348 Clutch Grease RePack Question | Page 3 | FerrariChat

348 Clutch Grease RePack Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by POLO35, Dec 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
  2. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Interesting.....looks like yours, but one set of the small spring keepers backwards. Brown plates facing left?

3. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    MAD, look like yours and the other one you posted show the brown plates with the fat on the anti clockwise side, which by default would make the tops the same ....no other way. Strangely I watched MD video again and he has his one clockwise and the other anti clockwise.....nuts!!!! Made my decision I'm going to slap it together like yours! Thank you!

4. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    #54 POLO35, Dec 21, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Correction, MD guy has BOTH with the fat on the right of clockwise with the corresponding tops matching. Sorry for the error......so his are in fact opposite of both photos:(( Very hard to see but if you zoom you can....I could really see it on a 50in tv!

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You are trying to split hair. Put it back the same way you took it out, good enough.

6. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Yep....Just gonna slap it together and get it back on the road....it's driving season!

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It’s not

9. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    #60 POLO35, Dec 24, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    Oh wow....Thank you. I wound up following MADs pix regarding the spacers and the small apring keepers orientation. I went with MD clutches video orientation of the brown friction plates however which are opposite of MADs and yours. Took yelcabs advice that I was way over thinking it... it's all put back together and working beautifully! Hot start problem solved I can't believe I put up with it for so long. On a side note I just couldn't bring myself to spend a $150 on the kluber (not the money, just principle and didn't want to wait for shipping from Germany) so I did a little research and I came across this: Super Lube silicone based exactly like kluber with a practical operating temperature from -45f to 450f, NLGI 2 and a 400g tub.....$10.51 From Amazon. Slightly higher than Klubers 180c/356f. I weighed out 200 g on a gram scale and it was not quite enough. I needed like an extra 100 g to pack all the holes nicely but again this car is working beautifully! Thanks too all!

Attached Files:

Peter, steved033 and 348Jeff like this.
  10. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #61 348Jeff, Dec 24, 2021
    Peter likes this.
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Providing that Superlube has the same temperature ratings as Kluber grease, you have contributed greatly to the Stooge catalog.

Peter and Targatime like this.
  12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Matt,

I use a similar grease with success in the old days. It has been so long I can't remember but it is probably on these pages somewhere in the earliest archives of Fchat. Kluber used to be cheap so I went back to using it but have not cracked open a flywheel in decade. $150!!!! NFW....lets see how long the super lube works. Note the date and mileage and give us a report in a year. My memory is that 280g was the number so 300 is fine. It is not an exact thing. We need to fill to stop the rattle.

Peter likes this.
  13. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    #64 POLO35, Dec 24, 2021
    Yeah, I have a tendency to overthink things. I actually took the 4 springs and packed them in the Palm of my hand old school as if I was packing a wheel brearng to make sure they were completely packed with grease.

Peter likes this.
  14. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It will be interesting to see if this lasts the course - brilliant discovery if that's the case and worth putting in the alternative parts thread. Do update us all with a long term report :)

15. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    For sure.... Forgot to mention the Super Lube grease is even fortified with PTFE you can actually see it in the grease almost like strands of fiberglass which seems to make it very stiff.... Although still rated NLGI 2, Which is the consistency of peanut butter.

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I recall some older posts where someone was using some form of red line grease instead of kluber as well. I think it was actually red as well it's out here somewhere. Then I recall someone else commenting they use the same Grease. So definitely seems like there's options which is great.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I think in some cases it's foolish to use 30 year old technology in today's world. Certainly today's grease is superior to 30+ years ago....same goes for oil, gear lube, brake fluid, coolant, fuel, led light bulbs, wiper blades,, etc.

18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Were you able to tap it out of the pumpkin with a mallet and a socket or did you have to put in in a press to press it out?

19. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I have done it without a press, and let me tell you I much prefer doing it with a press.

20. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I was able to tap it out using a 3 pound hammer and a socket it made me a little uncomfortable... but it did come out steadily with every tap! A press would certainly be the best option. Have also heard you can rig up a bottle Jack and a 2x4 and press it out that way if you have a sturdy structure above. As far as going back in I polished up the shaft end on the voith with Emory paper and put it in the freezer for about an hour and it dropped right in with little or no effort.

21. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Guys,

I get a whining noise from the tranny when the clutch pedal is released that goes away when I press the clutch pedal. Any idea what I should do?

22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Possibly because my workshop doesn't have heat unless I turn it on, and it hasn't been on for a couple weeks, and it's freezing here in New Jersey, I just shook my pumpkin little and the voith slipped out of the bearing race.

23. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    It's probably your throw out bearing going south, exacerbated by the cold weather.

24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wait... the throw out bearing is on the other end of the pumpkin. I'm referring to bearing that the voith snout is pressed into with that 60 mm ring nut holding it. I recall you saying yours dropped right in when reassembling.