1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service | Page 52 | FerrariChat

1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service

Discussion in '348/355' started by MAD828, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I think you missed some dirt on the tires.

2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Beautiful!!

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Sure is!

4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    There are 5 bushings in the shift linkage and I had replaced 3 of them. The silent block bushings were original and were starting to have excess play which was noticed when adjusting the shift linkage while up on the hoist. There is one on either end of the shift rod. I had to remove the under tray to get to the one under the shifter. They are very snuggly fitted so I used my hydraulic press to remove the old bushings. The fittings were stripped and I plated them at home while waiting for the parts to arrive. I swapped in 8 new copper plated nuts for the bar buffer section to freshen it up while I was there. Shifter feeling is much more precise now and I was able to get a very good alignment in the gate now.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

day355, Targatime, 308 GTB and 2 others like this.
  5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    OCKlasse, 308 GTB, Pepsi10 and 2 others like this.
  6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    raysur, 308 GTB and Mike Morrissey like this.
  7. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I have always wanted to add the period correct P Zero logo to my original spec tires that I had special ordered from Pirelli. They do not offer them with the yellow logo anymore so I had the marking matched exactly from an OG tire and made them in a heat transfer decal and ironed on to the rubber. It’s as it was for the unveiling of the car in 1994, only on the rear tire. I know different markets had different brands as well but most of the official brochures had the cars shod with Pirelli and all Australian cars were delivered new with them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen, Challenge, INTMD8 and 3 others like this.
  8. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    This work and attention to detail is simply stunning. We would be fast friends if you were in San Francisco. Thankfully for my wallet, you’re not. Please continue sharing all that you’re doing to your beautiful car.

MAD828 and Qavion like this.
  9. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    The P Zero heat transfer is just amazing! Of course everything you do is amazing Elliott! :)

MAD828 and Carmellini like this.
  10. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks Jason!

11. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks Mike, took some trial and error to get it right but in the end it came out great.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  12. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    I have seen many people working on Ferraris, but never someone so meticulous and professional.
    complimenti !!!

MAD828 likes this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Definitely a relic of the 90’s. Don’t come across photos of them these days. Started paying attention to it after you mentioned it. I did find one pic of a 355 in a Japanese magazine, which most likely was captured during that period.

Senshi458 and MAD828 like this.
  14. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Yes the PZERO logo on the 348 was on all 4 tires as they were all assimetrico the 355 just had them on the rear as the front was a new designed direzionale tire.

Here is an OEM period tire on my friends car it’s over 21 years old.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    My tires were built in 2018/2019 and they do have the pzero logo but it’s molded and raised on the tire like all the other markings. The font and size is different as well. So the yellow logo is not placed exactly in the same position as the new raised logo has taken that spot.

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Very neat job on the P Zero! My previous F355 GTS still had those as well.

MAD828 likes this.
  17. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    -1 point.....
    :p

18. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Don't make me start marking your car Gizzi : )

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  19. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    OMG.
    Is a negative overall score even possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. 0.0.1.99

0.0.1.99 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2012
    Carolinas
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Hi Elliott
    I am surprised you went with copper plated nuts on the bar buffer since that part is not subject to heat cycles like you find on a manifold. Did the nuts have integrated (non-nylon) locking or did you just use locking washers underneath? The original nuts are probably nylon-lock stainless, right?

21. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Original is copper plated. These are the same exact nuts only new. They have the wavy washers underneath. Again that’s how it was originally.

INTMD8 likes this.
  22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    So the Pzeros came factory on U.S cars? Must be a late model change. I’m seeing Bridgestones on window stickers.

23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I don't have a photo of the door sticker so not sure, but the car had them at the time.

I don't think my 95 had Pzero's, I will check.

My 99-

ShineKen likes this.
  24. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hello @MAD828/Elliott – I just have to take a minute to send this note.

I am a fellow 1995 F355 GTS owner and I have watched this incredible thread with amazement, admiration, interest, curiosity, MASS respect and I must admit envy. I have been on FChat a while (certainly not as long as many but since 2011 so a while) and have to tell you that this by far is the most articulate, educational and interesting thread I have ever seen/watched. Certainly the ones with Jim Glickenhaus and the P3/P4 and Competizione were fascinating but yours hits closer to my heart for obvious reasons. I love, enjoy and meticulously take care of my 355 but you take this to another level.

The incredible level of meticulous detail you have put in to your gorgeous car and documented should amaze even non-Ferrari enthusiasts and even non-car enthusiasts for that matter. Obviously, being a 355 owner and Ferrari fanatic it has even more meaning and interest to me but I would argue that your journey can stand up to and blow away any car documentaries I have seen on Netflix, Discovery, Motor Trend etc. If I had the contacts or means I would push for your journey to be made into a feature such as the excellent Ferrari 312B: Where the Revolution Begins feature – yours is no less mesmerizing and would speak to a wider audience IMHO.

Not only is your information, articulation and documentation incredible, but the exchanges of dialog and information between you and the various other experts on here such as INTMD8, ShineKen, 308 GTB, and many others is not only fascinating but inspirational and educational.

I have stayed fairly quiet since at the levels you and other are operating at my input would just be annoying but just have to take the time to say THANK YOU!

Cheers :)

Suffyk, MAD828, Targatime and 3 others like this.
  25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus