The life F1 mechs face now - The long calendar | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The life F1 mechs face now - The long calendar

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Dec 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    36 races (not 43).

lorenzobandini likes this.
  2. Aaaaahhhh....the influence of The King, eh? ;)

Terra likes this.
  3. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    And I think Cup allows/allowed up to 43 starting positions.

4. For sure. I prefer my theory tho'.....'smore fun. :D

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Sorry- my iPhone just randomly changes and to abs. I try to catch abs fix when I can.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

When the conditions worsen as much as they have done in the last 10 years in F1, what was before a dream for many mechanics becomes a nightmare.
    I don't think they are rewarded for the effort and the hours they put in; they must come as a low priority in a team budget, now even more restricted.
    But even then, money alone cannot alleviate the pressure, the lack of family life and the constant travelling.
    I guess the turnover will increase, and that's never a good sign for an industry.

7. What was/is your passion? What have you sacrificed to be part of it?

I feel a number here are not seeing the situation from a "passionate's" point of view.

There are those that are so passionate about racing, that going through the pain of missing other things that most "normal" careers allow and participating in that love is reward in itself..

It was for me re: driving. I had not the money to do it the "right" way, so I busted my behind working to pay my bills and then at the small team's shop and races (without pay) for the opportunity of a ride (got them on occasion) on the sheet little team. When I finally realized it was not going to net me a driving career, I decided to give it up and return to being just an avid race fan. Those eight years of my youth could have been spent living a different, more profitable, "normal", life. But, in hindsight, I would never, ever.....never ever.....trade them for it.
    I was living my passion.
    There is no price for that experience except living it. :)

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's not like they don't know what they've signed up for. They know it's a high pressure environment, with lots of travelling. They're being compensated for their work. Don't want any of those things? Sign up to replace windscreen wipers at your local Honda garage. No one is forcing them to be there.

And again, may teams have their pitcrew on rotation nowadays. Keeps them more focused.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Up to 3 times zones, generally on a Bus rather than a plane--2-3 days of travel per race leaving at most 1-2 days home every 3-5 races.
    NASCAR budget does not support flying everything around.

Bas likes this.
  10. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Not really. Your skill set and your customer satisfaction rate weigh far more then your association with a driver. If your work is top notch, you see greater success. Workmanship is still the main factor at any level. The higher the price automobile, the more is expected of your work.

lorenzobandini likes this.