Window motor help needed... It's been kicking my... | FerrariChat

Window motor help needed... It's been kicking my...

Discussion in '308/328' started by TommyA, Dec 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    So I have decided to clean the window motor gears and replace the cable. All went smooth until the driver side window motor started acting up. When the window reaches the full top or bottom position it's making a very loud cranking noise. I took it apart again and inspected all parts. Re-installed and the same problem again. Window is moving nice and smooth with no binding anywhere. The spring washers have plenty of tension and are facing the correct way. It appears that when the window reaches it's full travel up or down, the cam is putting so much tension on the big gear that it's forcing it up making it jump on the cam thus making the loud cranking noise. The only possible fix that I can think of is to add a washer under the spring loaded washer to eliminate any possible slack and keep things tighter. Currently there is no play up or down on the assembly. Any ideas?

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You've confirmed that the noise is coming from the motor itself, and not any of the other pulleys that the cable wraps around?

3. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    Is there some limit switches on something that stops the drive when the window has reached the full open or closed position? Do they just need adjustment now?

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    No limit switches. There is a place where the cables cross over each other. If you got them oriented wrong (front one in back and back one in front) they make some interesting noises when things get tight close to the end of travel.

I been here, and this job is very picky and takes some time to figure out where everything should be.

5. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Yes, the noise is coming from the motor. As a matter of fact I have confirmed that the cam is turning at full stop causing the loud noise.

6. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Brian the routing of the cables is correct and identical on both sides. Just the one side is causing the problem.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Possibly the spring washer has worn out?

There was one tutorial where a slight sanding of the bearing block that holds the spiral gear was required to clear some slight binding....

8. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Well on the fourth try it corrected itself. I have made some changes. Replaced the big gear with the other motor and winded the cable the opposite way from the way I was doing it. I started winding it from from the outside edge going in.... Loosened the nuts holding the motor to the assembly. It was so tight that there was no play at all on the bushing connecting the motor to the shaft (maybe it was offsetting the cam?). Not sure what made the difference.... :( Back to the passenger side window and see if switching the big gear will cause the problem on that motor. What a nightmare... second day on the project.

9. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    I switched the large gears and now the problem is on the window that received the gear that was giving me the issue. Even though the gear looks perfect, I guess there is some wear on it and that causes the problem.

10. rmgaiss

rmgaiss Rookie

Feb 15, 2005
    Lake City, FL
    Check out Heidi and Franny's garage on YouTube. She did a great job on showing this and explaining it.

Saabguy likes this.