Please explain the controversy | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Please explain the controversy

Discussion in 'F1' started by DiamondDog, Dec 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Also per the rules, all of that is "supposed to" happen subject to the overriding authority of the Race Director. But, you already know that.

This is for you, man.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas, crinoid and ktu like this.
  2. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I have more championship pictures than you. You gotta catch up man! 7 more to go and you'll be up there!

JJ likes this.
  3. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Mine are more fun, though!

Isobel, Giallo 550, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  4. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Yes, Masi should always handpick cars in a manner that most benefits Scuderia Ferrari.

Masi didn't want the last race to end under SC. He could have possibly acted faster and all lapped cars would have unlapped themselves in time for one final lap....and the outcome would have been the same.

But you only focus on how the events should have played out in the final lap to garner ham a WDC. You ignore the first lap Turn 7 excursion by ham in which he questionably retook the lead. You overlook ham's lack of ability to get by Checo more promptly. You ignore ham's lack of ability to defend as robustly as Checo on that final lap. And you ignore Merc's possible strategy errors.

Your ham-induced myopia is simply amazing.

JJ, werewolf and ingegnere like this.
  5. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Yesterday's news. I know you are very worried ham may never surpass Schumacher's 7 WDC titles now.

6. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    :) :)

15.3 > 48.13 > 48.12 : This is the "hierarchy of the rules" as written, and understood by the FIA, F1 stewards, race officials ... basically everyone (except a few Hamilton fanboys)

crinoid likes this.
  7. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I see your points - Specifically regarding the track being clear and removal equipment being in a safe location (gosh knows we don't ever want another Jules B situation) - As I have stated, I think Masi (perhaps with influence from other sources) made the call to ensure the race/season did not end behind a safety car - there is heated debate as to whether the track was clear (I certainly did not see any debris or equipment on/near the track - but I was too busy watching a RACE as opposed to a PARADE :) ) - I understand the rule/need to get the backmarkers/lapped cars out of the way but allowing ALL of them to overtake the safety car was not feasible in the time left and not allowing any would have resulted in the race/season ending with a Parade versus a Race.

I do see your points and there are great passionate points on both sides of the spectrum - I think Masi was in a difficult situation and made the call in the spirit of having a dramatic, exciting ending - perhaps the wrong call in hindsight but none of us were in his chair and I definitely don't believe he made the call to favor Max.

Love having good, passionate discussions with intelligent, well-spoken and knowledgeable people - Thanks for the chat and viewpoints - Cheers :)

surfwolf, Terra and ktu like this.
  8. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Nope. Maybe more desperate, but not fun. Come on you need to find more, you're not even close to Ham

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Get over it already!

stavura and werewolf like this.
  10. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Thanks!

11. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Ham has more records, I'm good.

12. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Sir, in what parallel world you live to consider it to "break the rules?"

crinoid and werewolf like this.
  13. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    hamilton desperately wanted to surpass Schumacher's 7x WDC, and it didn't happen.

stavura, Isobel, Giallo 550 and 5 others like this.
  14. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    According to @ktu, it's better to end a race under safety car AND Kelly Piquet doesn't have curves. o_O

absostone, Jeronimo GTO, Bas and 2 others like this.
  15. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Let me clarify. The question states top 2 drivers. Not only Ferrari. You think Masi should repeat this decision next race??

16. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I want Norris to get a new engine every race. I want to see him race. I'll see if FIA can override the rules.

17. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I would strongly disagree (WADR) on both :) :)

18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    #93 LVP488, Dec 17, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    If it's mid-race, there is time for all lapped cars to unlap and still resume the race to have it end under green flag. So there is no question and no overriding to consider.
    Now with Latifi's crash so close to the end of the race, taking the time to have all cars unlapping would have led to end the race behing the safety car - so actual racing would not have resumed (to the delight of Hamilton, I can understand that); on the other hand, keeping all cars lapped (as initially considered, and would also have been an overriding of the usual procedure) would have kept cars between the first and second in the race, and erased the typical catch-up of the chasing car normally permitted by a safety car (also to the delight of Hamilton, since there would not have been enough laps for Verstappen to overtake all lapped cars and eventually be able to challenge Hamilton's lead).
    The funny point is that any other decision than the one taken would have given the title to Hamilton without a final fight, whereas the decision made did give Verstappen the chance to fight for (and eventually win) the title - it was not a given that in one single lap, a slower car (which it was in this race) would be able to overtake a faster car, even though this one was running on older tyres.

FordGTDriver and JJ like this.
  19. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #94 Terra, Dec 17, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    (1) LH didn't retake the lead - - he ALREADY was in the lead.

(2) Getting around Checo more promptly wasn't about ability. LH had to be very circumspect lest the two of them made contact (i.e. LH had to finish AHEAD of Max in order to win the championship).

(3) LH's lack of defense against Max on that final lap was due to his tires being over 40 laps old. Being as LH needed to finish AHEAD of Max in order to win the championship, LH was very mindful of that - - getting taken out by Max on that last lap wouldn't have done him a bit of good. Again, not a question of ability.

20. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Nice explanation, thanks.\

FordGTDriver likes this.
  21. F430 F1 Singapore

Mar 4, 2016
    Singapore
    Michael Masi has finally brought true sporting tradition to F1.

That is, if you consider "Professional" Wrestling a "Sport".:D

ben73, Ferrari 308 GTB, Terra and 2 others like this.
  22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    He did RE take the lead because he left the track. If you’re OFF the track it doesn’t matter if you’re ahead of someone who is on the track.

So what. Tough ****.

Tires, AND he left a huge gap into the turn.

JJ and Bas like this.
  23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not just masi, but all teams agreed to this as well.

merc > shot > own foot

Nortonious and JJ like this.
  24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ah so you agree that Max's penalty for the same offense in jeddah was bs then

Nortonious and JJ like this.
  25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's not true, is it? If Mercedes was so obviously right, the race would be overturned and lewis be champion.

But they're not so confident, otherwise they'd simply have persued it.

Flavio_C, Nortonious and JJ like this.