Dino DIY - Changing Transaxle/gearbox Oil | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino DIY - Changing Transaxle/gearbox Oil

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Nov 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    Be careful if you use your finger to feel for the oil. I did similar last week by sticking my finger in the gearbox drian opening. Bent finger through 90deg to sweep and got a nasty cut from the bur on the inside of the sump. Level plug may have similar.
    Kevin

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #27 synchro, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

The alternative fill locatiion is on the left (driver's side) of the engine compartment just below the air filter housing, highlighted in the second photo. The air filter housing must be removed unless you are very good at working in tight areas. I believe I recall the fill plug requires a 24mm wrench to remove.
    Hope this helps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Thanks mate great help,how come your engine light switch bracket is bent down mine was removed during restoration have yet to figure alternate fixing method, maybe spot weld the best option.

4. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    #29 possum, Jan 8, 2009
  5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You got it!
    Could you please size the fill plug, is it 22 mm or 24 mm?

6. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Sorry Scot.mac but the engine is in the car now,will be draining the gearbox soon and filling through that plug so will get an acurate size then.

7. DinoDriver

DinoDriver Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Ebert
    Scott, on top of the transfer case is 22mm. The fill plug on the transaxle case is 24mm. 7/8" and 15/16", respectively, also works fine.

Bill

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'm changing the tranny fluid this morning.

I un-did the air cleaner so I could get to the upper filler, took that plug out.

I then un-did the main fill plug (that is lower and faces the rear) and to my surprise fluid GUSHED out of this hole. I expected a slow dribble as the fluid should have only been to the bottom of this fill plug, true?

After this I took out the 2 drain plugs and plenty drained there as expected.

I'm assuming when it was last filled maybe it was filled from the upper hole and not enough time was allowed for it to level off at the lower fill hole?

I think it was about to the top of the lower fill hole, do you think this could have caused any problems?

The 2 drain plugs were caked with metal sludge as expected but it was only pasty and not granular.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Uro,

Next time park the car on a level surface. :D

As to the rest of your serious questions, I have no idea where it is supposed to filled to. I had a trained professional do that.

What did you put back in? (brand and weight.)

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    True (or maybe even a little low to account for some weepage), but only if all is OK.

Could be a factor, or they did a short-cut and just refilled via the top by refilling a (guessed) fixed volume without ever removing the lower fill plug. The other possibility is that you are getting some migration of engine oil into the gearbox via the internal shift shaft seal. Since you've now noted a problem, make sure you record how much volume of gearbox fluid you put in after fully draining (to compare with what volume you get out next time), and note/track how much engine oil you are having to put in (although your overvolume wasn't uber "huge" so, if over a long time, might not be easy to detect as unusual engine oil use).

11. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Well Swepco 201, of course.

:)

Actually I'm giving it a day to drin, I'll fill in the AM tomorrow.

I'm suspecting this was it.

the second plug in the transfer case drain was HEAPED with metal paste and very difficult to remove making me think it had been there for a very long time.

12. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    BTW, if you do fill from the upper hole ( the transfer case hole) you need A LOT of patience.

After 30 minutes I had a pool about 8 inches in diameter, maybe 2 ounce.

I let it drain over night and there was about 10 or 12 ounces in the pan this morning.

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    QUESTION - Should the Dino transaxle case exterior be restored by painting or natural exposed aluminum?
    Thank you in advance

I like Paul/Rob's restoration here:
    http://dino246blog.blogspot.ca/2012/03/doing-work-of-sand-restoring-damaged.html

Sorry for getting to this late, the mounting tab is horizontal, not bent down, so is an optical illusion. Sorry for the bad camera angle.

Swepco 201 or Red Line 75-90NS are the fluids that many remark about positively
    http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-58304-Non-Limited-Synthetic/dp/B000CPI5Y6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #39 abstamaria, Feb 27, 2016
    This to thank Scott for this useful resource (and all the others who contributed), which I reread too before changing my gearbox oil today. Thankfully, the main filler plug unscrewed easily (it is stuck on my Stratos). I removed both drain plugs. A surprising amount of gear oil came out of the secondary drain on the side. I used 8 quarts of Redline 75-90NS.

15. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    Dusting off this old (and very helpful to me) thread to add my experience:
    1) The top fill plug on the transfer case was in fact 22mm, and was relatively easy to take out by removing the left rear tire and splash panel. (I had removed the 2 air filter bolts and detached the air intake hose clamp and hose and scootched it over in investigating from the top, but in hindsight I am not sure that was necessary).
    2) When removing the drain plug from the transfer case, I too had a fair bit of fluid come out. Mine had a magnetic plug with a fair bit of sludge (not particles) on it that I wiped off.
    3) I like some others had a heck of a time getting the "level" plug out. Someone had machined the 24mm hex on mine down to 22mm, and I could not find a 6 point 22mm wrench or socket, and I rounded it in my attempts; I ended up having to carefully cut off the flange in-situ by hand with a hacksaw and dremel tool and patience), and I replaced it with a new 24mm plug (fairly readily available for about $50). Luckily the washer was there as a buffer so I was able to avoid marring or scarring the surface around the hole Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login .
    4) The allen wrench for the drain plug was 12mm, not 10mm
    5) I needed a total of 3 22mm ID copper crush washers (2 drain & 1 fill plug), and 1 26mm ID copper crush washer (level plug).
    6) I used 4.5 quarts of Redline MTL (bought 1 gallon + 1 quart), filling from the top of the transfer case until it dripped out of the bottom of the fill hole.
    7) While not the exact same fasteners, this youtube video does a nice job explaining things using a 308.

Apologies the photos seem to be out of order. Happy motoring!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

UroTrash likes this.
  16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Glad you liked my video. I agree the fasteners on a Dino may be different but the basic procedure is the same.

mccand likes this.
  17. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    McCand - I suspect, and suggest, that the "sludge" on your drain plug is in fact ferrite metal ground to a fine power. You can test this with a strong magnet. The plug has two magnets embedded in it to catch this gruel else it will get into bearing, etc.

Jim S.

18. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    Yes, it was very fine ferrous material which was attracted to the magnet there. It made me thankful for the magnet as I’d rather have it there than running around the gears and bearings! If it were flakes I’d be concerned, but it was very fine/smooth and not huge volume. By the way, I meant to add, the MTL made a BIG difference in drive-ability for me! The records I have show the last change in 2005, ~8,000 miles ago… it shifts much more easily for me now, both cold and hot. The synchros seem happier!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    does the dino have hypoid gears?

20. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name: