The Purosangue Thread | Page 82 | FerrariChat

The Purosangue Thread

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by MDEL, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I agree—the Roma grille works well on the Roma and pretty sure you won’t see that on this car. All the design features on this car will need to be oversized to scale with its huge size, so grilled will be huge and probably a lot of fake openings to use up the plentiful real estate. Also, we’re already probably seeing the final grille which looks to be the expanded metal mesh.

MDEL and RamsHmb like this.
  2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Car is huge. Tires are way undersized relative to the body and being so low profile, look silly. Look for big amount of camouflage on the body side to “enhance” the illusion of the size of the wheels. Maybe even the ubiquitous—for SUVs—black wheel opening mouldings. In CF, at extra charge, of course. ;)

The front of this—lights and grille and parting lines of surrounding panels—look very similar to the Roma, as already evidenced in some of the renderings. And the Roma, in my opinion, already looks to have undersized tires so the Purosangue will need a lot of help, design-wise, to not look goofy. I expect it won’t look great in red, unfortunately.

MDEL and italiafan like this.
  3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am sure that as an engineer you prefer substance over appearance. What if that size is the right one for handling and ride quality? Personally, I dislike oversized wheels, just for appearance's sake.

4. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    So, yes, not implying oversized wheels for the sake of appearance. By undersized wheels, I meant the wheels (as big as they are) are dwarfed by the visual mass of the body and especially the high cowl and front fender height on the Roma and I expect (pretty obviously) also on the Purosangue.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Hopefully full sized suicide doors.

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Yes, point taken. But what if this is the right size of wheels for dynamic purposes?

7. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I think the suicide doors will be fantastic and don’t really hurt my thoughts of a daily driver. I suppose if someone is planning to daily drive with people in the back seat, it is an inconvenience. Our back seats are only occasionally used for humans so suicide doors work fine for us.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    For sure the selection of tire size is a balance of looks but also performance requirements—revs/min at speed, suspension geometry, unsprung weight, rotational inertia, cost, etc. The point I was making is that cars are getting so big that tires are looking too small for the bulk of the car.

Also, hard to understand why the need for such low-profile tires on a lifted SUV/Crossover. Certainly a small penalty, maybe, in performance would be acceptable for having a bit meatier sidewalls more in keeping with the size of the vehicle.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    These cars won't go off road, they are sporty people carriers and are designed to perform. Off road vehicles need side walls not these high performance SUVs.

10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Not talking off-road level of sidewalls. Just an inch maybe smaller wheel diameter to add some heft to the tire instead of looking like a rubber band on a lifted car. Pretty sure the buyers of these don’t hustle them around and wouldn’t even notice the difference.

MDEL, Caeruleus11 and Gh21631 like this.
  11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    And, when you consider that the FUV will likely include hybrid at some point in time, additional sidewall will be needed simply to support the extra weight and also contributes to overall ride comfort by absorbing road deformations.

ingegnere likes this.
  12. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  13. Killavata

Killavata Rookie

Jun 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Killavata
  14. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    interesting few videos...the spy video is the first one that reveals the actual size, it appears to be much bigger than originally seemed, particularly if you compare it to the Mercedes SUV just after the roundabout

feels the 'leak videos/ pictures' are fake, at least I hope so...i doubt they would mesh up the Roma rear and the SF90 front...also in the description it says it is based on the Roma platform, which I doubt is possible as the Roma/ Portofino is not a v12 platform

Jordan68 likes this.
  15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    MDEL likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Sf90 headlights???? Noooooo!!!!!!

17. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    this is for real? looks like Mustang mach-e

Jordan68 likes this.
  18. Killavata

Killavata Rookie

Jun 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Killavata
    I have no idea if it is real or not. Maybe we have any insiders here?

19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    anyone know if it will have the option of 5 seater vs 4 seater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The car in the video can only be a joke because it embodies everything that IMO make a terrible design. In terms of proportions has nothing to do whatsoever with the Purosangue mules we have seen lately and not even a V6 engine would fit underneath that ridiculously short bonnet.

dpw98, Jordan68 and ingegnere like this.
  21. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    A "Like" from Mr. Massini is somewhat telling....to me, anyway.

pat_t likes this.
  22. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    I wish to see your face if this will be final car :D :D :D :D :D

23. Killavata

Killavata Rookie

Jun 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Killavata
    Mr.Massini liked my video. So looks like its a render of the real car I guess. Or a clay model. I think its front will look longer...

Any news about the 812's replacement?