is not okay.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShineKen, werewolf, Senad and 3 others like this.
  17. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    It would be interesting to understand the thought process of switching to another manufacturer. What would you choose? Aston Martin’s Valkyrie is a cool product, but no one has driven a production example yet and lots of the customers expecting to receive their are far from happy. However let’s say it is an awesome car. What else do you like from AM? None of their cars are even close to the quality Ferrari offers. Even their limited editions like the Zagatos are trading at steep discounts to their MSRP which shows the lack of demand. The SUV is a good car, but who wants to bet that Ferrari won’t beat that too with the Purosangue?
    Moving on to McLaren. I have years of ownership experience and I like the cars. The P1 is an exciting ownership prospect, but the rest of the range are variations on a single theme. Reliability is pretty average, resale is rubbish and the engines sound even more terrible than the Ferrari turbos (at least Ferrari still have a V12). And if you think the SP3 is a bad car, you can always spend your money on a McLaren Elva! As for the Longtail, ask the journalists who drove it…Apart from the three seats there is NOTHING that the 765LT doesn’t do better. The car is pretty average to drive.
    Then onto Lamborghini. I used to own a beautiful Countach QV years ago and that is a proper supercar. However I cannot count how many times I have tried to fall in love with their modern range (and failed). The cars are so “loud” that even the good ones like the STO drive away many prospective buyers. Even the Urus which is a good driving experience lacks the charisma (Audi platform, nothing special engine-wise) that a Purosangue V12 will have. And as for the top-end, would you pay 2m for the new Countach or 3m for a Sian?
    And the final choice is Porsche. Now these guys make some awesome cars, but they are a volume manufacturer. Great daily drivers, weak resale (except for RS), too many around. Also if you take out the Turbo S / Roma comparison (where you might reasonably think a buyer would consider both) the two ranges are not overlapping in any way. I have a GT4RS on order but there is no equivalent car from Ferrari. Finally their Hypercars are great (CGT, 918) but the next one will be electric….

I am leaving out Gordon Murray’s T50, Pagani, Bugatti etc as they don’t have a regular range and all their cars are above the price range we are discussing.

My point is that regardless of how you feel about the SP3 (and we disagree on that), it is hard to see viable alternatives to Ferrari as a charismatic car manufacturer.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Jeronimo GTO, vij23, 355TDI and 15 others like this.
  18. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    "My point is that regardless of how you feel about the SP3 (and we disagree on that), it is hard to see viable alternatives to Ferrari as a charismatic car manufacturer."

This. The key is here. It's hard to see viable alternatives to Ferrari as a charismatic car manufacture!
    About the SP3. Okay, there are some little slips, like wheels fixing and the windshield a messy thread, but what a car! They had the ability to create a dynamic and sinuous shape, swollen mudguards, full of innovations and interpretations. It is a special car and I wish you all to see her in person. It will not disappoint you.

Jeronimo GTO, of2worlds and jpalmito like this.
  19. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    if I had to take a spin in any of those, the valk would be the first, just so curious about how it is to drive. at the moment it's an enigma

ShineKen and REALZEUS like this.
  20. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I’d take the SP3 over any of the others without a second thought

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It is next level hypercar. The SP3 is not a hypercar though. It is a design study. The next Ferrari halo car is what we all want to see.

22. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    The most significant differences are on the nose and sides.

330 P4 contains a very low nose which dictates the look of the car. Nowadays, it is not feasible to create such a low nose due to crash test requirements. And with LaFerrari Aperta carbon tub it is pretty much impossible.

Of course, SP3 could have been designed to look similar to Pininfarina P4/5, particularly on the sides. But then again, as Ferrari has pointed out, they do not remake earlier designs. They just take influences and then create something new.

In the case of SP3, it has a very individual look, but still lots of influences from 330 series.

ARAUJO77 likes this.