Strange event..... while filling up | FerrariChat

Strange event..... while filling up

Discussion in '612/599' started by spirot, Dec 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So I had not driven the 599 for about a week and a half, the weather has been crappy & I've been out of town. so anyway, I put it away with about a 1/4 tank, so took it yesterday to fill it up. get to the pump, open the file door, take off the cap, hang it on the hook, get the pump going - choose the highest Octane rated gas and start to pump.

almost immediately the pump stops, and the handle keeps shutting off. so I take out the fuel pump nozzle. and I notice that there is gas burping in the little hole? it floods out then goes in and back up again. I let this settle down and then I was able to pump it in again????? what is going on here?

did the pump pressurize the tank?
    is there a breather blocked?
    imminent doom coming? its the first time I have ever noticed this.

no warning lights or anything... anyone have this happened to them?

2. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I don’t think this will be the case here, but on a different car, I had this same problem happen. Took a while to figure out that it was the spring loaded flap that covers the hole where the nozzle goes in. It had broken off and the flap was caught about 12” down. I own a really long set of needle nose pliers as a result. :)

Maybe something is physically blocking ?

Jim

George Vosburgh likes this.
  3. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Ive had 3 Ferraris now and all have suffered with " venting the tank " when filling with fuel, as the above post states it seems to be a problem with the spring loaded flap that allows the nozzle to sit in the filler neck. The 2017 reg Cali T was worse than the 2015 reg i had for doing this.
    They have altered the design on the filler neck now, i work on a 2020 Portofino and that just has a simple hole, no spring loaded flap at all. I think the pump has to see " no back pressure "?, thus when the tank is full, the pump detects pressure in the tank and shuts off. Maybe wrong here?

4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ot it could be that the carbon canister, which the tank vents through, is blocked up. This can happen when the charcoal inside gets filled up with fuel vapors, but doesn't get a chance to re-generate itself by venting into the engine. Normally this is caused by stuck valves.

5. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Fuel vapour Filter - Part No 219311 - in stock at Scuderia Parts £130.00 GBP.

6. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

After owning a 308, I always fill the car by hand slowly and have never had a problem.

375+ likes this.
  7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, sometimes easy does it.

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have had this issue with other cars. I had a 2008 Porsche Turbo that I could only hand fill, even on the lowest file rate it would turn off. Must be something in the design of the filler tube creating back pressure?

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sometimes helps to put the nozzle in upside down. Clumsy, but....

Not sure how that would work in CA with their screwed up nozzles.

10. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Nozzle upside down works fine on my 2016 Cali T in California. Right side up cuts out unless flow is slow.