430 - Bubbled/cracked paint on engine panel. | FerrariChat

430 Bubbled/cracked paint on engine panel.

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Dec 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Ok. So I noticed today that there is a bubble/crack in the paint on my left side front engine panel on my 2009 F430. I assume this is from the heat and water since it’s an area that water will drip down.

Has this happened to anyone else? I guess I’ll remove it and have it refinished by a local body shop. Eventually I want to do the CF panels but not yet as I have exceeded my hobby budget for a while.

Also I haven’t removed the front part of the panels before. Is there a trick or a video somewhere? I assume remove the section with the gas cap pull first, then remove the screws on the front part and pop the hatch strut off while someone holds the hatch up and then remove the panel and pop the hatch strut back on. Any trick to removing the strut without damaging anything. It’s not something I’ve done often on cars.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Hey Cory, I removed my panels to change the spark plugs a few months ago. I don’t really remember what I did, but I remember it was easy. Yes remove the one with the T-handle for the gas door on it, first. Then work your way towards the front of the car. Don’t do what I did and use a regular Allen wrench for the screws, it took forever. Get a socket with an Allen wrench in it, it will be way faster.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    The struts have a small clip on the ends, kinda like a C-clip. Look closely and you can see them. Use a small screwdriver and lift them out of their recesses.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Use a pick to pull locking "c" clip ..easier than a screwdriver

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Are you talking about the locking clip on the strut? I have removed the T-handle before and used a pic to remove and a small piece of wire and some electrical tape to pull the cable back though on reinstall. I just never removed the front half of the panel.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Yes the locking clip on strut ..pull with pick just enough to release the strut

7. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Normal Guy Supercar has a good video of engine panel removal from when he changed his valve cover gaskets. Shows how to place the strut when removed. Helped me.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    When you replace the screws ..a little white lithium is recommended by WSM .. some have used as rust prevention and for vibration ..a little blue loctite instead of white grease

9. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    #9 Snapshift, Dec 23, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    Use an electric screwdriver with a short extension holding a 4 mm hex bit to remove the panel screws & washers. Prop a broomstick to hold hatch up when you take off the bottom of the strut. I also lined the backside of the panels with adhesive heat reflecting shielding.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/automotive/15726931/ref=zg_b_bs_15726931_1/ref=s__bsb__1/134-0577345-7758841?pd_rd_w=rBW03&pf_rd_p=4956a3bb-4805-44c6-95f8-e1df925cf0c6&pf_rd_r=9AV4VESRFGW1PFHJMXDZ&pd_rd_r=5899eacb-51a0-400c-9249-6c11eba1908f&pd_rd_wg=GvTH4&pd_rd_i=B00029KC2K
    So far so good. If you are going to invest in CF panels. I would definitely line the backsides as they seem to yellow with long term heat exposure. Do you have header blankets?

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Like it says below, a small screwdriver to remove the clip on the gas damper at the lid end. Putting this back on a pair of circlip pliers are handy to open it up and slip it back on.
    The dome head allen screws have soft heads so be gentle un doing them as easy to round them out. Cheap on e bay and handy to have a few spares.

11. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    I changed out my milky factory carbon fiber panels for new ones. I purchased both the 'Chinese ' and 'Italian' made ones. The quality
    , fit and finish on the 'Italian' ones were far superior to the others . Both suppliers were kind enough to offer a discount when I asked and both offered a no questions asked return policy...
    I kept the Italian made ones...
    In my opinion and my shop installing them - they were superior.
    Just my opinion and info for your future purchase

12. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Just took the panels off. I think it was a 3mm hex bit. I think the lower front bolts are going to suck when I have to reinstall them. I’m only 5’6” so even with a small step stool it’s not easy.

@Snapshift, also since you asked, I have the stock MKII manifolds but run the Fabspeed brackets on my Kline exhaust.

Will be dropping the damaged panel off for repair on Tuesday. Was told $200 to repair and repaint the area where the paint bubbled and cracked off.

I guess the next question is…

Are their any tricks to reinstall and align the panels? I’m guessing the strut “nib” is one alignment point. Any other tricks to reinstall?

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

13. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I used two small Phillips screwdrivers to align the holes. I put them into two of the holes far apart from each other, then put the screws in. Install all the screws, but don’t tighten them until they are all started.

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Use painters /detailer tape on edges of rear quarter panels to avoid any paint damage

15. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Use an awl to line up holes as suggested above. Use some anti seize on threads when re installing. Don’t overtighten. Will crack the panel. I have header blankets and some heat shield on the back of panels. If screws get messed up get replacements on eBay or McMaster Carr. Cover engine with a thick movers blanket and crawl up for the front ones. Sound like you’ve got it covered.

16. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Here is a picture of the damage. I dropped it off today and was told should have it back tomorrow. Will post a pic of the repair when it's back.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    AandSC likes this.