330 GTC vs Daytona | Page 2 | FerrariChat

330 GTC vs Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by -CD-, May 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I guess I should jump in at this point.

As many of you may know, I’ve owned my 330GTC as an everyday driver since 1975. I am the second owner and I acquired the car with around 40,000 miles – it is now coming up on 194,000. I’ve rebuilt the engine and transmission, refurbished the suspension, shocks and springs, did some minor interior work. I also converted a few electrical items to more reliable units, such as installed Hayden cooling fans, Bosche coils and a GM alternator. I also fabricated my own design exhaust system.

Looking at the color – it was originally light metallic blue and I just didn’t like it. Since I was broke from buying the car, I went to an auto paint supply store, bringing the horn button with me. I told them I wanted a yellow to match that on the button. Turns out it was 1975 Corvette Bright Yellow. So, I went home with a gallon of yellow, two gallons of thinner and a gallon of primer, and learned how to paint!

Although I’ve never owned a Daytona, I’ve driven many and I can say that from sheer power and driving experience, there’s nothing like it – ANYWHERE! It’s heavy but from the way it handles and accelerates, you’d never know it. There is not a (production) vehicle from its era that can come close to the overall driving experience of the Daytona.

So, why did I buy a GTC? First off, money. I wanted a birthday gift from me to me and the GTC was all that I could afford. Secondly, I just plain like the looks. More elegant than sporty. Roominess – the GTC has an amazingly large trunk that suited my needs. Look at the first picture – all of that fit inside the car! Simplicity. I like to do all my own work and the type 209 engine is very easy to maintain.

So, here are some comparisons based strictly on my own opinions and experience.

Looks: GTC is prettier, Daytona more “purposeful looking”

Sound: Daytona with a stock exhaust, my GTC with the custom exhaust.

Interior comfort: Daytona. I like the seats much better than my GTC (no headrests)

Brakes: Daytona has ventilated discs, much better at speed. GTC brakes are adequate for everyday driving.

Acceleration and top speed: definitely Daytona!

AC: GTC is definitely better.

Gas mileage: Who cares?

Interior noise: about the same, GTC may be a bit quieter.

Standing under the car, the drivelines appear identical, having two engine mounts and two transmission mounts. The transaxle and engine are rigidly coupled by means of a torque tube with a semi-rigid driveshaft running inside. The driveshaft acts as a torsional spring, absorbing torsional vibrations.

The engines differ in many ways, the 330 being a wet sump, triple carb single cam engine having a 77 x 71 MM bore and stroke, while the Daytona is a four-cam, six carb, dry sump powerplant, with a 81 x 71 MM bore and stroke.

The transaxle also is a bit different. The 330 uses bushings for some of the shafts while the Daytona uses needle roller bearings. Both are pressure-lubricated.

The Daytona uses CV type axle joints (Bendix-Weiss, as I recall) while the GTC uses a Spicer type.

Regarding prices, I do not follow the market so I have no clue as to the selling prices of the two cars.

Spend some time with them, drive them both and decide which is best for you!

I hope this helps in your decision.

Bob Z.

ps – if I had to do it all over again, would I still buy the GTC? YEP!

2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  3. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    That’s what true Ferrari ownership is a all about. We love what we have and still can respect others cars and Opinions. Well said

Daytonafan likes this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Or for roughly the same money you could get both a Boxer and a 365 GTC/4.

donv, colombo2cam and LightGuy like this.
  5. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That is pretty spectacular! I aspire to have the same attitude with my cars, but I have to admit that with values being what they are these days, I'm finding it harder than in the past..

Regarding the OP's query, in the course of shopping, I've driven a fair number of GTCs and Daytonas, and certainly appreciate the charms of both. Since few of us are "one dimensional" beings, I think it is perfectly possible to be undecided on preference, even though they are very different types of cars.

Mechanically, I don't think a Daytona is tangibly more complex to take care of than a GTC. Even parts costs seem to be pretty comparable.

To me, GTCs are quicker cars than some give them credit for, but you have to keep them "up on the cams" all the time if you want to enjoy that quickness.

As I ponder the differences in character, I am reminded of a very old review of the original Toyota MR2 and the turbo-charged 2nd-gen MR2. To the best of my recollection, it went something like "The old MR2 was all smiles; friendly, fleet and fun. The new MR2 is all business; furious, fulminating and fast." To my thinking the differences between the GTC and Daytona are similar. The GTC is a more fun car to zip around in, and if you rev it, it will go with sufficient verve; a very retro feel that in some ways (and I mean this in the most complimentary way) it reminds me of the original Miata in that it feels a little old fashioned, but just modern enough to be easy to use; an elegant car to admire and enjoy as a willing partner. The Daytona is more imposing, and always feels like it is "straining at the leash" a bit; a much more modern supercar feel to it, where you would probe its limits at your peril; an iconic car to lust after, but somehow also a car that sometimes feels more like it owns you, rather than you own it... :)

Ultimately, I favor the Daytona, but part of that is because I think it is a more interesting car in the arc of the Ferrari road cars; particularly in light of the comparisons to the Miura, and its enduro-racing success. I also find its aesthetics to be sort of singular in the road cars, which again gives it a sense of being special. Finally, I guess I just can't resist the notion that maybe driving a Daytona provides some tiny connection to the souls that turned wheels in anger for Ferrari...

6. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    After 2 years of Daytona ownership, I have sold the Daytona and purchased a 365 GTC. As many on this thread have stated, the driving experience is very different. Driving both cars back to back, the Daytona is much harder to drive, heavier, faster, louder and more on edge, while the GTC is easier to drive, handles better at low speed, has better outward visibility, and is quick but lacks the grunt of the Daytona.

For me ownership of these vintage machines is all about the driving experience, and with that in mind I prefer the GTC. I found that driving the Daytona was an event that I had to get psyched up for, I wouldn't take it out on a whim, and I really had to focus when driving it. Whereas the GTC is much friendlier, easier to hop into for a quick trip, and I absolutely can't wait to take it on a rally.

What I didn't get to do was drive a 330 GTC back to back with the 365 GTC. I hope to find a local 330 GTC owner where we can go for a drive and swap cars at the 1/2 way point.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

-K1-, donv, Terra and 5 others like this.
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    For what it's worth, I don't have extensive experiences with 330 GTCs (only couple of them), but I've driven more than a dozen different Daytonas (all combined several thousand miles), half of them more than just casually and IMO, each felt different from each other, some more noticeably than others, especially when 2 or 3 were driven back-to-back (including those in my avatar).
    Overall mechanical condition, especially those of chassis/suspension and setups (+ tires) seem to contribute most for these differences.

Rifledriver and SCantera like this.
  8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Interesting switch from the Daytona to a 365 GTC. I agree that the Daytona is more of an effort and special purpose drive kinda car. The GTC is actually a functional car. Long travel trips, organized drives and rallies, running simple errands and cruises to nowhere.....it checks all the boxes. While I don't have a Daytona I understand the purposeful drive as I have a great carbed BB512. You just want to drive it with spirit and soak in the experience of a Ferrari race-bred street car. But I am not going to pick up a loaf of bread in the BB.

Too bad you are on the opposite coast. I would love to do a swap of my 330 for a 365 for comparison purposes. Timo is right. These old bangers need to be properly maintained to be able to appreciate the best experience the car can offer.

llink, readplays, Terra and 1 other person like this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You don't hear about this much anymore, but one popular mod on Daytonas was to install power steering, I think from a GTC/4.

readplays likes this.
  10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    One night long ago after a day at Cavallino, Gary Bobileff swore the 365 had it all over a 330. Of course, he and Gerald Rouse were drinking that gawd awful lemon crap. Me, I stuck with Scotch so I was the sober one.

Oengus and FF4X4 like this.
  11. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    Agree that the cars need to be dialed in. My Daytona was a car that Roelof’s Engineering rebuilt, and it was very dialed in. Velocity stacks, 9 inch rears, etc. On the dyno it peaked at 378 DIN/HP and 440 CNm Torque. The suspension and brakes were new, and gearbox was fully rebuilt. She was a spectacular machine, but needed my full attention. For example, if you came into a highway cloverleaf exit too hot and had to lift the throttle, trailing throttle oversteer was pronounced even with the 9 inch rears.

In a similar situation the GTC is much more manageable and easy to correct. Same thing on acceleration coming out of a corner, the GTC slips just the right amount whereas the Daytona was harder to predict. Maybe I just needed more Daytona seat time, but I’m impatient and just want to enjoy the car.

-K1- and Texas Forever like this.
  12. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    I agree the 365 has noticeably more grunt compared to the 330, torque at 4K rpm really kicks in. It’s also more toss-able than the 330, I love the engine and chassis set up. I haven’t compared them back to back, it was a few months gap between drives, so I’d love to do a more direct comparison.

Texas Forever likes this.
  13. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    I currently own a Daytona but have driven my friends 330 and 365 GTC's. The GTC'S are great driving cars as other have said easy to drive and live with. In my mind there is a big difference from the 330 to 365 a lot more power especially in the upper range, which to me makes it very special and exhilarating over the 330. I do prefer the look of the 330 with the side vents over the 365 hood vents. Having said all this the Daytona is in another league to the GTC's cars the power delivery is amazing, the car just keeps pulling like a freight train! I have had mine over 140 mph and I was shocked at how firmly planted the car was at that speed, it was like a rock, a real testament to the aerodynamics of the Pininfarina designer Leonardo Fioravanti and to think this car was introduced in the fall of 1968, it's no wonder when Road & Track tested the car in October 1970 they said "The 365gtb/4 is the Best Sports Car and the Best GT car take your pick IT'S BOTH!" I couldn't agree more!

14. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sounds perfect! I’m looking for something classic to go out and have an ‘adrenaline shot drive’ by myself in from time to time when family and work allow. Something to go alongside a Taycan CT that is carb v12. Love to hear more about the work Roelofs did.

15. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    The Pininfarina-built GTC has superior build quality compared to the Scaglietti-built Daytona.

Dogdish likes this.
  16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Care to offer exact details as to how and if not in every aspect, what areas of the coachwork ?
    Having heard similar statements before and seen some (minor) constructional differences between the two, I'd like to learn what exactly is this ("superior build quality") claim/statement based on, specifically during the time frame of 330/365 GTC vs 365 GTB/4 ?

daytonaman likes this.