The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k | Page 17 | FerrariChat

The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Nov 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
  2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I dunno man, the quarter mile in a plaid is near 9 seconds above 150

The Panigale V4S is a mid 10 second bike trapping below 150

Why is your rear view mirror facing forward?

I think being able to stay neck-to-neck with an Italian Super Bike is a pretty solid achievement - for a family sedan.

You should try taking a spin in a Plaid, it's a lot faster than you think. Every single car guy I've taken for a ride giggles like a child

paulchua likes this.
  3. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I have been looking at doing this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

and putting my 20,000 variable speed RPM motor with a 1:1 gearbox on it with a 5Ah Life battery. I should be able to reach 297.5 mph and 1/4 mile distance time in 3.024 seconds and smoke any bike, Ferrari and Tesla out there. :D

If 0 to 60 is how we are going to measure performance, Hell, For $75,000, I'm going to get one of these for my daily driver, put some mirrors and signalling lights on it, fill the whole front end cavity with a flexible fuel bag pouch for long mileage and a Tesla can't touch it: :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    This is what I did for a science fair project and you know who helped supply the batteries?

Bruce Wellington

Last seen 5y ago
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/bws550.455/

After my year, they changed all the rules. We had built a catapult so large we needed to tow it to class. It was essentially a trebuchet. Afterward they put a size limit.

5. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I agree, there is NO WAY the V4S would have the Plaid in its rear view mirror, and this is why:

Well, while the Tesla is waiting the 4.5 minutes to get "ready" to put down that 9 seconds, the V4S will have run the 1/4 mile, re-fueled, took a coffee break, cleaned the tires, took some pictures, and pulled back at the starting line saying "Thanks for the race." :D

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  6. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Maybe, you can still drive the Plaid while it's getting ready for launch control

I didn't know this the first time. I won a few races and then realized launch control was ready.

It's really really really fast, everyone should try a ride at least once this year

7. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I was just having fun. I really didn't know it needed that time until I saw the video. I guess it is making sure the battery temps are right before it puts that large, quick power pull on them. Honestly, I really want to drive one because instant torque is crazy. Enjoy it. :)

8. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I guess I must live my life a 1/4 mile at a time since I would never be involved in a race to 200 mph, especially on the street!!!!!! Come to think of it, I’m not sure how one can reach 200 at any track in the US. Is there any track where reaching 200 is possible? And I’m not talking about air fields or salt flats when I say track.

9. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Circuit of Americas I believe

10. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    This is the fastest lap I could find on COTA. It kinda looks like a 4 door sedan :). 200 mph is a pipe dream for most anyone in the US. Heck, I bet there are people here who could smoke him in the canyons, though.

11. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Yeah, If Lewis only hit 194, then a sports car will definitely not. I think you are right (besides an oval), I don't know any other track that has longer straight run with speed entering the front stretch. Sebring back stretch is long, but I don't think you can reach 200 MPH, I am not sure of when they make the St Petersburg area into the race track. That front stretch is crazy long because it is a airport runway, but it is not a permanent race track.

12. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    im talking say Death Valley , or the 15 Freeway early in the morning in Riverside County . I spooled up the Busa to 185 , twice, once at night , once in the morning .

Thank you

14. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

So you contradicted yourself by saying " there is no way the V4S " and yes you are correct, the V4s would obliterate the tesla, mine has a custom Puig Rafale windscreen, so I can tuck in and not be slowed by the air friction .

Thank you

15. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I was being facetious and trying to come around to the point that when the flag dropped to race, the Tesla would still be prepping itself. But, I was corrected later that the Tesla can prepare for race while it is driving normally so the four and a half minutes to prepare itself can be done prior. My attempt to be light hearted didn't work.

ginoBBi512 and vraa like this.
  16. MarkGT

MarkGT Rookie

Jul 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark Trombetta
    I am glad you like the Tesla cars. They represent great feats in engineering and are very fast. For me, they just don't stimulate the senses enough, and some senses not at all (visual, auditory and tactile).
    Electric cars are certainly not less expensive to operate, especially in rapid charge modes and they still require significant quantities of fossil fuels to produce motion with battery disposal waste to consider. But then again, they are blazingly fast! As an adjunct to gasoline, electric hybrid power is wonderful and perhaps the best of both worlds. The great thing about America is that we can all have differing opinions and still be happy. Much luck with your new car!

