A different twist on 550 Fire Extinguisher placement | FerrariChat

A different twist on 550 Fire Extinguisher placement

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by BRIOSO, Dec 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BRIOSO

BRIOSO Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Some of the fellas on the 360-430 forum were discussing Fire Extinguisher placement their cars.
    Thought I'd share how I did mine in my 550. It is attached to the seat hardware so it moves with the seat, is tucked away nicely, yet functions as a Grab and Go unit in the event of an emergency.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M, Ferrari55whoa and Davidspop like this.
  2. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Where did you acquire this piece?

3. BRIOSO

BRIOSO Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    There are actually 3 pieces to the set up.
    The Brey Krause Bracket R-9540 on their website BKAuto.com
    The Brey Krause Extinguisher Mount R-9520. They offer a 90 mm size as well. One would have to confirm if that is for a 5lb. bottle.
    The 2.5lb Halon Extinguisher is from Safecraft Motorsports. They do have 5lb units as well. They Offer Black, White Red, etc.
    There is a little trick to make the 2.5lb extinguisher fit that bracket in picture #1. The Safecraft bottle is technically a couple of mm. shy of fitting securely in the bracket. If you enlarge the photo, you will see a piece of 1/2" magnetic tape between the aluminum bracket and the bottle which can be purchased at any hardware store in a roll. It provides just the right thickness to allow the bottle to fit nice and snug up once the bracket is tightened up with the allen wrench. I put a toothpick in between the bracket closure to spread the ring just enough to allow me to position the bottle and then pulled the toothpick and tightened up allen head screw. Ultimately, I'd like to have someone CNC a prancing horse where the Brey Krause sticker is and I have a Chrome Prancing Horse decal which I've debated putting on the bottle. It might compliment the anodized bracket and billet aluminum trigger on the bottle. I'm funny about getting too crazy with stuff like that but we'll see. I usually defer to "what would Ferrari do in this application"? What are your thoughts?
    Here is a photo of a different Billet Bracket I did on my Gallardo back in 2004. Mounted it to the Child Chair Restraint bolt on the rear firewall just above the luggage shelf. Trying to figure out a way to use that same Black Extinguisher and Bracket in my 2010 QP GTS (the Lamborghini Script is long gone now).
    Haven't quite figured that one out yet. May go in the trunk...... We'll see.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Davidspop likes this.
  4. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Very nice. Thank you for sharing!

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Very nice work

6. SM550

SM550 Rookie

Dec 21, 2020
    Germany
    Nice work. Really good place for the extinguisher.

Just a reminder: Halon has been banned from automotive use completely in Europe and Australia.
    (To the extend that you will fail MOT and pay a hefty fine - at least in Germany)
    Novec 1230 extinguishers are the best (but expensive) solution today.

Cheers Stefan

7. BRIOSO

BRIOSO Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    That’s really great info. It’s been a while since I looked at the current technologies and extinguisher offerings in the market place, but the Novec 1230 which I see is a 3M material appears to be the ultimate answer. 3M has a very impressive video demonstrating the unique characteristics of how it performs. I see there are a number of Competition retailers that offer various sized hand held units as well. Thanks for the info. Mush appreciated!

8. Joff Clarke

Joff Clarke Karting

Sep 21, 2017
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    John Clarke