Anyone set up a Montana Loc to register their cars | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Anyone set up a Montana Loc to register their cars

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by carguy007, Mar 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    Honestly, while I don't think folks should register cars in Montana if they don't qualify, I have to respectfully disagree 1000% with the second part of your assertion. I suspect Montana is actually making a ton of $ off folks who register businesses and thus vehicles in the state. I would venture they are literally collecting tens of millions of revenue, if not far more, that they would NOT otherwise collect if people didn't. Between all the various private businesses in Montana (law firms, registration runners, and resultant business taxes and fees etc..) who make $$ off this, and the state who charges folks $$ to register their motorhomes/boats/vehicles there, and taxes the businesses that support it, the state should be flush with cash. You should be paying LESS taxes because of it, because Montana is collecting tens if not 100s of millions of dollars of revenue that they would not otherwise, from people who otherwise consume none of the state's resources. Problem is Montana is simply getting greedy, nothing else. The state raised the fees to everyone, to make even more $, as the market would support it. Nothing else. Sorry

Loxo, spyderman, LVP488 and 5 others like this.
  2. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    @Grease Monkey. Some of your points are valid and others not so much so. How does an out of state LLC owner lead to lost revenue for the state. It’s not like that owner is using any of Montanas resources (roads etc) that the tax revenue goes towards. I understand your frustration with these however given the state is just figuring out a way to make MORE money from these LLC by adding the extra luxury tax. That said, I agree on the moral issue of avoiding taxes and registration in the home state since those owners ARE using their states resources but not paying for them. I’m in WA and they are very strict about these LLCs and enforce “Use tax” very diligently. These was due to the proximity of OE (with no sales tax) and Montana (same). We have no income tax but our sales tax is high (10.1%) and our registration fees on a Ferrari are about $3500/year and gas taxes are high. Hell the state even adds a “Electric Tax” to EV cars since they don’t buy gas (so much for being eco-friendly northwest) That said I pay them and feel no remorse using any resources in WA state. I will say Montana looks like a great place to retire.

Loxo, Texas Forever, Chizz and 3 others like this.
  3. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I had to take a deep breath before responding to this one. First let’s put an end to questioning people’s morality. I thank God for every breath I take, for my family, for a great job, for my patients, for everything because HE blesses me with all that I have and all that I am. Full Stop.
    As far as people choosing Montana plates or North Pole plates that is their decision. I don’t choose to agree but that’s what makes America great.
    As far as people choosing alternatives when they feel taken advantage of that’s a tough argument to make. So let’s just throw our system of laws and justice out of the window. When I feel something is unfair to me I’m going to figure out what I like and what’s best for me to hell with everyone else. You don’t get to make up your own rules. You said it best there is a right and wrong way to do things.

Boomhauer and AD211 like this.
  4. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Ever hear the phrase "eat the rich"?

The phenomenon of owners of $300,000 Ferraris paying less in taxes/registration than owners of $30,000 Camrys -- simply because they have the means to do so -- is where that phrase comes from. :p

Boomhauer and Chizz like this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Doesn't really happen. I see things a bit differently, for example my neighbor has 6 kids and prefers to drive an older suburban that probably costs next to nothing tax wise however he has a ton of money. He is certainly using more of the county and states resources than someone with one or no kids who happens to collect nice cars. Is he paying his fair share?How do you establish what's fair?

LVP488, BMW.SauberF1Team and FLGT like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'm thankful for every day and my family but not for my cars. The ability to purchase cars is a result of years of hard work and time and probably a bit of luck. This does not give the right to the government to take advantage of me or anyone else and that's exactly what they do. People can leverage laws and tax rules to their advantage and that's their prerogative. Some push it more than others and they'll have to live with the consequences should their be any. I'd just leave it there.

7. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    *Looking at property in Tennessee right now*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Forever and Viperjoe like this.
  8. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I did…I moved.

9. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    Sad, having to move because of bad laws…

Gh21631 likes this.
  10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I suppose, but history is replete with similar migrations, and continues to this day for many countries and peoples in the world, let alone businesses that move due to dated and punitive laws (ie companies moving out of CA).

11. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Moving sends a more powerful and obvious message than voting.

Texas Forever, Napoli and Gh21631 like this.
  12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Does a 300k Ferrari that is driven 1500 miles a year take up more resources than an SUV that is driven 20k miles a year?

Does a 450k Pista that sits in a garage cause more wear and tear on the roads than a 30k Camry?

Asking for a friend.

Loxo, Hocakes, 430jm and 3 others like this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    No but your rich so pay up.

14. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Haha, what a funny response!

Gh21631 likes this.
  15. perry01010

perry01010 Rookie

Apr 1, 2014
    Completely unacceptable.

16. perry01010

perry01010 Rookie

Apr 1, 2014
    Absolutely not! I think California should have a flat rate based on weight and mileage. That’s why I registered my 812SF in Montana. Only drive 1500-2k miles but 44K for sales tax is unacceptable.

17. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    You pay property tax on cars? What????

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Problem in CA is if you get pulled over by a cop u better have everything straight ;)

pilotoCS and 430jm like this.
  19. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    That’s the same antiquated argument about income tax. Does someone who makes 8 figures a year take up more resources than someone that makes $15/ hour? No - but we can all afford to pay our share even if the dollar amount is much much larger it likely affects us less than the hourly worker. Same is true with supercars. I mean really how many Ferrari owners are living paycheck to paycheck and can’t afford to pay their taxes and tags? I know plenty of folks that paying those fees on the “Camry” is much more impactful in their lives yet they typically don’t whine on Toyota forums . Lol.

Loxo, Chizz and Boomhauer like this.
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Someone made the point earlier that they didn't have an issue with higher taxes to ensure they had proper roads. Most exotics sit and don't use the roads nearly as much as non exotics.

In regards to income tax most hourly workers barely pay any tax at all, the bulk of taxes are paid by a small percentage of higher earning individuals. What does it mean to pay our share? Many of us pay more in taxes in 1 year than some will pay in a lifetime. How much more should we pay?

21. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I made no argument. I simply asked a question.

It seems you like to pay taxes so by all means no one is stopping you. Please continue to pay what you think your fair share is.

Drson likes this.
  22. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    My opinion only. Pay the taxes and sleep good at night…

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    When the Bennet Law firm says a Montana LLC is 100% legal, the fine print is their opinion only applies to Montana, not to any other state. I called them out on this years ago as being misleading, but it was water off a duck.

Here’s the reality, your home state will not buy the Montana LLC argument if you keep the car in your state. Some argue this interpretation is wrong, but if you get caught, you’re going to have to fight city hall.

I don’t get into the morality argument. That’s above my pay grade. Frankly, if I owned a $1 million dollar collector car I only drove a few times a year and I lived in California or Virginia, I would consider a Montana LLC. Then again, I don’t live in California or Virginia for this reason. It’s called voting with your feet.

Ps Go for a ride with one of your local police some day. You’d be stunned what these license plate readers can pull up. Soon they will know what you had for breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Loxo and AD211 like this.
  24. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Yes, in the People’s Republik of Virginia, you pay annual property tax in addition to sales tax on all vehicles.

Everyone has this misnomer that California is the worst state in the Union for taxes, etc. and this is not true. It is virginia, truly predatory taxation.

mdrums, Gh21631 and Texas Forever like this.
  25. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Actually several people who have posted in this thread do live in Montana...........but I do agree with your post. However there are some owners who do play the game correctly and keep their cars in Montana. The basement at Zip Auto is an indication of that. I don't know how old of cars you own, but both of mine and my motorcycles all have vintage plates, or year of manufacture plates with a one time life time registration fee of $75.00 if I remember correctly.

Loxo and Texas Forever like this.