Michelin PS4s tyre pressures | FerrariChat

Michelin PS4s tyre pressures

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ballie64, Oct 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    I am sure this has been covered I've done a search but can't find anything I'm literally trying to set my tyre pressures as I type this can somebody tell me what tyre pressures people run on a 458 Italia with MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4S tyres the fronts are 245 not 235 the tyres are K spec

2. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Measure your tire pressure before driving, not after, for the most accurate reading. This practice is referred to as setting the cold tire pressure. The 458 recommended tire pressure is 33 PSI (see my pic), that means 33 PSI before you put rubber to the road and the tires heat up.

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Interesting. My car originally came with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the sticker says 30f/29r. Since going to 4s, the sidewalls seem a bit softer, so 31/30 seems ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SVCalifornia likes this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sidewall stiffness has little to do with anything. You increase volume, you decrease pressure.

We can talk cold pressures till we are blue in the face, but what matters is what happens during your drive. Here's what experience tells us. Those fronts like to sit around 2.1-2.2 bar hot. So go for drive like you normally would, not faster, not slower, just what you normally do for a good drive. Bring your gauge and when you are in say 20 mins and things are stable, pull over and set your pressure. For street driving, set fronts to 2.2 and rears to 2.1 bar.

That way you avoid pressure and sudden temp spikes. If your tpms acts up, just reset it in the morning when cold. I'm guessing that your cold pressures end up between 1.8 and 1.9 bar.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    This car originally came with Bridgestones and I changed them to Pilot Super Sports. So you’re saying there are different pressures for the same sizes tires, listed on the door sticker? That’s seems a bit crazy that for every brand Ferrari changed the numbers for the same sizes.

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Must be. My sticker has different pressures and came originally with Michelins. I recall seeing in the manual different pressures for different brand tires.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    Mine originally came with Bridgestones too and the pressures are higher for Bridgestones over Michelin.

I have now set my PS4s to 30 psi front and 29 psi rear cold...I will see how that drives

Need4Spd likes this.
  8. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    way too high

9. yorkshiredale

yorkshiredale Rookie

Sep 14, 2021
    I set my new p-zero’s to the suggested 2.1 front 2.0 rear (cold) and they were great on my recent road trip. Hot temps were around 2.3 from memory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. matt lane

matt lane Rookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lane
    Thanks for sharing the manual excerpt. My sticker is 30/29, obviously car was not delivered with Bridgestones.

I can't wait to get rid of my Pirelli and install Michelins in spring. The PS4S is a phenomenal tire. Had it in the rain on the GT3 at the track last month, was very impressed.

M

11. yorkshiredale

yorkshiredale Rookie

Sep 14, 2021
    I couldn’t get MPS4’s so went p-zero. Went on a long road trip around a very wet Scotland earlier this month and was very glad I wasn’t on the original (8 y/o) tyres.

I’m not convinced the p-zeros will wear as well as the Michelin’s but so far so good (once they have some heat in them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    The Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and Pilot Super Sport are both great great tires. If you can’t find the 4s, the Super Sport is the same just slightly less wet traction than the 4s but minimal. Both of these are no comparison to the Pirelli

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  13. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    I recently changed to the MPS4S and installed 305/35/20 in the rear and 245/35/20 in the front. This was recommended by Co-Pilota. No issues at all and I’m very happy with this choice.
    However, I had to wait over 6 months to get them. The 305/35/20 for the rear were on back order. I’m glad I waited and received what I wanted.

My question is, what is the proper air pressure? Ferrari dealer set the tire pressure cold to 33 all around as stated on the sticker. My 458 Spider came with Bridge Stone tires from the factory.

My ride feels a bit lofty and bouncy. Any thoughts on this?
    What de you recommend Co-Pilota?

Thanks,
    Ray

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    My car came with Michelins from the factory, which specifies 30 psi front and 29 psi rear. The 4S seems a bit softer so I run 31/30.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    I run 30/31 too

My car came with the Bridgestones they are a very hard tyre and run higher pressures. My car did feel soft when I fitted the MPS4S but it was a much better more stable ride

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You have increased the volume slightly, so you need to lower itca bit. 33 cold is way off, and I'd imagine that it would feel quite darty and loose.

Try 30 front and 29 rear. You are aiming for about 32 squared when at about 85-95F.

The old Bridgestones were pretty rough, so it will never be like that. But that's not a bad thing. The car will be more settled and the suspension more capable.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    As I recall, there are still no PS4s for the F8, right?

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Correct.

19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I also run the PS4S and I run 31/30 (manual for PSS Michelin states 30/29).

20. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I aim for 32/32 hot
    usually means 30/29 cold

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    The Michelin destroy the Pirelli. I’m also a dealer for tires and can put whatever I want on any of my cars and that’s still the only one I will use. The PS4S or the Pilot Super Sport. Both incredible.

22. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nick
    This thread extremely interesting, thanks to all of those commenting. Particularly the pressure changes. My car came with Pirelli’s originally and I’ve been keen to get some PS4S onto it.

I recently fitted a complete set of PS4S to my 458

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/35 ZR20 (92Y) XL
    Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 295/35 ZR20 (105Y) XL

These were really hard to locate, Michelin confirmed that these had been discontinued (the fronts I believe) and when I did eventually find somewhere that had them they sold out almost immediately.

Did I make a mistake fitting these?

I fitted these as there were no K versions available and after seeing lots of threads regarding traction issues I decided to stay on the original sizes.

Though from the previous posts it looks like I could of fitted K rated 245 and 305 without any issues? Presumably from the 488

Should I of gone with them over what I put on?

23. 458 Spider 0414

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    I will go ahead and lower the tire pressure to what you have recommended.
    Will follow up and advise how the change affect the ride and handling..

Thanks a ton,
    Ray

24. 458 Spider 0414

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    The 245 and 305 fitted great on my 458. Just a bit wider and makes a slight difference in the look. I waited a long time to get the 305 so expect to wait. I haven’t checked if they are available though.

Ray,

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    When changing to different tires I start out with OEM spec and move up/down from there. For the front its easy to know when too firm or too loose by the grip and the hardness over slightly bumpy road. You can feel a 1/2 pound easily. For the rear its a little harder but I like to do it by feel and grip. Also check the sidewall shape and shoulder wear to make sure not going too low or high.

Caeruleus11 likes this.