Swiss Crash on Christmas Day 2021 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Swiss Crash on Christmas Day 2021

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Marcel Massini, Dec 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    good aim
    not another tree for miles?

2. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
  3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Painful to view.

4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    How about "it is just a car"?

Different folks with different perspectives I guess.

5. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    For most it’s a dream that is realized after years of hard work and achievement. So no I’m not going to allow just anyone to drive my 350k+++ Ferrari. I’ve worked too hard to see it wrapped around a tree. My Nissan Pathfinder is “just a car” and I loan it out frequently. A person’s perspective is formed from experience, common sense, and resources. So my perspective is unless your Ferrari means nothing more than your Nissan or money is a non consideration then I believe you should be very selective about who drives it and under what conditions.

rossodino and RoadRonin like this.
  6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    A Toyota is "just a car"...

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Peter and Eilig like this.
  8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I now have probably 150,000+ miles daily driving new Ferraris since 2010, with a fair amount of spirited driving time. I tell everyone, if you are offered a spirited drive in any modern car, ask them how many miles per year they drive the car. If it is less than 4,000, then they should pass on the spirited ride!!! Never be in one of these cars when the driver says, "Lets try this!". Just get out of the car. I've been 180 mph in my first FF but on a 10,000 ft runway during measured mile event, highly controlled. Video is on youtube of the first run. It probably took six months of daily driving my 2010 California before I felt comfortable in most situations. The first FF took another two months! With each bump in power, and technology it has taken at least a couple months of DAILY DRIVING to get comfortably in control.

9. Al Jr 1963

Al Jr 1963 Rookie

May 21, 2021
    Let's face it...over the last 20 years the rise in horsepower has increased at a much faster rate than human common sense & driving ability. My father had a 74' Dino, a 512BBi, and a Countach..The Dino was a great car as most of us know....not much power but a blast to drive....The Boxer & Countach were both powerful cars and very low tech, but they were controllable even under max acceleration..Todays cars are spectacular but too much car & not enough driving ability. All the tech in the world can't help a fool

Peter, Chizz, obertRo and 2 others like this.
  10. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Like ‘a’ little old lady from Pasadena, or ‘the’ little old lady from Pasadena? Big difference! ;)

11. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    I hope the driver was insured for vehicle damage. I don't know how it works in the US, but here in the UK although your motor insurance policy covers you to drive other cars it's usually limited to third party cover only - i.e. if you hit someone else the insurers will compensate them, but will not compensate for damage to the borrowed car.

People are always getting caught out by this, as they think their own insurance policy allows them to drive any car on the same terms as they can drive their own - until they find out the hard way that it doesn't.

So if this accident had happened in the UK the driver would have had to compensate his friend for the value of the car - which would test even the best of friendships!

12. rolvail

rolvail Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Rol Hamelin
    Switzerland has very strict speed limits and fines are based on your net worth!

13. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    truly we need a sarcasm emoji, my attempted point was that strict speed limits dont necessarily accomplish much, kinda like limiting gun access to the innocent.

Loxo and Texas Forever like this.
  14. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Supercar fail checklist:
    1) Cold Tyres
    2) Traction Control set to Race/ESC OFF
    3) Rapid and high application of gas, brake, steering lock or combination of two or more

Chizz, Texas Forever and Il Tifoso like this.
  15. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    4). Damp / wet road surface.

I rarely take my garden-variety 488 out in the wet, and if I do, the manettino does not leave the WET setting. It's there for a reason!

Chizz, Texas Forever and Il Tifoso like this.
  16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
  17. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Looks like a 458 Speciale to me. Can see a not-quite-mangled air intake on the hood. And racing harnesses - not sure if they were an option on the Italia, but more likely specced on the Speciale.

Shame about the car, but great that nobody was seriously injured.

18. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Must have been difficult to catch the only tree in the neighbourhood.

19. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Why should the driver loose his driving license? Only if he/she drove too fast, but I doubt if anyone has registered that.

20. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    The only beautiful Toyota, but not for people over 6 inch high (like Sean Connery, they cut the roof off to let him sit in it).

Texas Forever and of2worlds like this.
  21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    That is the law in Switzerland. Because he lost control. Nothing to do with the actual speed.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  22. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    Looks like a Speciale to me. Front hood and side skirt wings from what I can tell are Speciale.

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

It's come to the point that modern cars are so ridiculously fast now they can't be enjoyed properly, unless you're on a track. An F8 for example has so much power and is so capable, when driving on what one would consider fun roads in Europe, driving the car at 2 tenths of it's capability is over the sane limit of whichever road you're on and already firmly into license losing territory. With the wider roads in the States you can push a bit more I guess but still well inside the capabilites of the car...and lets be honest here: A car is more fun when being driven on the limit. Driving a slow car fast is far more enjoyable than a fast car slow.

Sure the modern cars are enormously impressive on acceleration so overtaking on the motorway could give a bit of pleasure, but squeeze the throttle for a few seconds and you happen to be near an (unmarked) policeman, goodbye license.

I think cars reached their true peak in the late 2000s, speed vs fun vs interaction. Some notable exceptions here and there.

And I personally blame the Nissan GTR & electric cars for a lot of this. That car was so enormously fast, manufacturers of supercars thought that it was unacceptable and began making technological exercises that blew it out of the water...and then the daft electric cars came and needed to have a selling point: Mindblowing acceleration. And again, supercar manufacturers felt the need to compete and now we are where we are. Cars with totally unusable powers unless you're really, really taking a gamble with your drivers license or indeed personal freedom.

I've said it then and I'll say it now (though it's far too late now): What supercar manufacturers really should've focused on was to make lighter cars and stick with the power figures they have. I love that Porsche has stuck with the 500HP in the GT3. Flappy paddle and manual shift offered. Fantastic. Imagine the 488 Ferrari stuck with the same power as the Speciale but just started to refine the car, much like Porsche is doing these days with their GT3. 488 with full leather at +- same weight as the Speciale, in a more formal suit. Then the Pista, 100kg lighter same story. F8, same thing again.

But I guess it's easier to sell cars with another 100hp added and spend the rest of the day in the pub.

RoadRonin, of2worlds and italiafan like this.
  24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Porsche is doing an amazing job!
    I wish older Ferrari’s weren’t so small. I sat in a friend’s 512bbi (a childhood dream car) but damn I barely fit. I’d love a 3X8 but at 6’2” and ~230lbs...they’re too tight. :(

Texas Forever and of2worlds like this.
  25. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I could not agree more.

Texas Forever and rossodino like this.