488 GTB Gas Pump Issues | FerrariChat

488 GTB Gas Pump Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Advncdfinesse, Dec 23, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Advncdfinesse

Advncdfinesse Rookie

Dec 23, 2021
    LA
    Full Name:
    Chris Kelsey
    Hi everyone,

I’m taking my 488 from SoCal to NorCal then back. I’m slightly concerned because I’ve had trouble pumping gas at certain gas stations.

Basically the pump won’t recognize that it’s in the hole and just doesn’t pump any gas.

I’ve had this issue at Chevron for certain but I don’t remember any other gas stations I’ve had the issue with.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can make sure the gas will pump properly even at troublesome gas stations like Chevron? (Maybe it was just that specific Chevron I don’t know)

I don’t want to get stranded in the middle of Cali because I can’t pump gas! Lol.

Thanks a ton in advance.

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I really hate Cali's pump nozzles. If Shell nozzles work reliably, avoid Chevron and top off at Shell whenever you get below 1/2 tank. And bring a 5 gallon gas can (filled at all times) with you in the trunk in case of emergency. And a roadside assistance membership.

3. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Curious. Why do you think Chevron nozzles have a problem? Are they made differently compared with other gas stations? Do they have more sensitive settings?
    I always heard that the nozzles "detect" fumes then shut off, but now that i am forced to think about it, i can't imagine that a hose gushing gas is able to detect fumes.

If fume detection really is a thing, is it because the gas tank tube in the 488 is too long (or too short), and Chevrons detectors are too sensitive?

I wonder if Internet is my friend.

4. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Here it is:
    Gas pumps stop when there is no more air flowing through the nozzle and the change in air pressure causes the nozzle valve to shut automatically.

So its likely how Chevrons air pressure sensors are set, huh.

5. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    As a follow up to my previous response, maybe the simplest way is to just bring an empty 5 gal gas can with you. If you run into trouble, dispense the gas into the gas can, then transfer it to the car.

6. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Try putting two fingers between the gas filler neck on your car and the black flex part of the gas nozzle. Keep an air opening between the two parts and the pump won’t click off all the time.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My 360 has a similar problem. I pull the nozzle back a couple inches and pump a little slower. Seems to make it work just fine.

8. Advncdfinesse

Advncdfinesse Rookie

Dec 23, 2021
    LA
    Full Name:
    Chris Kelsey
    Thanks for the info everyone!! I will definitely try/keep these in mind!