Open Trailer Towing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Open Trailer Towing

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Kent Adams, Dec 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    or with wireless winch control you can be in the car at that critical time and out of the car for final positioning...or that's what wives and GF's are for.

2. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    You're doing something wrong if that is what your wife or girlfriend is for. :)

350MH83, NYC Fred and Extreme1 like this.
  3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Nope. Or rather I wouldn't risk it. Be in the car when the trailer tilts.

Carbon Bits and Texas Forever like this.
  4. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    You do it your way I'll do it mine after 35 years of towing thanx.

5. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Lol. Sounds good. There's nothing wrong with what you suggested. No reason to take offense.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. However I would not have a rookie load of car backwards onto a traile. And physics is physics... No argument the placement of the weight on the trailer is what's most important and also what you and I are both arguing. However position the car too far forward or too far backwards will have a greater effect on the weight distribution of the trailer then parking the car forwards your backwards when the cars are close to a 50-50 weight distribution no more than 60/40. In that case 100% unequivocally placement of the vehicle on the trailer is more important than forwards or backwards.

However what you're saying in the core of it is exactly true the balance of the weight on the trailer is crucial for his safety and that's what you're getting at and that's what I'm getting at.

I also have about the equal amount of time towing cars and I transport cars at least every other day.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have only been towing racecars for 25 years so not as experienced. Neither of you guys are wrong. The goal is to have about a 60/40 weight distribution on the trailer platform which equates to about 15% tongue weight.

Real bad things happen if you are too light on the tongue or too heavy on the tongue. Oversteer and understeer are bad in a car but oversteer is worse. having too light a tongue is worse. Simon's way almost guarantees the error will be on the better side. Tech's way makes life way easier on newbie.

The real solution is to get close to the 15% tongue but have a tow vehicle that can overpower what you tow. It is like if you weight 200lbs you don't want to swing from a rope that is only rated for 200lbs. You want head room. My 1st question when I hear someone with an aluminum open trailer is "what are you towing with?" Too often people buy light aluminum trailer because their tow vehicle is too limited. Put the odds in your favor the more marginal you are. Go on the heavy side of tongue weight to reduce trailer sway. Use weight distribution hitches. consider 5th wheels if using a pick-up truck. My diesel truck can tow around 25,000lbs but I never tow more than 10,000. My diesel hardly knows it is there even on the steepest hill or biggest wind. When I first towed with a 1/2 ton suburban I did not know any better but well within it's limits. When I grew to a 3/4 ton suburban and then a diesel Ram....as Eddie Murphy says "you ain't ever going back!"

To the OP newbie tower, don't tow your ferrari as the 1st car. All kinds of gotchas happen. You hit the door on the trailer fender because you forgot. You tie off on a control arm and bend it. You strap down on your wheels on a hot day and the soft clearcoat on your wheels drags and is now destroyed. You drive under low hanging trees and bushwack your roof. If new to towing plan for 3 weekend short outings load another car tow it around on your errands and see what it is like to tow through the home depot parking lot. See how hard it is to merge on the freeway. See how your brakes work with the load. Learn to adjust your trailer brakes as the load changes. Try backing up and getting gas. You have plenty of things to worry about and the ferrari can only distract you.

7. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

Completely agree Un necessary.

I've towed 308, mondial's, 348's. Lotus esprits' all forward facing 1000' of miles and never and issue.

60/40 weight distribution towards the front of the trailer. On level ground your tow vehicle will have a slight squat to it. The more you tow the more you will know what that looks like.

Cars are designed to go through the air forwards. I've heard of instances where wings and other things get ripped off with the car on backwards.

technom3 likes this.
  9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

Yes a simple wedge for the front wheel will work as a stop. Preferably rubber so it doesn't skid on the trailer deck. Just go slow

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

I actually knew of an old classic car that the window blew out because the rear window/aero wasn't designed to go backwards at 80mph lol. But that could also have been the way that the car was restored etc... On a modern car I wouldn't worry about it unless it was a convertible. And then I would never ever do it backwards.

11. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    As a matter of curiosity, how do you determine weight distribution?

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Eyeball. Just dont get too far forward or back.

YouTube has some great videos.

technom3 likes this.
  13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    BTW, one YouTube video taught me the secret for backing up a trailer. Just place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel instead of the top. Works like a charm.

Kent Adams and technom3 like this.
  14. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Texas Forever likes this.
  15. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
  16. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    futura around 13k

17. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I love good trailers and that's a good trailer.
    Just get a running start and you'll be fine!

I always load with the foot on the tongue jack down. You can also find a bit of a downhill spot to take some slope off the trailer.
    All good suggestions above. Just buy good rigging and check it after 10 miles or so. The car is going to ride nice on that rig.

Kent Adams and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Thank you Tom. I loaded a side by side on it yesterday. It was no problem. There is a hydraulic arm underneath for soft closing of the bed. I don't think I'm going to need a winch on it after all.

Off topic but I did notice you live near me.

19. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I thought there would be a ram.
    I think I would still find a place with some slope to back the trailer up to and raise the tongue 3" or so to get the trailer as flat as possible. If you need a spotter for the first time let me know and I'll help. It's easy after the first time.