430 - DIY: F430 MAF / Mass Air Flow Sensor / Meter | Page 4 | FerrariChat

430 DIY: F430 MAF / Mass Air Flow Sensor / Meter

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Mar 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

So where did i get them

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    No you don’t. If you can’t get the MAF sensor element on its own from Bosch, then you might as well buy a MAF sensor assembly from another car and swap the sensor element into your Ferrari MAF housing. The sensor element is the same one mass produced for loads of different cars using the Me.7 engine management system.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Need4Spd likes this.
  3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Can you demonstrate which one that would be to order?

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have tried several non-OEM MAFs on Porsche and Ferrari and BMWs, and all I can say is they don't work. Sometimes they cause a CEL, and sometimes they just don't run correctly. In all cases, swapping the old factory ones back in solved the issues. From now on, any time I buy a MAF, I go to the dealer, bend over, and say "please." The last Porsche one was $700 for a 997.

The efforts and aggrevation in having to do the repairs again is not worth any amount of savings. This goes for some other car parts as well.

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That should not be a problem if the parts are genuine Bosch. The same part number should have the identical characteristics and the part doesn’t know if it’s going into a Ferrari or other car.
    Often if there is problem using a non-OEM part, the part is not genuine but a counterfeit. I currently have a set of genuine Bosch MAFS in my 360 from CARiD (came in boxes sealed by Bosch logo hologram) but they’re not Ferrari branded, and they work perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

brogenville likes this.
  6. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    I had same issue regarding MAF replacement on an old Ford. So many "new Bosch" units would drive like crap. Fake

Ended up buying a used genuine MAF.

7. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Too many fakes
    Only buy genuine mafs! In Australia they actually arent that dear, normally we pay a lot more for parts
    I replace them in all my cars after 5 plus years

brogenville likes this.
  8. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
  9. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I just refreshed the maf's on my scud (different part number since larger diameter intakes). Given how important these things are to the tune and performance of our cars, I would take no risks and just buy oem/bosch. Its not exaggeration to say that this is one of the most vital components of our cars.

For what its worth, refreshing these two sensors (after 60k miles) yielded the biggest/best seat of the pants improvement in drivability/power than anything else I've done to my car (including bmc filters, xpipe exhaust, etc....). The difference was very apparent. I believe these things can degrade and lose resolution rather dramatically over time/miles, well before they get so bad they throw a code. Like brake pads or clutches, they are wear items, but wear items that are central to the tune and performance of your car. If you have more than a few miles on your car and your maf's are original, you may likewise notice a good performance bump with new mafs!

Need4Spd, Sj_engr and JM280z like this.
  10. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    #85 Sean F., Feb 4, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    Thread here claims that Bosch F00C2G2044, F00C2G2030 , F00C2G2033 are all interchangeable.

2004 Volvo V70 2.5L Turbo uses Bosch MAF 0280218088, which looks like the same MAF as 0280218085. In fact both housings have the same tag PBT-GF-30 on the side opposite the Bosch PN#. The sensor element in the Volvo is F00C2G2044 or 030 or 033.

I don't wonder if Bosch just put a different PN on the same housing as the Ferrari PN. Building molding eq. is not cheap so they'll want to maximize the housing use as much as possible.

https://www.************.com/threads/diy-maf-sensor-cleaning.9429/

insert masaratilife for the *** above. The thread came up when I searched for Bosch Part Number: F 00C 2G2 044 on duckduckgo.

JM280z likes this.
  11. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
  12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Its all a crap shoot unless someone wants to do dyno testing to prove a substitute works. Probably 12 or 15 years ago, there was a long thread on the M5 Boards forum where BMW E39 M5 users were trying to find the Bosch insert for their MAFs. Someone discovered a VW Bosch MAF insert sold online that looked by all appearances identical, though it was off maybe one or two digits on the part number. Several people bought them and confirmed they worked and no "check engine" lights. But one skeptic that tried them, felt something was not right...like a power loss. So he took his car to a dyno shop, and brought along his old MAF inserts. His initial runs with the Bosch VW MAF inserts indeed seemed low. He swapped his originals back in, and he gained like 25 or 30hp at the wheels.

You could certainly be on to something, but without back to back dyno tests, it is only a guess if what you are proposing will work properly.

JM280z likes this.
  13. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Well I just did the full MAF replacement, ~$650 for the set

Would have preferred to replace just the sensors for a couple hundred, seems a waste to make the housing disposable, but am completely comfortable with the outcome.

And @JM280z was in need of the old housings, so in this case it worked out well

14. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Where did you find them? Everywhere I look they are ~$375 each.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
  16. RonScuderia

RonScuderia Karting

Jun 29, 2011
    North New Jersey
    Anyone know if Arks Global Ltd. is the real deal? http://arksglobal.co.uk/?s=bosch

They say they can get the MAFs for the Scud (Bosch 0280218224) for $120 each so I'm skeptical..

17. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Summit racing has them listed, and they can get them as well. The problem is actually 'getting them' to send to me.

I ordered 2 from Summit back in December and they've not shown up from EU yet. Every 3-4 weeks my ship date gets pushed back. They said that the EU supplier has them, but they're just delayed in shipping. They believe they are on the way, but not sure where. Probably stuck on a boat off the coast somewhere.

18. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Did you have any troubles with shipping to the US or problems with customs?

19. Nero_Tenebre

Nero_Tenebre Rookie

Apr 28, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Nero
    Just curious, is it not common practice to just clean the MAFs instead of replacing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Not a one, I was concerned about that as well initially, but no issues. Ben ordering from them for about 18 months. If the item is in stock, comes just as fast as if it was domestic, 2-3 days. Their customer service is excellent. You typically get emailed from a person about your status and they own the result. You can have emails back and forth with that person until your order is complete.

This is a bit new to me, I know some people do clean them with brake cleaner, and I suppose there is no downside to doing that on a periodic basis. I purchased my car with 36k miles and no service records, so I'm putting all new parts on the firing line and then moving forward I will keep things in order.

AandSC likes this.
  21. RonScuderia

RonScuderia Karting

Jun 29, 2011
    North New Jersey
    New to me as well. I saw this in some thread (maybe even this one).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

colorfull likes this.
  22. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Brake cleaner is really tough…. Use MAF cleaner. At any auto parts store.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

colorfull and flash32 like this.
  23. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
  24. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I would only do it when I change the air filters, as you are there anyway. It's an overkill to do it every service, unless you drive 20k a year.

colorfull likes this.
  25. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I been cleaning my MAF for years. Over a period Of time you could very well end up with residue and even oil residue on the sensor.

AandSC and colorfull like this.