Stooging the Throttle Plate Balance? | FerrariChat

Stooging the Throttle Plate Balance?

Discussion in '348/355' started by yelcab, Oct 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I need to balance the throttle response of the eight throttle plates on the 355. There is a factory tool for this task which I do not have. Has anyone messed with a DIY or simpler way to measure the air through each independent throttle plate?

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I purchased 4 gauge vacuum readers x2 for this purpose. Getting to the ports on each throttle body is a challenge. The factory tool is a mercury level with all 8 banks showing.

I didn’t fine tune it so hard to know but I was concerned after updating the throttle lever to the later item the throttle linkage would be out. So I tested it using the vacuum gauges.

3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Kokose7en likes this.
  4. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    YelCab if you acquire a setup for this lmk.

My stooge method was with the air plenum off to measure the each throttle body at various open positions with a caliper (reverse side from top lip to end to max positions on the throttle body). Then to make sure each throttle body opened at the same time. Took a lot of trial and error until the throttle bodies were all within half a degree. Issue is that it wasn’t done under load.

Tony at modena motors has a 12 cylinder vacuum setup. Doubt he’d let you borrow but might be worth a call since thats the factory tool.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    OK, I am getting this set up.

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No that does not work. I have that. You need one that can be attached to a hose and with 8 inputs

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #8 flash32, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    I didn't see which car you were referring on this post ..stupid answer /post by me ..i was thinking you were on a 308 ..please disregard

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

9. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Intake plenum is one part of a 355 I've never dealt with -- I guess because the MAF is upstream, there's no way to run the engine with the plenum off so you can put an STE on each of the intake trumpets. I love the STE, such a great little device for balancing the carbs on my early 911.

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Here you go Mitch.

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    He has 8 throttle bodies he needs to balance though.

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    There's a 4-up version too. Get two?

Ignore all the graphics except for the vacuum measurement. try all of them on a known source to be sure they are all calibrated the same...good to go!

sjd

ernie likes this.
  13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Mitch I have two sets of gauges with dials from Honda but I have personally seen the motion pro work and two of them would be the cheapest as you have stated

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I bought two sets of quad gauges and started on checking the balance of the throttle plates. I only measured a few cylinders to see if there are any issues. And right off the bat, at idle Cyl 4 (of bank 1) generates 5 inches of vacuum, while Cyl 5 and 6 (bank 2) generate almost zero vacuum at the measuring ports. I tried to cheat and adjusted the throttle plate screws (indicated by the service manual) and it did not make any difference.

I am in the middle of a smoke test right now to see if any vacuum leak is seen below the throttle plates (where the ports are), and so far none. I don't know what is causing this ... imbalance.

ernie likes this.
  15. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #16 ernie, Dec 21, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Possibly the seals for the throttle plate shaft/s have gone bad, or the gasket/s have/has a leak??? Are the bypass screws open/closed/missing???

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Did not touch the bypass screws.
    The other thing I do not know is how much vacuum is expected on a 355 with its overlapping intake/exhaust valves. It does not generate that much vacuum.

17. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I would have a look at the bypass screw/s

18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Did you pull the carbs and blank off the engine or just with it on and plenums removed

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #20 Steve Magnusson, Dec 21, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    By "gauges" do you mean that you bought eight individual Bourdon tube type gauges with a mechanical moving needle mechanism that measure vacuum relative to the atmospheric pressure or something like that Motion Pro Sync Pro in post #3 (which is a 4-channel differential pressure manometer)? Can you post a pic of these "quad gauges", or give a link with a description?

(5 inches Hg vacuum at idle (or zero ;)) seems very low -- even for something with some overlap -- if the vacuum measurement is made relative to the atmospheric pressure. But a differential pressure measurement between cylinders would ideally be 0 inches Hg vacuum so the measured vacuum differences would always be in the relatively smallish range of things even if a cylinder is somewhat misadjusted relative to another.)

20. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #21 Steve Magnusson, Dec 21, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    PS Forgot to mention that if you were going to use that Motion Pro Sync Pro, you wouldn't want to get two, and use a separate one on each bank because that would only ensure that the cylinders in each bank were equal, but the two banks could be different. Using just one Sync Pro, you would:

1. Balance the four cylinders in one bank (call this bank 1), then

2. Balance two cylinders in bank 2 using two cylinders in bank 1 as the reference (i.e., only make adjustments on the two cylinders in bank 2 -- don't touch the adjustments on the two cylinders in bank 1), then

3. Balance the remaining two cylinders in bank 2 to match the two cylinders in bank 2 that were just adjusted in step 2.

That way you end up with all 8 cylinders being the same vacuum at idle.

26street and johnk... like this.
  21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I bought two of these. I ended up using only 2 of the ports, one for bank 1 and one for bank 2. One additional note for the 355 which the service manual does not mention. You have to loosen the measuring port a few turns to get the vacuum to flow, that fact is not mentioned. And of course, number 3 brass port broke right off.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

taz355 likes this.
  22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Half a day spent on this yesterday and this is what I got.

1) Measurement at the ends of tube 19 before it goes to the check valves: Bank 1 has 5 inch of Hg, Bank 2 has about 5 inch of Hg. Similar numbers.

2) Measurements at the end of item 44: Cyl 4 has 5 inch of Hg, while Cyl 5 has close to zero vacuum.

3) a smoke test reveals no major leaks on bank 2 below the throttle plates. There is only a very small wisp of smoke at the throttle shafts where they are all connected for adjustments. But very small wisps.

Attached Files:

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    With no official specs, I am guessing that the 355 generates only a small amount of vacuum. It is for this reason that the 355 with the Bosch ABS system requires a cam shaft driven vacuum pump for brake booster leaving the engine vacuum to drive only the bypass valve and the secondary air pump controls. So, I think 5 inch of Hg is likely correct.

I still have to figure out why the bank 2 measuring ports do not have the same numbers ... maybe Ernie's got it right. Gotta check the bypass screws.

24. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    You've tried all 4 gauges on the port that is reading to make sure they're all reading the same?

sjd