Will Lewis quit & who is available to replace him ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Will Lewis quit & who is available to replace him ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by greyboxer, Dec 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Ah, I was remembering it wrong. Russell replaced Hammy, not Bottas. Still, a backmarker driver dropped into the Merc and led (and almost won) the race. So really any decent driver could replace Sir Whinesalot

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/36305/12153661/george-russell-gutted-as-mercedes-sakhir-gp-win-is-taken-away

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ if i remember russell was ordered to backoff of a win.

3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Mick.

mcimino and Bas like this.
  4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    The most appropriate ending for a champion is to walk out after the last race/out/clock in a victory in a championship setting. Rosberg did it in 2016; Peyton Manning did it in 2015 & John Elway in 1999 both did it by retiring after they won the Super Bowl. Landon Donovan did it after winning the MLS Championship in 2014; and the best retirement I can think of is Bobby Jones, who won the Grand Slam and immediately retired from competitive golf at 28 years old.

No way IMHO Hamilton quits, and we'll only know a few years from now if Russell comes in and passes him, or if he can scale the mountaintop one more time. The uncertainty of the changes for 2022 make it much more of a wildcard than if it happened in the past eight years, but I don't think he'll be able to resist coming back. In my experience, people are far less interested in "justice" than in getting even, and Hamilton will really want to get even with F1, Verstappen, the haters, and Masi. If he does win, my bet is he'll retire within days afterward.

FordGTDriver and blkfxstc like this.
  5. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #30 Mark(study), Dec 18, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    The reason Red Bull got as close as they did to MB level performance this season is MB is so excited about the 2022 formula and their advantage with the technology that they didn't develop the 2021 car but instead worked to pour their resources into the next generation car. 2022 MB will most likely lap the field. Red Bull spent all their time in effort in the 2021 car even though its a dead-end formula. They will be behind in the 2022 car development which is hard to overcome with the new budget caps.

The only person who will have a shot a Lewis is his teammate. I'm sure this is why Lewis spent so long in contract negotiations as he wanted to be sure he would be the #1 on MB when he did come back for the next 3 years of a MB dominate run if they have the technology advantage that is being talked about in the industry.

SimCity3, Ferrari 308 GTB and Phil~ like this.
  6. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jeronimo GTO, TurboFreak650 and Bas like this.
  7. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting you could be right with that.

However I wouldn't blame Lewis if he told them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, after that farcical end to the season.
    Totally embarrassing for all concerned, Max and Lewis guilty of nothing but trying their hell bent best to win.

8. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Let's hope it's immediately. I spent a little time today reviewing some of the epic battles between MS and MH. How those two conducted themselves at the very top end of the sport sadly makes LH look like a complete whiny ****. Especially in interviews.

I hope LH ends up selling fake gold jewellery or out of tune downloads, but please, get out of F1.

9. Forza SF

Forza SF Rookie

Mar 8, 2020
    It's still we cry

TurboFreak650 and Giallo 550 like this.
  10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ocon ,still managed by Toto;)

11. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Lewis quit heading into turn 5 on lap 58. He's beaten and done.

TexasF355F1 and TurboFreak650 like this.
  12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ok I'll agree if it stops you bleating on about it... :rolleyes:
    Horner asked for a miracle, and he got one, end of story.

polishhammer83 and TurboFreak650 like this.
  13. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Ok, then Elton has enough. And he got spanked recently. Can't have it all, all the time.

;)

14. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The Racing Gods were wise. It was time for a change.

15. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    And Max would have been well ahead at the end this year if at Mercedes, still the best overall team and car.

Sir Princess Lulu has never outdriven his car for a season to win over a superior team.

Schumacher did, and so did Senna, Prost, and now Max.

SimCity3, JJ and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I hope it ain't gonna happen because I'd love to see Lewis being paired with a real driver. Once Russell is in that second car, it won't be the same walk in the park anymore as it was with Bottas.

That said, if he leaves MB has the next best thing with Russell. They could put any monkey into the second car, wouldn't matter much.

TifosiConch, TurboFreak650 and JJ like this.
  17. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I don't think Bottas would want to come crawling back just to be a #2 driver again once Russell takes over the helm.

TurboFreak650 likes this.
  18. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    And the first car.

19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I agree but will Russell get the same equipment. No Georgy! No! Lewiz needs the brake magic, Lewiz gets the chassis, wing engine etc.

crinoid likes this.
  20. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    #45 ktu, Dec 19, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    When did Senna win a championship without the best car? Hamilton did it in 08. Name one thing Max has done that Lewis hasn't done.
    I'll start. Lewis has won in more mechanical cars nearly 15 years ago. Fchat has been in agreement that these new hybrid cars "drive themselves" Max has only won in the hybrid era.

21. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Max has won without cheating and without the help of the FIA. Lewis has done neither.

furoni, Nortonious, fil and 1 other person like this.
  22. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    So much garbage in this thread yet again. Why do people want Lewis to leave F1? It’s already a sport full of pay drivers and daddy drivers. Why do you want one of the actual competitive drivers to leave? It’s completely illogical and makes no sense. Rather than calling for Ham to go, call for the garbage to go - stroll, Mazespin, Bottas, Perez, Albon, Latifi - and on and on. We need the good drivers to stay in the sport and not chase them out because, a. they had the fortune of driving a great car for a few years, or b. they wear weird clothes. It’s ridiculous behaviour and really quite juvenile.

23. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    At some point you gotta stop letting hate direct your thinking man. My goodness. Do you know how much the FIA influenced Schumacher and Ferrari? But I can still say Schumacher earned his titles. That's because I focus on being a true fan instead of placing hate above everthing else.

24. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    What kind of hate, precisely, are you referring to?

25. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Hate against Hamilton. You give him no credit for anything. Everything he achieves was because of something else. But everything another champion achieved was because of them.