2021 Saudi Arabian GP: Post Race Analysis | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2021 Saudi Arabian GP: Post Race Analysis

Discussion in 'F1' started by SS454, Dec 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I've never understood the Tilke "magic", his circuits are formulaic and boring.

There's no business like Show business.

SS454 and jpalmito like this.
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I think Verstappen overdrove and went off track, to keep the lead - so I agree he had to cede the place... and I also think he did it correctly - I think It was Mercedes who did not get with the program for whatever reason. the whole DRS or not zone ... you cant have it perfectly - if you get the place back its yours to defend.. not dictate when you get the place back.

I think dirty tricks just diminish the sport / show whatever it is now days. This is the perfect example of why I think NONE of the Modern Drivers - Including Senna are the greatest. there is no self control. Prost was the last real Driver who used his brains, he was worthy of respect... the other guys since are just fast. this is why I Hold up Jackie Stewart as the best of all time... he won, he was the best at the time - and NEVER did anything dirty etc.. if he was beaten... he knew it and figured out to be better. the brats that run today are not worthy.

tuttebenne likes this.
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Lots of truth here! Once risk of death almost. Entirely written out of picture driver's drive maxish. Crashdoormaldanado, grosjean. My goat is fangio. So good got 5 wdc and lived to retire in an era of death

trumpet77, ago car nut and Sharknose like this.
  4. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    EXACTLY. All this available data lends itself to the notion that it actually is used. Personally I find it all to be noise.

5. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    ignoring the drivers going off track and the main HAM hitting VER incident, the later time when Max gave up the spot and then DRSd back into the lead was brilliant racing. Not illegal, but who knows, with the way this is going the FIA will invent a new rule and paint a pretty pink area of each track and make it the Heineken Give-Back-The-Place Zone to get sponsorship money and micro-manage it. The final race where Rosberg became champion was similar, HAM trying to back up ROS into traffic just enough to become WDC again...kind of a tactic you'd do on a video game.

375+ and SS454 like this.
  6. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I think it was a high IQ move when and where Max allowed Lewis to pass. Like you said, the guy following doesn't get to choose where that happens. IMO, if that driver chose not to pass, he revokes his right to go past. So as soon as Lewis chose to slow down behind Max and not go by, Max should have sped up and continued in the lead. Too bad Lewis, you had your chance.

Also, upon further review, when Max allowed Lewis by (2nd attempt), he never should have gave the place back. Verstappen let's LH go by, then Hamilton cuts back to the right (driving line) and then overshoots the corner leaving the inside wide open. It was bad driving by Lewis and Verstappen just took the inside line and re-passed. It's up to Lewis to make the corner and defend the position.

werewolf and trumpet77 like this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Verstappen And Hamilton's Incident | Jolyon Palmer's F1 TV Analysis | 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix

ZeptoLira, surfwolf and 375+ like this.
  8. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    FOM blocks the content from Jolyon Palmer's analysis? Good grief. I would have liked to have seen that.

9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Just click on the underlined portion of Watch on YouTube.

10. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    Thank you.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Elton is a lying coward, he just went again crying about spa 08, saying Kimi forced him off track wich is a blatant lie, he himself clided with Kimi inh order to get an excuse and cut the chicane, he did exacly the same thing a Monza 2007 in the first chicane, unfortunately i cannot get a footage of that anywhere!

12. ZeptoLira

ZeptoLira Rookie

Dec 8, 2020
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    3opah
    As to the lap 37 straightaway comment:
    (44) had a "...wide open track..." to pass.

Incorrect.

Some facts: 'Min'(33) had a wide open track from both perspectives: Width and length. Width- 'Min' did not have to pass a car or avoid debris. Length- there was no car in front of him for 14-19 seconds. Having past Kimi a couple laps earlier, 'Min' had no backmarkers to deal with at all. He could focus his attention on himself and 'Sir' (44) behind him.

'Sir' had past 'Min' a lap earler while 'Min' was in top gear, top rpm each traveling faster than 300kph heading toward turn 27. Others have analyzed this corner incident elsewhere. On the next lap, in this same area, 'Min' slows down by easing off throttle, then down shifting, then braking in an area where the two drivers had just been doing 300kph lap-after-lap. 'Sir' is in the draft of 'Min' as any racer would be and as many of them do during this "race". Being in the draft limits the visibility of the second driver, so that he ('Sir') can not see the whole track, potential debris, a wrecked car, any warning flags, or warning lights. Second driver must trust the actions of the first driver. (For rookie F1 viewers, these cars do not have brake lights.) To signal his slowing AND avoid a collision, 'Min' could have (though not required) turned on his battery regeneration system to highlight his slowing AND recharge his battery at the same time while the rear red lights blink. 'Min' did not do this.

'Min' has been labeled as being in the middle of the narrow straightaway when dramatically slowing. From turn 26, 'Min' drifts right on the long 'straight', as 'Min' slows, he drifts to the middle of the track. A non-scientific measurement calculates that 'Min' allowed 30% of the right side of the track open, occupied 30% overlapping the center, and allowed 40% of the left side open. This is not a clear signal of a car allowing others to pass whether by (fia) rule or because first driver is having a problem with their race car. If you have full control of your race car, slowing down significantly in the middle of straight track, which is designed for 300kph+, is dangerous for all. This piece of track is narrow and has not yet widened (which the track does about 50m later.)

Five laps earlier, 'Min' asked "Why is (the car ahead of him) Kimi going so slow?" during VSC. This valid question was posed while all cars were traveling at 40% reduced speed, yellow flags and flashing VSC signs. 'Min' dramatically slowed five laps later in front of 'Sir' with none of these factors in existence.

