488 - Which Phone Mounts and Where ? What are you guys using ? | FerrariChat

488 Which Phone Mounts and Where ? What are you guys using ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Actualizer, Dec 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

I have now lost 7 demerit points for silly speed limit breeches by 4 kms / hr and another for doing 66kms/hr in a 60km zone . Dunno why but when it rains ...it pours . These two have happened back to back after years of being on a clean charge sheet . I have 5 points left to keep driving here .
    Gentlemen ! I need to see and access my Waze. I have Samsung Galaxy Fold 3. I have been researching for 1 year now . Is there any good quality aesthetically nice solid phone holder or mount out there that anyone has found ? If so where to stick it so it doesn’t damage the car interior . Suction cups leave dents in leather . Metallic clamps leave scratches on vents . I don’t need to charge Just need a holder where I can see my WAZE screen and maps and keep talking to my Google asst . Any advice would be great !
    Thanks
    Ash

2. Eds458

Eds458 Karting

Jan 24, 2020
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Edward Lagunte
    Not a fan of the suction and stick on types. Read a bunch of horror reviews of glue melting damaging interior. I personally use the cup holder mount in my cars. Haven’t used it in my 458 but the neck is adjustable so it should clear the climate control. Here’s a link to what I purchased. Read the dimensions to make sure it will fit your phone.

Cup Holder Phone Mount , Ciprostem Cup Phone Holder for Car , 360° Rotation Adjustable Gooseneck Car Phone Holder Mount for 13 /13 pro max / 12 / Samsung https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z7LL46T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CNA2ED3FC50B6MFEDDVC

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Actualizer and BigJay2050 like this.
  3. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    I've used something similar to this; I second the cup holder mounts.

Eds458 likes this.
  4. HertsTif

HertsTif Rookie

Dec 7, 2019
    UK
    I've got the same phone Ash, so I'd love to know if you find anything. The main issue I've had, aside from the size of the fold, is the weight. I got a mount which used a very sticky suction mount and it took ages to remove the residue. The mount arm also failed under the weight of the phone.

The cup mount solutions might be good but I've not found one that handles a Fold. Let me know if you found anything good

5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    You get tickets/points for just 3-4 km over the limit in Australia? That is crazy.

Are these speeding cameras that nab you or actual police pulling you over?

I would invest in every possible radar detector/laser jammer/GPS camera locator/etc. known to man. My Ferrari would be like an AWACS plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iMrMark, Actualizer and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Somebody is missing a bet. Imagine a holder that fits over the street wheel hub with a flexible backing and straps. One size fits all.

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not sure what you are saying. But if you are saying that they should make a mount that fits in the center of the steering wheel over the hub, it won't work. The car has an air bag, if it deploys, you get an iPhone for lunch.
    I use this mount in my 458:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU4UA99/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It works great, and I got it because I didn't want to use a mount that puts stress on the Vents (too hard and expensive to replace if it breaks).
    The only negative is that it is low in the car, and if I run Waze, I have to look down for directions.

8. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I use Lifeproof mounts. Many different ones. Suction cup for windshield. I also have other mounts for my belt and another one on my bicycle. Never had a problem.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're right. I forgot about the airbags.

However, I don't care for the mounts that fit into cup holders. Looking down doesn't work for me.

How about a suction cup like a V1 to mount to the windshield?

10. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005

This one is fantastic. I've ordered two others before i saw this post and both were garbage. Fits perfectly and swivels right under the air vent. Winner Winner

Actualizer likes this.
  11. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

The problem is that non of the cup mount ones support the weight or width of the FOLD Smart phones such my Galaxy fold 3 . So it’s a bummer for me . Thanks

12. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Can you post a photo to give us an idea?

For height, does the top of the phone come close to the bottom of the A/C control panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. cchan842

cchan842 Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I’m using this cup mount holder in my F8. It’s tall enough so I can place the phone just under the A/C control panel, basically as high as possible without blocking anything. It’s also more rigid than the flexible gooseneck ones, so maybe it can take the weight of a Fold. The location is lower than I’d prefer, but I haven’t seen a better solution yet.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094QVTL37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AD211 likes this.
  14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'll try to get a photo tomorrow if I remember, but I have the iPhone SE (2020) and it fits PERFECTLY. It doesn't hit any part of the dash. It is in front and below the climate control knobs, and slightly above the Reverse button assembly.

15. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Would love to see a pic of how it sits if possible.

16. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Darn it, I forgot!
    Sorry...I will put a reminder on my phone to get the photo ASAP

17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    AD211 likes this.
  18. cchan842

cchan842 Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Here are pics of this mount in my F8. The second photo is an approximate driver's eye view. The top of my phone (iPhone 13Pro) blocks the passenger side temperature knob and a few of the buttons, but not quite the climate control display.
    It seems like the F8 cup holder is a little lower and further away than in the 488? It's a reach to get to it, so to that extent it's not much of a loss not being able to put a drink in there.

Attached Files:

AD211 likes this.
  19. rw99

rw99 Karting

Jan 1, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Here’s an example of the cupholder flex arm holder in my 488. Thanks to all who’ve contributed to this thread!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z7LL46T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

This positions the phone low in the driver’s vision, so IMO it’s not a great solution for anyone trying to use phone display information while driving. All environmental controls are accessible, as long as you’re comfortable with a bit of intrusion on the passenger. The flex arm allows total control over placement, but there’s a bit of unavoidable phone screen vibration when the car isn’t on smooth road. The cupholder mount is sturdy, and the phone clamp works well (if a bit outdated in design).

Pictured is the mount with/without an iPhone 13 Pro Max. I’ll use this on the odd occasion I want to have Waze active in the car.

Attached Files:

20. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    Does anyone have a solution for those looking to use waze with thier phone while driving? I need something that is in my line of sight.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Apple car play :cool:

350MH83 likes this.
  22. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In that case, I would have to say that the best for line of sight would be a windshield suction cup mount.
    The cupholder one that I have is the worst for line of sight. (but the best for being out of the way, and the least risk of causing any damage to the car)

23. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Ordered. Looks like a good one!. Thanks for the tip

24. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
  25. Eric in Chicago

Eric in Chicago Karting

Jul 2, 2021