360 - CS MAF on standard 360? | FerrariChat

360 CS MAF on standard 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sean F., Dec 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Is is possible to retrofit a 360 CS MAF sensor, that I understand are larger than the standard MAF sensor, hence and increase in airflow?

I’m scheduling a Mase tune so I’m thinking there would be an added benefit to have more airflow with the tune?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    If the the tune is set up for them yes I would use them. Using them on mine with the AV tune and working great

3. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    You will also need a different air filter cover with the larger diameter tubes. See Phil@R-Tuned for CS air filter covers

dhalperin13 likes this.
  4. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Other than the MAF sensors and filter box covers, what else? Would I need a new flexible connector between the MAF sensor and intake?

5. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    No, you can use the existing flex connectors. Have the same setup on mine, also tuned by Mase.

6. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    How do you like it? Did you notice a difference in the performance?

7. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Definitely a good set up you will love it with the right tune

8. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    clean512 likes this.
  9. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    duck.co.za likes this.
  10. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Yes, there is a difference in performance but when Mase did the tune, he changed it maps to modified CS maps based my specs. So, I can't really say what "one" mod did, it's more of a series of mods.
    ...and yes, I have the clone CS airbox lids as well since the actual CS lids are unobtainium... View attachment 3256535 Image Unavailable, Please Login

clean512 likes this.
  11. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Thanks for the replies, I just ordered a set of CS intake covers from Exotic Recycling as they had them in stock…now to get the side panels and rear window covers!

12. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    What rear window covers

13. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Do mean the large side panels or the small extension ones by the muffler? If you are looking for the small ones, OEM panels are NLA. Someone does make them in carbon but not in full height on the passenger side/F1 side

14. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I was referring to the covered on the sides of the rear glass window.

Also, which MAF sensor am I looking for? I found a post that says the PN is Bosch 0280218085, which is the same as the F430. However the Bosch auto website says this is not the correct PN for the F430.

Anyone?

15. EhellGuapo

EhellGuapo Karting

Sep 25, 2016

I put them on mine. Dyno results below and mods are in the video description.

Ghostdiver, tonyc and clean512 like this.
  16. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    The vents on either side of the glass in CS style are available from several aftermarket companies to fit the OEM glass lid. If you are looking for true CS vents, I may be mistaken, but I believe that those only fit an actual CS lid. Just checked my MAF's....can't help you there as it looks like I bought BNIB Ferrari units for $215 each.

17. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Do they have a Bosch PN on the side of them?

18. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Here's a pic from the box. Numbers are on the bottom side of the MAF I believe. However, I think those might be just assembly numbers rather than the actual Bosch P/N. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll see if I can get a pic from the underside but right now, it's not pretty damn cold. We're experiencing a pretty harsh cold front down here in Texas....37 deg with a windchill of 32. Garage is in the 40's right now so we are bundled up around the fireplace. I mean, seriously for Christmas it was in the 80's.... :)

19. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
  20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just to give you some perspective here on what's going on and why larger afms might be useful (or not) to your particular case let's discuss further. It really all depends on your state of tune and ambition.

Venture into the higher RPM end of the engine and at higher engine loads (specifically torque from throttle pedal requests) the stock 360 power output tails off considerably.

You can see this on official Dyno pulls, its because for the given amount of metered air the restrictions to airflow starts to become one of the restrictions to flow. This is actually not too far from the limiter, actually it's about the last 1000rpm which is impacted. What this means is there is little point chasing the highest rpms or the limiter on a stock car with stock exhaust, cats and factory calibrations. The airflow is already restricted in multiple areas, the exhaust flow is also restricted too, hence tail off in power which you can see, measure and feel when driving close to the limit.

I imagine at the time of production it was perceived that it wasn't worth the extra costs of larger afms chasing the last few hp gain, especially considering most cars where spec'd with a stock backbox.

All of this ofcourse was eventually optimized by the time of the launch of the Challenge Stradale (stock backbox had a bypass of almost entire backbox when open!) So back pressure was no longer a huge problem. Now engineers could also part share the larger afms with the upcoming F430 (due to be released) and hence have a benefit without any additional cost (except for the remapping of airflow calibration tables) within the ECU which map given airflow better at the higher RPM.

So really you need a free flowing backbox, ideally sports cats too before afms need to be looked at as the next restriction. At this point it makes sense to upgrade afms because now exhaust (getting burned gases out is no longer the restriction), now it's getting more airflow in... The VE volumetric efficiency can be thus improved in collaboration with some recalibration of tables used by ECU as now we have plenty of air flow available which we can use to make higher power at higher rpms and we have ability to get those spent gases out too!

Hope this makes sense..

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just to put all this into perspective the difference in size of the meters.. what does it actually equate to? Well the 360 Modena Air Flow Meters can read up to ~900 kg/h of airflow whereas the larger diameter of the Challenge Stradale variant can read up to ~1200 kg/h...

That's ~25% more airflow at peak voltage...

360 Modena Challenge Stradale/F430 430 Scuderia
    0.0 V : ...-47 kg/h 0.0 V : ...-57 kg/h 0.0 V : ...-100 kg/h
    1.0 V : .....0 kg/h 1.0 V : .....0 kg/h 1.0 V : ......0 kg/h
    2.0 V : ....49 kg/h 2.0 V : ....58 kg/h 2.0 V : .....92 kg/h
    3.0 V : ...156 kg/h 3.0 V : ...193 kg/h 3.0 V : ....295 kg/h
    4.0 V : ...395 kg/h 4.0 V : ...514 kg/h 4.0 V : ....811 kg/h
    5.0 V : ...924 kg/h 5.0 V : ..1207 kg/h 5.0 V : ...1532 kg/h

The CS AFM's are 25% larger in airflow potential than the Stock Modena ones and the 430 Scuderia ones are +20% larger than the stock F430 but it has Ion Sensing and produces as much as 550hp...

dhalperin13 likes this.
  22. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    #22 Sean F., Feb 4, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  23. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Did Ferrari do anything special on the Challenge car ecu since they use the same Air Flow Meter as the Modena?