488 Challenge Evo - Connection point for battery charger | FerrariChat

488 Challenge Evo - Connection point for battery charger

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by 4_Eff_Sake, Dec 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Most certainly this is a rookie question, but can anyone give me information (or even better - a photo) on where I can connect a CTek charger to my 488 Challenge Evo? I know its somewhere down in the passenger side footwell, but can’t quite figure out where.

Also - is anyone else surprised about the lack of owners documentation/manuals that (don’t) come with the car? Does anyone have a source for technical documentation for that car?

Thx

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I don't keep mine but rather stop it at a race shop and I have never seen it plugged in.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  3. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Normally the same for me, but I decided to bring it home to my garage over Christmas/New Year until our track program starts up again next year

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'm not sure they use a tender. I believe everything shuts down and it doesn't draw any power. I've never seen any of our cars plugged in.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    All our cars are plugged in. It is an aftermarket addition and new this month as we have not run them since Road America. I won't have a chance to see them until January but when I do I will photograph the chargers and connections.

4_Eff_Sake and Gh21631 like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'll have to ask our folks, I've never noticed them plugged in nor have we had any power issues like the street cars.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  7. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you all for your comments. Problem solved…

First photo is the charger plug mounted on the roll cage next to passenger side door.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Solution is to first obtain a CTek Lithium Ion charger, then purchase an Anderson plug compatible with the charger plug in the car.

Cannibalise the wires that come with the CTek that have the round ends, and wire them into the Anderson plug, as per the third photo.

Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farbod Farmand and Gh21631 like this.
  8. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Where did you source that Anderson plug? Is there a particular model number?

9. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It’s an “Anderson SB175 75 Amp Housing Only - Yellow”, Model 943

I’m not sure what part of the world you’re in to direct you to the best supplier. Here in Australia it was Anderson Connect

www.andersonconnect.com.au

They’re about AUD$11

10. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I forgot to mention, you will also need to purchase the two contacts that attach to the end of the wires and then sit inside the housing. They were obtained through the same supplier and are Model 1348. They’re about a dollar each. Description is “Anderson SB175 & PP180 Contact Only”

11. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Thank you Scott!

4_Eff_Sake likes this.