Ferrari 458 Battery Replacement | Service Manual | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 Battery Replacement | Service Manual

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by fazooley, Dec 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    Hey Guys,
    I went to swap out my battery today and there appears to be some little black box wedged above it and I just cannot get the positive terminal off. Does anyone have either the service manual or can maybe shed some light on how to remove or if theres a way to get positive off without removing that black box. Also does anyone know what that black box is for? I gotta imagine im missing something as theres no way it can be this annoying to change the battery in this car

Thanks in advance!

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  3. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Check out Melvok's very detailed thread: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/yolo.515569/page-5.

4. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
  5. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    The problem is that stupid black box. Maybe its just my car but the black box is wedged so tight on top of the battery and top of the trim i cant even move it. Now dont get me wrong im sure it opens some way but im just afraid to break it, I dont know what that component is. Thats why i was asking for a service manual if someone had one as there im sure is some process for this to be done in 10 minutes

6. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Hi,
    that box cover can be removed by pressing two tabs on the left side (facing negative terminal).
    Once the cover is off you have to undo a couple of short Phillips screws that you will find inside holding the box and located towards you and close to the positive terminal (you will need a short screwdriver, as a long one won't find under the battery compartment roof); once undone, and once the positive clamp will be undone as well, the black box will come off. It's not welded, it is just fixed by a couple of screw expanders.
    I hope it helps.

fazooley likes this.
  7. Shermanator

Shermanator Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    SoCal, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sherman Gregory
    Exactly what Corradosv said plus I would like to add that the black box (fuse box) is attached to the positive terminal stays attached to it. It comes off with the positive terminal once the two screws that Corradosv mentioned are removed and the terminal nut is loosened.

BTW, my new AntiGravity battery did not have holes for the screws so I left them out. The fuse box sits right on top of the battery and can't really go anywhere, so I think I am OK.

fazooley likes this.
  8. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    Thanks so much. Mission Accomplished!