Blaupunkt install | FerrariChat

Blaupunkt install

Discussion in '308/328' started by pedders, Dec 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pedders

pedders Karting

Apr 25, 2010
    So, I am getting rid of this which the previous owner installed:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

...and replacing it with this, a 1979 Blaupunkt Koln (now with a bluetooth dongle so it can connect to my phone). Should look much better in my '79 308 GTB.

I have a question to which I assume I know the answer (but clearly assuming is a dangerous thing).

The current modern head unit is connected to a permanent live, so it can be switched on even when there is no key in the ignition. I am assuming this is wrong, and it should be a switched live, but would appreciate the confirmation before I set about the wiring.

Many thanks in advance.

JonWH likes this.
  2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    You are correct. Unless you really want to listen to the radio with car not running/ignition off.

3. pedders

pedders Karting

Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks Saabguy - much appreciated.

4. pedders

pedders Karting

Apr 25, 2010
    Hi all

Conscious this isn't the most riveting thread, and I certainly don't mean to contradict you, Saabguy, but I don't suppose there's anyone out there with a 1979 308 who could tell me if their stereo is wired to a switched live (i.e. goes off when you turn the ignition off), or stays on regardless of ignition on or off ?

I was all set to make good a bodge wiring job from a previous owner's radio install, when having got the previously installed radio out of the car, it would seem that all of the original loom wiring is present and correct, with just the minimum of connectors to wire it up to the connector (now removed) modern stereo - apologies to any previous owners for the anticiapted slur!

The (permanently)| live feed is a grey wire, which agrees to the wiring diagram in the back of the manual, and appears to run back to the correct place on the fuse block.

Am starting to think this is how it has always been from new.

Thank you.

5. Jubilee77

Jubilee77 Rookie

Nov 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Andrew Pope
    Hi,
    I have just purchased a 308GTBi with a similar SONY neon disco style headset installed! I have purchased a BLAUPUNKT ESSEN from there current retro range,
    Its a CD Player, DAB radio , MP3 with USB port and bluetooth , you can connect and run you phone handsfree etc through the speakers. £139.00! Bargain.
    And it looks period, so no silly neon lights etc....

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It's not right but not completely "wrong" either. In other words you just have to remember to turn it off when you turn your car off, but besides that it won't hurt anything wiring the other one the same way. My Scirocco has been wired that way since before 1985 when I got it, lol.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My stereo will turn on, with key off. I've stopped caring.

With the car 100% in every other way, I'm leaving well enough alone. ;)

8. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Is this the unit you purchased? Could not see a specific retro range on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I have a period correct and maybe original alpine head unit in my 87 328! It looks like it was there since the beginning. When turn the car off, you need to turn the radio off as well or it will stay on. You also need to lower the antenna. In my 1989 the radio and antenna turned on and off with the ignition. Now I’m thinking which is right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I don't think that there is a right or wrong with this. If you want your stern to be powered continually or switched with ignition it's all fine. The one advantage to unstitched is that the clock display will keep the correct time and if you want to jam out with your buds on the beach an have a bikini clad female recline on your hood with music playing you are set.

11. pedders

pedders Karting

Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks for the replies, all. I am not going to mess with what I am pretty sure is the original wiring, so permanent live it will stay.

12. Jubilee77

Jubilee77 Rookie

Nov 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Andrew Pope

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Good choice! Now you have have the beach party with the chicks and shoot an 80s music video! I’m in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saabguy likes this.
  14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari uses switched power. On electronic radios with a memory there would be an additional B+ wire only for the memory.