Coolant leak ... where from? :( | FerrariChat

Coolant leak ... where from? :(

Discussion in '348/355' started by nostra, Feb 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nostra

nostra Rookie

Oct 30, 2012
    Munich / Germany
    Full Name:
    Max
    Hi,

yesterday I found a coolant leak under my car. Some weeks ago when I bought the car and drove it to my garage there was also a leak.
    It was not much... I guess around 200-300ml.

From that day I picked up the car I only moved the it from garage to another one next to it to repair some stuff. On that short distance (engine only runs for some minutes) the car did not leak any coolant. Only when the water gets "warm" it leaks coolant.
    Also it does not really leak when it runs. If you shut it down and place it in the garage after engine warmed up it is starting to leak.

Unfortunately I could not find the leak. It is somewhere around the water pump. Found some drips on the crankshaft sensor which leads me to the conclusion that the leak is somewhere above where I cant see due to the plastic cover.

What I did now is tighten all clamps around the hoses next to the pump. One was very loose but I did not find any coolant when I touched it on the lower end.

So ... any more ways to debug this? Is the water pump of the 348 likely to leak? Any common errors that I maybe miss?

The car had a major service 4.000 miles ago in at a Ferrari dealer...

If it is really the water pump leaking only way to replace is it is to pull the engine and loosen the belt .. right?

Thanks,

Max

2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Just a a guess...but...

Cold, no pressure in the system.

Heated up, pressure builds.

Options for a leak with pressure:

1. Hose clamps loose
    2. Drain plugs loose or broken
    3. Radiator cap loose or worn
    4. Water pump seal leaking
    5. Catastrophic other things like head gaskets, etc but I doubt that.

Sorry, but based on your description of the leaks general location and the 355 history my guess is #4.

It is why guys rebuild that pump at almost every engine out service interval.

Let us know what you find.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    On the 348, the WP is driven by the timing belt so the engine has to come off to replace the WP.

4. LAracer

LAracer Karting

Jan 4, 2008
    Northern NM
    Full Name:
    Phil
  5. V 12

V 12 Karting

Aug 24, 2010
    I Found one on my 348 after the major and it was some Hose clamps loose.

Try to retighten all hose clamps (Water pumo, and hoses that came from inside the car.

I found some coolant on AC and alternator belts.

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    On my 355, no leaks, until I return from a drive up my steep driveway & then park her in the garage. Turns out her radiator cap was weak. She & the 308 still spit out a little from the overflow hose due to the driveway, but not much.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It is likely the pump, yes the engine needs to come out to fix it.

The timing belt should also be replaced as they are not meant to be tensioned more than once.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Check the small long hose that is connected to the back of the cross over pipe under the plenums. The one in the middle of the coolant temp sensors, which runs to the expansion tank. It's in the oil filter area. They have a tendency to go bad.

These threads while give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355/367880-348-losing-coolant.html
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355/293840-coolant-hose-warning-348s.html

On a side note, it also helps if you have your profile filled out. That way we know what kinda car we are talking about. Capiche?

9. nostra

nostra Rookie

Oct 30, 2012
    Munich / Germany
    Full Name:
    Max
    Thanks for all the tips!
    Updated the profile right away (it is a 348 ts 92).

I will look at those locations and I also bought a small endoscope thing to look at the water pump.

Before I will remove the engine I found this page and a thread that says you can replace the pump by accessing it from the tank space and this thread how to remove it:
    My Ferrari 348 - 348 Fuel Tank Removal

Any comments on that?

Thanks,

Max

10. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Forget it!

2NA likes this.
  11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Do not try and change the timing belt by removing the tank. Again, do NOT try and change the timing belt by removing the tank. Those instructions are only for removing the tank. The thread they were taken from, with permission, was this one http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q/193188-348-gas-tank-removal.html If you go to the last page of that thread, I posted a couple of pictures of the cross brace blocking the crank bolt.

So just trust us on this, remove the engine if you are going to change the timing belt.

Oh, and thanks for updating your profile.

12. nostra

nostra Rookie

Oct 30, 2012
    Munich / Germany
    Full Name:
    Max
    The question was more like: "is there a way to not replace the timing belt since it was replaced 10 months ago and fix the waterpump while removing the tank" :)

But anyway - I understood that the engine needs to come out anyway.

I keep you posted if I find the leak... Thx

13. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #13 ernie, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    Ah, I understand the question now. Unfortunately the timing belt must come off in order to change the water pump. I suppose if the only thing you are doing is replacing the water pump it's possible.

14. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US

Hi Ernie,

Haven't posted in a while. I have a leak by my passengers radiator. Pulling the tire tomorrow and shield to see what's going on. What is the pressure that the 355 should have in the coolant system, 15lbs? Thanks brother.

Boaf

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You can test at 15-18psi. A lot of these hose look good on outside but are old and hard as a rock. When hoses loose suppleness they get leaky. You can stop the leak then it happens again due to lack of suppleness under heat cycling.

ernie and Qavion like this.
  16. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    ^ what fatbillybob said ^

In addition, while you have the system under pressure check the condition of the radiator cap. I had one that went bad and it was releasing coolant from the overflow hose, which in a 348 empties on the passenger side of the car.

17. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Thanks BillyBob!

18. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    I will, thanks Ernie. It looks like my overflow goes straight down the engine bay. In a 355, does it route to the Passenger side? I will check that when I pull the wheel off.

Boaf

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    On 355 that hose should be attached and run down left side where trans attaches to engine.

20. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Loose clamp, tightened them both and we'll see. Put the replacement part in my cart at Ricambi just in case. Thanks Ernie, fatbillybob.

ernie likes this.
  21. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks for the update

22. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Well, the c;amp is secure, but have a little drip. Ordered one from Ricambi, but they are out of stock. They refunded and they don't know when they will have more. Thoughts about a second source? Not Eurospares, but did inquired to All Ferrari Parts. Think I dare go to my local parts dealer (NAPA, those types of folks)?

Thanks Ernie

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Likely not the clamp. Its the old hard hose.

25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Which hose? The only hose you have mentioned is the overflow hose and it can't be that.