FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2021 - Yas Marina - RACE.. ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀ | Page 50 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2021 - Yas Marina - RACE.. ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Dec 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I love this post, and it should be given to every journalist in the British media that decided "Lewis was Robbed" was an appropriate front page headline to their news outlet. It should also be read by every Lewis Hamilton fan and F1 fan in general. I am considering making a video to highlight your points.

2. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Shameful.

Funny, I was recently offered a G-wagon for a good price and passed.

I do have a TTRS in the stable. A fun (nose-heavy) little car.

Bas likes this.
  3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #1228 DeSoto, Dec 15, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    stavura, kes7u, tifosi12 and 4 others like this.
  4. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Where there was an overtake? Max was side by side with Hamilton, in no moment he had a car in front of Hamilton ;)

5. Alexweav79

Alexweav79 Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2009
    Owensville, MO
    Full Name:
    Alex Weaver

It is the issue, pit for the faster tires and you eliminate any opportunity for controversy whatever it may or may not have been. Pit and you pass max instead of being passed. They botched it. I don't disagree that the FIA is inconsistent but it has been that way forever and red bull, mercedes, ferrari, all fans that pay close enough attention, etc. know that. This time it went against mercedes in the last race. Lewis pits, lewis wins.

6. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I have no issue with who pitted. The SC handling gave Max the win.

surfwolf likes this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    My twin 2 years old love ours and I love it’s fuel consumption , It’s the first car I have had 2 years for which I can get 50k above what I paid and basically got paid to drive.

That’s why I love Mercedes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcimino likes this.
  8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Lulu: This is getting manipulated man!!. Some choice of words. He obviously knows about manipulation. love it.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I agree with that.

But there were very few alternatives: Had they led all the lapped cars find their positions, it would have taken too long and the race would have ended under yellow basically handing the win to Hamilton.

The only true other option would have been immediately red flagging the moment after Latifi went into the wall. That would have given everybody a chance to get new tires and guaranteed a finish under green (assuming not more accidents). But would that have changed the outcome? Obviously we'll never know, but it is worth considering:

Lewis and Max would have started again behind safety car or on the grid. Both obviously with fresh soft tires. And then the one (?) or two (?) lap race would have started. Obviously again with Hamilton in the lead and Max in hot pursuit. I would bet $ that Max would have done any kind of maneuver to pass Hamilton and Lewis fearing to have a crash that takes both out would have given way (just as he did in the real race). Max might have taken the lead again, but Hamilton would have a real chance to fight back on same tires. Who would have crossed the line first, we don't know. Could have been Sainz if the two contenders took each other out and Max would still be champion.

I like Hamilton and I love Max, so I'm not too terribly biased (just a bit). After 7 MB titles, 6 of which to Lewis I got tired of the same routine. I'm glad somebody new won. Just as I got tired of all the Vettel wins (and I was a big fan of him) and as I got tired of all the Schumacher wins. Change is good. And I'm sure if we just started the era of Max and he keeps winning for 10 to 15 years (as he said, he'd be happy to continue with RB) I would quickly tire of him as well. Realistically I think we don't have to fear a sudden RB/Max dominance just yet: Next year the cards are mixed anew. Still I think the two protagonists of this year will be the two to duke it out next year and I'm fine with that. If Lewis gets his 8th or Max his 2nd, I'm fine either way. I'm sure after this year it'll be fireworks again. And who knows maybe Ferrari or McLaren will play a bigger part again. And lets not forget Russell in the equation: He'll make it more difficult for Hamilton and might eat some of Lewis points away. Can't wait for 2022.

10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #1235 ingegnere, Dec 15, 2021
    HAM fans are basically crying over the fact that a SC happened. **** happens and you need to adapt and sometimes you’re just S.O.L.

If Merc are smart, they would have had to consider that there was a chance the race would restart. They gambled the race wouldn’t restart—and that somehow the lapped cars would not unlap themselves for some crazy reason—and they lost.

So many times this year and last the 2nd place car in a close battle was more likely to gamble and pit early because the first place team didn’t want to give up track position and would get caught out by the other team’s strategy. This is what happened Sunday and so not the first time a team lost by not pitting.

