Testarossa top speed | FerrariChat

Testarossa top speed

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Hipporacer, Dec 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hipporacer

Hipporacer Karting

Jun 26, 2021
    Springfield IL
    Full Name:
    Julia M Stapleton
    Whats the highest speed youve been able to hit in your testarossa. I went out today and was able to get to 140. The engine was reving at about 5k in 5th gear. The acceleration slows quite a bit at that point. And the road didnt have enough room to safely push it higher. So I dont feel like I could push it any more. Im curious what speeds youve been able to obtain in your testarossas.

66MK likes this.
  2. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Not nearly that fast. My tires aren’t new enough to do anything close to that but even if there were I don’t know that I would. I’m curious to see what others say.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Me personally 120, but plenty of pics on this forum and videos online of tr maxed at top speed… scary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rose Red likes this.
  4. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    150 mph for me. I think that’s when my water pump seal finally let go.

Qavion and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Now that the fed 55mph limit was abandoned, I hit 65mph once.

6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Use a GPS, seems like the speedo is off by 10-15mph when you get over 140, it reads much higher than actual

7. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Seriously? We’re these cars not designed for high speed cruising on the highway?

8. Stefan328gts

Stefan328gts Karting
    BANNED

Dec 16, 2013
  9. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    f

nah, for fat guys on beer runs back in the day

Rifledriver likes this.
  10. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    86 modal rudge knock off hubs on fresh TRX tyres bounced off the limiter at indicated 186 mph .
    Seemed to pull strong all the way up to 170 .It’s 42 inch height helps with the aero once you get over 140 .

I had a tussle with a 911 turbo circa 2003 modal and it seemed to bog down around 130 slowed down acceleration upwards where as the TR just kept pulling .Aero differences start to dominate play .Fast cars TR s .It’s 12 pot torque and aero come into play the higher you go.
    Steering lightens up , it’s downside .

Rifledriver likes this.
  11. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    250 km/h in a group at a charity event with a lot of 430s, 599s and 612s.

The UAE's official Ferrari club used to run an annual end of season event where we drive from Dubai to the coast in Fujeirah. Some years we raised money for charity; with the approval of the patrons of the charity event, photo radar was turned off along the route. The issue became that the cameras were turned back on for the return trip to Dubai after lunch (which not everyone remembered).

A 91 TR can keep up reasonably well with newer cars and felt that it definitely could go faster than 250km/h, but its real limitation became obvious when driving on a public highway behind a 430 with carbon ceramic brakes.

Definitely not one of the smarter things I done with my car.

VAF84 likes this.
  12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may go in front of this 430 ;) and drive away

EZORED likes this.
  13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I would need a Koenig twin turbo TR for that. Hmmm, I wonder what that is like?

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I was once going near frankfurt on the autobahn 4 lines but can not remember if I was going 352 km/h or 358 km/h( GPS ). at that speed the street is getting very narrow. suddenly the engine was stottering. was looking at the instruments - all ok. no smoke in the back. so I accelerated again and at the same km/h it was again stottering. during driving home I had the same in 4th gear and then suddenly I knew what is was: RPM limiter in 5th gear, but sorry, don´t know how many RPM :(
    just now have a longer primary gears set and normaly I would reach 400 km/h. but just now in thailand escaping the european wintertime :) an dhave still to orogram the fuel-injection sytsem. finished until 0,4 bars, but it starts making fun at 0.8 bar and then up to 1.3 bar

Qavion and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  15. Hipporacer

Hipporacer Karting

Jun 26, 2021
    Springfield IL
    Full Name:
    Julia M Stapleton
    Wow, some of you have definitely pushed your car to its utmost limits. I have an 87 and am worried about pushing it that hard. Also stopping/braking time. Over 100 I always worry about being able to safely stop should the need arise. Id feel like itd take a mile to come back down to a normal speed. At 150 mph, youre covering 2.5 miles a minute. Over 200 feet per second.

2dinos likes this.
  16. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I like those pictures..that what I like to see! Thank goodness some people are actually using them as intended instead of just garage queens or 30 mph around town.

Stefan328gts likes this.
  17. HBD

HBD Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    SCT
    Hit 125 on gps. But have only had the car a few weeks. There was definitely plenty left to go.

18. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Also, reaction time!
    In Monaco, we saw a BMW doing ~ 160 kph start to pull in front of a rapidly charging 512TR. The BMW quickly swerved back into its lane realizing the "faster traffic". About 300 feet p a s t the BMW, we saw the TR brake lights come on. We all believe it was from that BMW starting to move over. In other words, by the time the driver could apply the brakes, the car was wayyy past the obstacle.

Remember the Porsche 917 coming upon the slower 911 in the 1971 movie Le Mans ?

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you go fast you have to be always very concentrated and think also to all other drivers in front and beside of you - and also from behind - there is always one faster than you :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #23 vincenzo, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    ‘Back in the day’ John Morton did the stunt driving for this movie. He REALLY liked the Cobra over the Daytona. Said the Daytona drove like a truck. He also had a brief cameo in the movie as part of the Jaguar Team.

21. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #24 vincenzo, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The brakes were just OK in 85. By todays standards they stop like a choo choo train.