Total oil loss | FerrariChat

Total oil loss

Discussion in '308/328' started by Saabguy, Dec 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Hi all, I changed the oil and filter last weekend. 9+ quarts of Mobil 1 0w-40. I ran the engine enough to distribute the new oil, waited 30 min and checked, was reading spot on for full oil, to be specific, it was in the middle of the series of holes.
    Went out today, started engine long enough to move car 20 feet forward. Waited 15 minutes and the oil is now at the MIN mark.

There is no puddle of oil under the car

There is no visible oil in the coolant (No milkshake)

Yes this is the car that showed oil leaking down front bank but I can't see 9 quarts leaking from a standing car without leaving a trace on the ground.

Does this mean that I am losing oil to the gear oil section?

ARRGGHH!

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You may want to check or better yet replace the shift shaft seals, one seal is locate inside between the engine oil bay and the gear box, this is the seal that separates the two oil from mixing. I’m not sure but your engine oil could be sipping through the seal and to the gear box since you mentioned there’s no obvious leak on the floor.

mwr4440 likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Its possible but I am far more suspicious of the methodology of checking the level. It has been so well known they can be difficult to do it with consistent results when we were checking them for possible excess oil usage for warranty the factory had us go through a long process that ended with draining it and weighing it. We were not allowed to just use the dipstick because the factory was so aware of its inconsistency.

Additionally when filling since they have a well known problem with oil starvation in right hand turns either full or a little over is advisable.

tomberlin likes this.
  4. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks Brian. I'll add the last of the oil and check again later.

5. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    Deep breath - things are not as bad as you fear. the difference between "between the dots" and the Min marks is not all 9 quarts. It might be a quart. And a quart difference in reading could be about how long it was draining back, or how empty the system was when you started, or slope you are parked on, or something besides 'all the oil has been stolen by space aliens.'

6. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The manual as I recall says start at operating temperature, turn off, wait 15 minutes, check level.

After doing this a few times, I noted the corresponding level on the dipstick the next morning with a cold/drained engine. It’s slightly above the top hole. I just check mine cold now (easier).

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Is this a 2V carbed engine?

9. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Negative. Its a meat popsicle.

Funny if you get the reference

It's an '88 328

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    ok. no idea about the meat popsicle. But I am heading to The Capital for some fine steak

11. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The oil level in the engine is higher than the oil level in the transmission. If the inner seal is leaking, engine oil will enter the transmission. I discovered this when my inner seal leaked. My '87 328 engine does not burn oil but once when I checked it I found the engine oil level close to the minimum reading on the dipstick and no oil on the garage floor. When I opened the fill plug on the transmission, dark colored liquid poured out. I changed both seals.

Saabguy likes this.
  12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    But it should leak out of the gearbox vent if its open to atmosphere, unless it recircs back to the gearbox no? When my shift shaft seals leaked it was messy out of the vent.

13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    0W oil can run across the gearbox oil seal better than others. The same it can do between the piston and liner.

You could do a compression test: If the compression test is ok, then it's the gearbox seal that drains oil to the gearbox

ciao

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    But in my opinion you only did the second oil check in a wrong way, as it was too cold so it stayed in the engine instead of pouring into the sump immediately.

ciao