vraa likes this.
  17. FactoryFiveOwner

Dec 2, 2021
    Barrington RI
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My entire career is about cars. In the movie "Moneyball", Brad Pitt said of baseball... "How can you not be romantic about baseball"?' I think the quote so well applies to cars and motorcycles. How can you not be romantic about cars?" That romance and love for cars goes so far beyond performance. It is about music and exhaust note, throbbing vibrations, memories of girls and the smells of race gas and long nights in the garage with bugs flying around the outside lights.. Teslas are electric vehicles that are fast and well engineered... But they have no soul. they have no pulse and vibe and feeling.. no smell.. no romance. A fine and efficient toaster oven appliance yes, but an object of desire that is also a time machine? no. I went on a long ride, a three day road trip with my brother on motorcycles. We rode the same bikes we had back in school.. way back in college. Those old bikes, they cannot compare to the tech in a Tesla. and that is why they are so loved and a Tesla is one zero one zero one zero. just one man's opinion. Respect others for sure, but the cars I love are both amazingly fast AND too much more!

18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Who cares about the quarter mile, the V4 ducs will obliterate the tesla , same with the Busa at 150 plus , thats all that matters. That rider on my Big Block Busa would have obliterated that - plaid out - set of electric wheels 1/4 miles and right on to 160 plus.

Thank you

19. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I want to enjoy the time going from 0 to 60 and listening to how the car is getting me there, not a quick sneeze and I'm doing 110!

anunakki likes this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well, we might as well go into funny cars or rockets. We're talking about stock production cars.

Nobody here is saying you can't love your pure ICE and hate on anything electric, that's certainly your prerogative. I for one prefer ICE as well, so I"m in the same motorboat as you.

Just that you won't ever catch me saying the jet-powered boat passing us by is 'bad' though.

It just is.

Shaking your fist at it says more about if you *truly* love your boat.

I mean, I have my turntable and vinyl, and the folks that use digital music don't anger me.

Again, It just is.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed, yet this point has nothing to do with the OPs question.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I generally agree with your notions.

Just a thought experiment though.

You mention 3 things that make electric cars an anathema to you:

(visual, auditory, and tactile).

Visual superiority is not inherent to ICE, you can design an electric car to look pretty much like any ICE car of the same epoch - so a non-sequitur. See Aston Martin Valkarie or Lotus Evija, hell the Pininfarina Battista.

Auditory - Electric car can produce nearly any sound an ICE can, albeit artificially, - yes I know there are purists amongst us that refuse to listen to their favorite music other than live. Any reproduction? Unacceptable. Don't take this as a dig, I really do hate artificial sound - but 99% of the driving public? Don't care. That's why Diet Coke outsells regular Coke.

Tactile - NVH - Drive a 308 vs say a 355 vs say a 458 - this has to do with more of the torsional rigidity and manufacturing progress, you can make an electric car as 'harsh' as you want to.

23. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    The sounds from electric cars are kinda cool. The porsche and tesla both make interesting whirring sounds outside of wind noise

One of my favorite sounds is hearing the mechanical whirring of the FF PTU working, at least it means it's not broken.

Natkingcolebasket69 and paulchua like this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Of course, stats count. That's why the Buick Grand National is even a thing versus just another Regal.

I want to steer the discussion back to the OP premise.

Electrification is quickly commoditizing speed. Yes? Anybody disagrees? Okay, assuming you're still; with me, and not using the Yellow Pages to dial on your rotary phone.

What should Ferrari do?

One cohort says to stick with ICE only, even if that means all Ferrari cars are at a performance disadvantage to peers.
    Another cohort like me says to embrace the change and make the 'best' electric/hybrid cars in the world.

I don't want to hear about P&R. 1/4 miles, 0-60, track times, don't have feelings, or any political affiliation.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I hear you brother.

it cracks me up how so many people speak about things that have no knowledge of. reminds me of folks back in the '90s that said this "Internet thing is just a 'fad'"