Some thoughts: If 'Min' has the right to brake/slow down dramatically, so does 'Sir' and every other driver. At what speed does a "pass" occur? Theoretically, they could have come to a stop on the track. The only pressure on them is oncoming drivers. Both drivers had past Kimi and were aware that the OCO/RIC/BOT train was 24 seconds behind them. They had a sometime to play games, uuhh, strategize. The fia relayed the decision to RB and the fia expects that response in a certain amount of time. Where is upto both drivers, not one. With 'Min' making the first move, he executed poorly. Unless further communications come to light, 'Sir' was unaware that 'Min' might give up his place and caught him by surprise on a high speed straight. 'Min' (like most drivers) was not made aware that 'Sir' did not know. This is the fia's fault plain and simple. Also, if the Ocon train was right behind these two, 'Min' could not have risked an erractic move on the straight. The simple odds were strongly in favor of 'Min' pulling a risky manuever during the race: If 'Min' causes 'Sir' to crash out, 'Min' leads/wins WDC. If 'Min' causes both to crash out, 'Min' maintains his pts lead. Actual result with 'Min' tied. And finally, If 'Min' crashed out and 'Sir' finishes high, 'Min' loses the lead but still in contention. In 3 out of 4 situations, 'Min' does not lose the lead. In all cases, 'Min' is still in contention for WDC. 'Min' could risk everything and he did.

Championships are won pressing the gas, not the brake.
    I will support whoever wins WDC. What minimal faith I had in FIA is diminished.

13. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Welcome to FChat.

ZeptoLira likes this.
  14. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #64 werewolf, Dec 10, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    Welcome to Fchat :)

No driver has a "right" to brake and slow down dramatically (without cause). In fact, it's a direct violation of the sporting regs.

Max was told to slow-down, and give-up his place. For all Hamilton knew, Max was experiencing a mechanical problem (engine or gearbox failure). There was simply no justification for Hamilton to slow-down behind Max, for 5 or 6 seconds. Hamilton slowing was in no way "necessary", therefore Hamilton was in direct violation of the sporting regs.

Hamilton's decision to apply throttle, while tailgating a slowing driver for several seconds, was very unexpected and erratic. This was Hamilton's second violation of the sporting regs.

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You have forgotten one thing. All Max had to do was crash out Hamilton and himself (like in Italy) and at that very second he wins the championship. Lewis comes up on Max in the middle of the track going slow and first thing my mind says is do you go left, do you go right? is he giving back the spot? or is this a setup for a crash. Lewis has had to yield on every pass as Max just drives straight and dares Lewis to hit him. What's to stop Max from crashing into Lewis (why else is he in the middle of the track) if you have to finish the race to stay in the championship you pause until you get confirmation that Mad Max is giving back the position.

Ferrari 308 GTB and Terra like this.
  16. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    It was simply not necessary for Hamilton to slow behind Max. If Max were experiencing a gearbox problem, would it be necessary for Hamilton to slow behind him? Of course not.

If Max and Hamilton both crashed-out in Saudi ... Max clinched the championship? With one race left? Knowing full well the stewards will crucify Max for deliberately pushing Hamilton into a wall, while slowing to give him back the place on a wide-open straight? I don't see it.

Nope ... i still don't buy the excuse that Hamilton was just too afraid to pass a slowing driver on a wide-open straight.

Finally ... why would Hamilton apply throttle, after 5 seconds of slowing and tailgating Max, if Hamilton were so afraid of a collision? That's the LAST thing to do, if Hamilton were so afraid of contact with Max!

17. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The actual answer is they were 30 yards in front of the DRS line. Max only slows to let someone pass so he can immediately pass back with DRS. Lewis wasn't taking the bait and didn't expect Max to do something as stupid as a brake check. Lewis had to finish the race and win the race and he achieved both, even with Max throwing out a little temper tantrum with the brake check.

surfwolf, Ferrari 308 GTB and Terra like this.
  18. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    That's the "actual answer" as to why Hamilton applied throttle, after 5 seconds of slowing and tailgating Max? Don't see the rationale there ....

Or, is that the "actual answer" as to how Max would clinch the championship, if they both crashed out in Saudi Arabia? Still don't see that one, either ...

In any case, it was not necessary for Hamilton to slow (for 5~6 seconds) and tailgate another slowing driver (who, as it happens, was following orders) ... and it was extremely erratic to apply throttle (!) after slowing and tailgating. That's 2 violations of the sporting regs, as written.

19. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe

Give it a rest! You have been spewing this crap for 5 days now, just stop.
    No reason to continue making yourself look like this is your whole life and reason for existence.
    Or continue to whine and cry non-stop....

20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I heard his son designed this crap circuit. So it's a family business now. Great for F1, on the way to become a corrupt organization.

21. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    You really are obsessed with me, aren't you? You certainly never answer any well-reasoned questions ... you do know that you're free to ignore my posts instead, right?

Do you dream about me, too? Let's see if you can resist the urge to reply any further ;)

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ok,Jos , you are 100% correct, as is your entitled lil brat Max :D

23. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    ^^ another well-articulated post by a Hamilton fanboy!

And yet, no one will answer the very simple question: Why did Hamilton erratically apply throttle, after 5 seconds of unnecessarily tailgating a slowing car?

I know, I know ... just more childish insults. Why am i not surprised?

24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Only Lewis knows the answer to that. Possibly to get out of the way of the petulant lil wannabe hero in front ?

surfwolf likes this.
  25. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Apply throttle to drive right into the back of a slowing car ... to get out of his way. Yep, makes sense to me.

Thanks for playing! :D