Things to be aware of....known issues F12 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Things to be aware of....known issues F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by supersport888, Aug 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sloop

Sloop Rookie

Jul 18, 2020
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Paul Breitner
    Yes you are right I buy only original car, thanks

2. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    As, one of my buddy got the transmission leak today.. we're watching the technical do the job. The transmission seem like very small.. and to be honest I calculate the times he did it .. only 2 people by themself, it only took 1 day to finish the job.. which include take off from the car then install it. So, As i'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard for DIY.. it just the car too expensive plus the marketing make people overcharge us.

@Sloop : As my technical said, the way u drive it can damage the transmission, I don't know if it true or not.. because u're the engineering would u please explain.. he said if we just ACC hard.. then brake.. then Acc.. it will make that seal blow out very fast... if u acc hard.. just up shift .. not brake then acc... or just drive it in auto in city.. only beat on it in hi way while u can continue upshift..

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    this is fantastic. I hope more DIY will become available. I just did power steering line, and it wasn't too bad. just needed to get $80 clamp releaser from knipex for one stupid hose clamp. I didn't take any pictures because nobody here seemed interested. i would do it next time if there's any interest. and yes, I would love to see diy on the trans seal. I agree this F-car shop prices are felony on wheels. people see the car and triple to 10x the price for no reason. I would actually argue F-car is actually easier to work on than a Corolla. The components are better; wire connection harnesses are motorsport grade. nothing breaks when I disassemble. everything comes off so easy. I can go on and on. anyway, thanks for the photos.

4. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    @sunghyun7 : I hope we can make a DIY for every people in here... I know alot of people need.. it just the gravy money... so.. lot of people doesn't want to share information

sunghyun7 likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Love that transmission stand and lift.

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    This brings up a good observation several years ago a FERRARI independent mech told me that everything on a ferrari as built such that It could be disassembled and rebuilt or reinstalled.Items that most manufacturers now-days would use push pins to hold together ..on a ferrari would use bolts or screws such that they could be disassembled and reinstalled like new.. which make for great long term owner service

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Second this. Nice to know that if they disassemble something it won't rattle or fall off.

8. DonF12

DonF12 Rookie

Jul 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Yeung

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. DonF12

DonF12 Rookie

Jul 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Yeung
    Did you change your speed sensor already?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    If you are asking me - yes, I did.

11. Sloop

Sloop Rookie

Jul 18, 2020
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Paul Breitner
    Hello F12 community how is it going so far. Ian still looking for an F12 and ich think in 2022 it will be my year to buy one. I hope that there will come more Used F12 on the german market because I do not want to buy any F12 out of 2013-2014…. Too old an to expensive.
    So is there anything new what I should know about a pre owned F12? So if I buy my F12 it should have the approved warranty because I will go on track with this baby to see how it feels and moves.
    So, greeting from Germany to you all!!!!
    Cheers Sloop

12. Zedtt

Zedtt Formula Junior

May 29, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I have had my F12 for 5 years now. The only issues have been as follows:

(1) weak-ish OEM battery...I have replaced two in the 5 years..one under warranty. Dealer says I should drive more often.
    (2) loose leather cover on the underside of rear boot cover insert...the one that's attached to the rear hatch. DIY repair with quality spray adhesive.
    (3) I used a metal cup in the cupholder and the silver paint on the 'wings' got scuffed. Bought new wings. Trying to figure out how to install.

No other issues. My only out of pocket in the five years: tires and battery

Heard about corrosion at the rear mesh but I don't wash the car and only drive on sunny days so not an issue for me (so far). :)

LVMCars, Sloop and blkfxstc like this.
  13. Sloop

Sloop Rookie

Jul 18, 2020
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Paul Breitner
    Hi Zedtt,
    many thanks for your feedback this is what I expected and I do know about the mesh-issue in the rear. I have checked some F12 in Frankfurt at the Dealer and indeed there where some them who had paint problems. Good to know also about the sealing issue what might be a problem. I mean an F12 is also able to go with in on Track, like Chris Harris.I do not know what building year might get this problem more often. If this sealing issue happens more often, Ferrari would have change some things in production. Any how, next step will be to buy an OBD diagnostic tool….any recommendations for it?

Than in 2023 my new House will get also a new work shop garage, so I can do a lot by my self like on my Porsche 997.1 Turbo and BMW M2CS.
    Service and good treatment will prevent a lot high impact cost from the original Ferrari Dealer. But I am doing mainly because I like it and I am a 100% Full blood engineer :). And I think I have much more time for Inspection like the original Dealer.

And if there any other Ferrari addicted people in Germany or around, my plan is to help them if they have some problems on their Ferrari.

Thanks!!!

14. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    #39 sunghyun7, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    Engine / trans seem very solid. I don't think anyone got stranded with F12 here, but don't expect a Lexus. I had my power steering line leaking, and my stock alternator (or tensioner) started whining slightly recently. All these small problems can be fixed in the garage by yourself if you have worked on cars in the past. Just put aside some amount for unexpected repairs, and it'll give you years of trouble-free motoring. One more thing to add is if you drive in rainy weather, the rear hatch leaks and collects water in the plastic lining piece. just some stupid things like that. I stopped pressure washing directly at the gaps, and the problem "went away". I drive my F12 almost daily now and it gives me no real issues other than constant stops at the gas stations. This car should've come with a larger tank.

15. Josephyuan

Josephyuan Rookie

Nov 23, 2021
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Joseph Y
    also Ferrari has extended warranty upto 15 years covers most major parts , I would just buy it for the peace of mind . Mine expires by 2022 and I'm still thinking of renewing it .

16. Sloop

Sloop Rookie

Jul 18, 2020
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Paul Breitner

Hi Zedtt, hi Sunghyun,
    may I ask you what Modell year your F12 is?
    Many thank!
    Regards Sloop

17. Zedtt

Zedtt Formula Junior

May 29, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Terry

18. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
  19. Zamir

Zamir Rookie

Oct 1, 2023
    Full Name:
    Zamir
    Hallo, I buy a Ferrari 12 last month, I drive the car 400km and have already a problem, the car give p0284 fault cylinder 8 injection, oké we change today but the car is still running bad he is running still on 11 cylinder so can somebody help me please what I can be?