250 GT SWB 'revival' | Page 3 | FerrariChat

250 GT SWB 'revival'

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by DanNE, Feb 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I am in contract on one and signed about a month and half ago…I would reach out regarding pricing. Not sure if Matt is including VAT but my number was less (not including VAT or the donor car). It’s also my understanding that they will use components/parts from the donor 250 if they feel they are still in good condition. Not sure if that includes the block etc. I am sticking w a 3.0l 4 speed so that may make it easier. And I was also quoted 2 years and told that it will most likely not be sooner.

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I’m not including VAT or any potential donor parts.

650k was a new car from scratch, before options. Again, not taking into consideration things like usable engines or suspension or steering or rear end. If you can supply those items, the price could be a lot less.

Matt

RamsHmb likes this.
  3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando

RamsHmb likes this.
  4. Chetsstm3

Chetsstm3 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I spoke with GTO and was told the price is now £850k for a 250 SWB build plus the donor identity and options. Looks like they just increased pricing considerably for the last few builds. Can’t blame them I guess.

5. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Wow. That is a big jump but I have heard a rumor they are only going to do a x more and x isn’t many. The press they have received has been nothing short of spectacular. You going to do it?

6. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Securing donors, even if its just for the VIN must be getting harder and harder to do now, I imagine they will shift the workforce and facilities over to Moderna construction once that project is finalised and up and running.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    There’s no reason to get a VIN from a 250.

A Mondial or other 308 will do.

Matt

8. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I disagree, unless its simply to get a car though customs or registration in a particular country then that would kill any future resale value, the bragging rights around these cars is that they have a link however tenuous with a period 250.

TTR likes this.
  9. Chetsstm3

Chetsstm3 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was told by them production is limited to 60 units and only 3 open builds remain.

PAUL500 likes this.
  10. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Makes sense but that’s big jump. They told me about the California too…not sure if that pricing has also changed. My understanding is donor is 250 or 330. Colombo period v12.

11. Chetsstm3

Chetsstm3 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Given the current pricing and timing for a new build I decided to focus on the secondary market. I just pulled the trigger on 2014 build. Should arrive next Wednesday. It’s donor was a ‘62 GTE and it retains its original (fully rebuilt) #’s matching running gear. Unfortunately the driving season is about done here so I’m hopeful to get a few drives in before the roads are salted but that window is closing fast. I’ll post more pictures and my comments after she arrives.

Attached Files:

fasthound, RamsHmb, PAUL500 and 2 others like this.
  12. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Fantastic! Looks beautiful. Sounds like they have a line in a 250 donor for me. Similar condition as your donor. Mine will be matching too. Very cool!

13. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    RamsHmb and turbo-joe like this.
  14. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Would love to see as many photos as u have. You open to PM’ing me the details of your purchase. Just ballpark numbers. Understand if that’s a no go.

15. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Not mine I am afraid, met the guys from GTO about 3 years ago when they were hauling this chassis back from the fabricators ready to make a start building it up into a SWB, and they allowed me to take the pic.

They are very passionate about their work, and straight shooters as well, you will love yours once its ready.

RamsHmb likes this.
  16. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Are you in possession? Love to hear your thoughts and see more pics.

17. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Pictures and or thoughts!? :)

18. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I believe this was the car featured in the Petrolicious article from years ago.

She's stunning - Congratulations.

RamsHmb likes this.
  19. Chetsstm3

Chetsstm3 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Apologies for the delay. It’s been a bit crazy these past few weeks. Unfortunately winter has arrived up here north of the wall so my driving time is extremely limited to running to the gas station and back. The car has a list of relatively minor issues that need to be sorted. I am sending the car to LA for some cosmetic and mechanical work. Admittedly I had very high expectations for this car and was hoping (expecting) a “Singer” level of fit and finish. That is not the case. Not that there is anything “bad” just not perfect. Many components of this car seem to be original and rebuilt, which I like. I’m sure the car is very much like it would have been when new. The gaskets around the windshield are rather crude and some other details look very hand made. The hood latch broke off while I was operating it, there are misc squeaks and rattles inside, not all gauge lights work and there are some coolant and oil leaks. I’d recommend against the sliding lexan windows as they scratch very easily. The brief drive was great, engine fired up without issue and is very rev happy. I know once sorted this will be one of my favorites. It just needs a little more then I was hoping for.

RamsHmb likes this.
  20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ the previous owner probably felt the same way hence he sold it.

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks for the update.

It makes me feel more comfortable putting my GTO SWB Spider California on hold.

Matt

22. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for the update. I am going w standard windows as I am in nor cal and the car will live in Sonoma which can get pretty toasty in the summer. It is a 7 year old car that was hopefully driven so I guess issues are expected but sorry to hear that you have to deal w it. I have super high expectations too and I get how you probably only see the flaws. I have done a number of down to the studs remodels and on move in day I can only see the missing handle or not so brilliant paint job on a door jam. My wife and I always have to tell one another to look at the 99% that is fantastic. I am sure I am preaching to the choir but she is a beautiful car. Imagine if what a well run original would need. I am doing enough engine out resto of an 83 308 and once you pull back the covers it is almost frighting how a shoddy some or the work is. Fiberglass floor panels matted to the steel frame. I think a drum has more thickness than the floor boards. Anyhow, hope they get worked out quickly and all is perfect come spring. If you have additional pics please post :)

23. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    It was a very early car…I am hoping many of the kinks have been worked out. I drive my modern f cars and after 3 years and 20k miles my California had squeaks and bad buttons, crystals popping out in the headlight etc. good news is these cars are more analog so hopefully much easier to put back together and tighten up. I am deposit in and pushing 100% ahead but I get the caution.

24. Chetsstm3

Chetsstm3 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Granted it is a 7 year old build but certainly not one of the very first built. The previous owner only put about 1,500 miles on the car so it’s relatively “new”. Here are a couple of pictures showing the window gaskets and scratched sliders. Upon closer inspection I’ve found some original paint imperfections and tape lines. Again nothing major but certainly had higher expectations at this price point. I’m confident she’ll be darn close to perfection upon returning from her spa vacation.

Attached Files:

amenasce and RamsHmb like this.
  25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    that paint is rough. hope it works out