JJ, Bas, jpalmito and 2 others like this.
  11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    It actually sounded like he didn’t even pronounce it right, saying something like “manipalated”, LOL, like he just learned the word the day before and was told to use it in radio communication. Curiously enough I see that ktu wrote it the same way; the symbiosis with HAM is strong there, man.

But the best comments from HAM were the “that’s dangerous driving” about Perez, and “this guy’s crazy” about Max, LOL. Always, obviously, trying to influence the race director or trying to make himself a martyr to his fans. So pathetic.

JJ, piolaxo, absostone and 1 other person like this.
  12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All true. It's a season so closely matched that a butterfly coughing in the Amazon river would change the results. C'est la vie.

And again: Take out the Hungary and Silverstone result and this would have been clear cut for months. It was only karma that for once Max/RB had some luck on their side.

absostone and Nortonious like this.
  13. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Yes, the elimination of the V8 for 2022 models has driven up used values sharply. Maybe even this one....

Not my thing, but I did tell the owner I'd be interested in his GT2 RS. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Indeed. I think in the post-podium interview Horner commented on it being a fair split-

WDC: Max
    WCC: Merc

I really think Max was the premier driver on the grid this season.

And the Merc was more often the faster car.

stavura, FordGTDriver, SS454 and 2 others like this.
  15. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    go to 1:48 in the video -- this guy and some commenters are much smarter than MB and media

"Woeful
    Bottled
    Flashbacks to Euro finals
    Taking L's
    I truly enjoyed it"

Hammer time.

ingegnere, Nortonious and absostone like this.
  16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I do believe that Max pushed Lewis to a level he never achieved before. I do think they were both in a different league. Just look at by how much they dropped the 3rd driver behind them each race. Their teammates didn't even come close.

Lewis was never as good as this season, especially in the final months where he was driving like Senna on his best days. And Max challenged with a slightly inferior car/engine and prevailed. Speaks volumes for his abilities.

As fans we were blessed to see two titans duking it out on such a high level.

JJ, WPOZZZ, gh0st0 and 4 others like this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    +1

I keep harping on Silverstone and Hungary—but especially Silverstone was just dirty driving and unfair, if we’re discussing unfair—but, obviously, I’m not alone and was very happy to hear Newey say this to the Sky interviewers after the race:

“Inevitably, you start thinking about the year and what we could have done, some unlucky moments, Copse [at Silverstone] in particular which personally still really grinds with me, what happened there.

“And then the Safety Car happened and obviously we got lucky in that sense. There’s no two ways about it, without the Safety Car…

JJ and Bas like this.
  18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As much as I hated to see the Copse event I do believe this fundamentally changed Max as a driver. I'm sure he learned that keeping points is better than ending up in the wall (despite the fact that he claims to do the same thing again) and I think it also made him an iron steel fighter who wouldn't hesitate a moment to do the same thing to a competitor. I think Lewis got away with it there for the very last time. Copse changed Max. From Mad Max to cool as steel Max, taking no prisoners and Lewis knew that, which is why he became so hesitant in Abu Dhabi and avoided Max at all costs.

Bas, FordGTDriver, ingegnere and 2 others like this.
  19. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Apparently Masi already told the teams before the race that there'd be no red flag for a crash at turn 14.

MB was afraid of losing track position because they weren't confident LH could pass Max cleanly. Folded.

Max could have taken LH out also - didn't. Passed cleanly and defended cleanly.

If the last race was "manipulated" dock both drivers the points - Max still wins.

Bas and werewolf like this.
  20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I will never forget the excitement of that last lap. Ever

stavura, trumpet77, tifosi12 and 3 others like this.
  21. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    #1246 Nortonious, Dec 15, 2021
    I had to chuckle.

"I can't watch. I literally can't watch"

....his eyes stay glued to the screen. I'm not even sure he blinked.

absostone likes this.
  22. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Max mentioned in some video about crashing in Monaco and how that made him fearless. And he's refining that.
    What Senna mentioned being in the zone - where you're not consciously driving.

Alonso has it too.

tifosi12, werewolf and Nortonious like this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I mean morally Merc won the race but those appeals are useless and I’m not sure if they will go through with them but they will lose them…
    Imagine they win, then RBR counter sues etc… never ending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    "Eurovision" Dutch entry (w/ possibly correct Eng translation in comments)

25. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    LOL Im speechless like Bono

lagunacc and Nortonious like this.