458 - Ticking noise behind head from engine | FerrariChat

458 Ticking noise behind head from engine

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scout123, Dec 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    2013 spider. 20k miles. When it becomes colder out, I get an annoying ticking noise from the engine compartment right behind my head. It happens off and on, and must.be run by a switch of some type. Sitting at a stop it tics away, as I leave the stop the ticking gets faster, and then just shuts off. Come to the next stop, it gradually starts ticking again, and we start all over.

Older service record shows a prior owner complain of ticking behind his head from engine compartment. Dealer service tech noted something about the purge valve, and this being normal.

No way this obnoxiously loud ticking is normal.

2. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    My 458 does this as well. Based on my research on here, it’s normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Manda racing, Rexcat458 and rob5819 like this.
  4. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    I can't imagine it's the valves. The noise is isolated right behind my left shoulder in the engine compartment. Only shows up in the colder months. When it stops, it stops immediately-like on a switch.

I reviewed that prior thread. I think some folks are confusing this noise with some others. I did come across one post that stated it's normal - evaporation purge valve solenoid makes this noise. I reviewed the Scottsdale Ferrari service records when this complaint was made, and it states the same thing.

5. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
  6. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
  7. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    I read that other thread you posted on this topic. It was spot on regarding my issue. I am making this appointment with my mechanic now.

8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
  9. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Ya once you see them you will see how they're connected.

Near the front of the engine on the left side.

10. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They are technically easy. But I'm not going to lie, I did have to contort my hand in weird positions and fight a little to replace mine.
    Once you take the left hand engine panel off, you will see them (follow the emissions hoses from the intake covers). You just need to remove two hose clamps, and two hoses, and one electrical connector for each, and slide the valve off of a bracket tab (very stuck). Easier said than done, lol. Make sure that you have replacement hose clamps, and the proper clamp crimp tool if you want it to look OEM (the only way I do work).
    It's not too bad, just frustrating to reach them. If I was able to jump on the engine, and get a better angle at them, I would have been done in 5 minutes, but it took more like 1/2hr+. What made it more difficult for me, is that I reach into the engine compartment while not even touching the side of the car. I'm super anal with the finish, so I don't even touch it. That alone, probably made the job 5X harder.

Need4Spd likes this.
  11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks for the instructions. I’m not a fan of Oetiker clamps, but hear you on keeping the OEM look.
    Here’s one source, and for the benefit of others since you know this already, you need to choose the right kind and size.
    It would take me forever, too, as I would also contort to avoid putting pressure on the bodywork.

https://belmetric.com/clamps/?gclid=CjwKCAiAn5uOBhADEiwA_pZwcE-FhXYrg6uBvwDd_d6G8ECpg_kU42NuYq3zfXbudJ9c12w3vlcxOhoCCu4QAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

up4speed likes this.