1985 308 GTS question | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1985 308 GTS question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Classicexoticgirl, Nov 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan

The overheating issues can be readily solved with an updated water pump, new hoses and a pressure tested radiator. I’ve had mine in the San Diego Desert with no issues in Summer with the AC on full shot.

Input a light and imperceptible tint on tbe windshield (inside) and all windows to block the IR and I can keep the chin chilly on medium (2 click) not 4 as before. Also charging the AC system and making sure it’s not leaking also helps. Simple things we forget.

keeping the stock stance and doing 45 degree curbs and speed bumps will always help - 308 or not. Can also install hockey puck/skid plate protectors underneath the chin spoiler to take the abrasions. SLIPLO Universal Front Bumper Scrape Guard Skid Plate Bumper ProtectIon.

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Congrats on your purchase! That 308 looks familiar was it ever owned by someone in Ct or N.Y.? I seem to remember seeing it listed at Forza Motorsport in Ct. awhile back and someone on Fchat bought it. I remember it having the euro front spoiler.

3. ChevyDave

ChevyDave Karting

Dec 21, 2019
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    The lesson I learned recently is: "If someone else on the forum posts about an age/mileage/usage/design deficiency issue, you or your mechanic should take a look at that system the next time the car is serviced."
    This is especially true for critical systems like engine, transmission, fuel delivery, electrical, cooling, brakes, etc that can leave you stranded, lead to a major repair bill instead of minor maintenance bill, or damage/destroy your car if left undiagnoised.
    Even if your car isn't exhibiting any symptoms of said problem, it's possible/probable/almost guaranteed to do so at some point in its future.
    The Cooling System Gremlins ('83 QV) got me the other day and literally appeared out of nowhere after 1,000+ miles of trouble-free, normal-temp driving; including a coolant level check before each outing.
    Proactive maintenance is your friend with these cars. Enjoy your new 308, she's a beaut Clark! ;)

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Not always

Classicexoticgirl likes this.
  5. hawaiizac

hawaiizac Karting

Mar 29, 2018
    Hawaii and Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Hawaiizac
    Congratulations! I also have a black QV. It’s great! I live in Vegas. Thx all for UV tint suggestions! Congratulations again on the car! So fun to drive!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

thorn likes this.
  6. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
  7. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Thank you! The car is actually getting picked up today to come home to me. The car’s history has only had two owners and the car has only been registered in Pennsylvania and Ohio (if I remember correctly). The last owner had it for 13 years.

rob likes this.
  8. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Thank you very much! I can’t wait to get it, it’s being picked up today to come home!

9. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Thank you so much! Yes, I can’t wait to get it and start enjoying it! I agree with all the UV tint suggestions that were posted by another member. The heat is something you and I have in common. Summer in Phoenix and Vegas are brutal. Are you getting any tint done on your car? Or do you already have it on?

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    When you say updated water pump will help cure his overheating issues? I am curiouss, what updated water pump? From the earliest of 308's with around 200 horsepower to the F40 with about 500 horsepower Ferrari used the same pump and its capacity never was in question in keeping the cars cool. What updated pump can cure a non existent problem?

Classicexoticgirl likes this.
  11. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Thank you! I really looking forward to getting the car, it’s leaving today to come home! I agree 100% with the preventative maintenance, we have a 69’ Chevelle so I get it can save you some headaches down the road.

12. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    I would beg to differ with the statement of “nonexistent issue.” I’m not being argumentative to your assertion, but - The statements from quite a few folks on this forum are all intimating cooling issues. When the prevalence of an issue is more than the isolated event it will require some sort of remediation or discussion.
    I’m not casting aspersions on the original designers they did the best with what they had at the time. Materials, vane shape, velocity, and bearing improvements have likely improved over the past 35 years. I’m happy to hear data to the contrary. When I compared the vanes on the pump we installed on my 308 with the one taken off there was a clear difference in the size and density of the vanes - physics would indicate better flow. Lower operating temperatures without changing the thermostat is objective evidence of an effect. Just my observations with my car not an industry wide standard or solution.

13. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan

I offer this objective evidence. There are other “modern pumps that have similar improvements in flow design. @Rifledriver

https://www.nicksforzaferrari.net/nff-performance-water-pumps.html

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Whatever cooling problems some models may have had the water pump was never the cause. The 328 redesign of the nose of the car cured the cooling issues of the 308QV. It retained the same pump. The F40 with a 500 horsepower engine retained the same pump. Sorry but you are clearly wrong.

15. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    You win!

16. G8TD

G8TD Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Houston