Just getting out for a drive, nothing special, nothing crazy | FerrariChat

Just getting out for a drive, nothing special, nothing crazy

Discussion in '360/430' started by PeterS, Jan 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I picked up my 360 the Tuesday prior to Christmas, so the first drive was to home, 100 miles. It sat in my garage until last Tuesday when I took it out to get a smog check, 10 miles round trip. Busy with a back yard pergola build this week, my third drive was late this afternoon, just a hop on the freeway for 7-8 miles, then back home.

One would think most would drive the daylights out of the car right after getting it, I did not. Actually, just looking at the beauty of the car sitting in the garage and dusting it every third day or so is almost equal to driving it. I have no plans for any long trips, maybe shoot down from Phoenix to Tucson to see my sister, but that's about it.

In short and IMHO, owning is not always about just driving the car. Anybody with me on this?

BDM348, colorfull, Raconteur and 2 others like this.
  2. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sounds good - but at least include some pictures! :)

3. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Agree! I really enjoy “playing” with them. And welcome from another AZ guy! And yes, we need pics!

4. My AZFerrari

My AZFerrari Karting

Sep 16, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Sean Thompson
    I’m in AZ as well - enjoy the car….whatever that means to you. I drive one of mine over 100 miles every weekend, that’s what it means to me. Enjoy!!!!!

Blessed F430 and 458 owner

alum04org, BDM348 and one4torque like this.
  5. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Weather in the UK, in winter is just rubbish, you do get the odd nice cold, crisp day though, but the majority of the time its tucked away.

This is where its nice having such a special car, I can never tire of bringing it out to polish, tinker with and just put it away again, or just go in the garage for a sneaky peak!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

alum04org likes this.
  6. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz
    It's like being with a beautiful woman. You don't always have to f**k to have fun with her!

clean512 and Mel Spillman like this.
  7. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    [​IMG]

8. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    you swap out the gold rims?

9. ForzaYYZ

ForzaYYZ Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    I got my first F-car end of summer, and am like you. Drive just 25-30 kms on the odd weekend if there's no rain - never out to restaurants or a particular destination. I always volunteer to take the trash or recycling out to the garage for glimpses of the car (even covered it makes me smile). Nothing like the corvette's i had owned and driven everywhere; but maybe this says more about where I came from than where I am now. I had nothing growing up, but everything in terms of family/friends. Worked by butt off to eek out a very good (but not lavish) living with my wife for our family and this is my trophy. Probably the dumbest monetary investment of my life, but somehow one of the most important for me. Like Boba Fett, winter has kept her locked up 3 months already (I'm in Canada), and for 4 more too. Not all about driving for me either.

Raconteur and alum04org like this.
  10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That may be true, but effing her is always more fun than not.

AndreB, Penzinger and EastMemphis like this.
  11. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    @PeterS - 7 or 8 miles is probably not enough to get the car up to operating temperature. I figure 15 miles is the minimum. When I go to the grocery store (less than 5 miles), I take the long way around which gives me the opportunity to run it to operating temp and then push it hard a little and have a leisurely last mile to let it cool down before putting it back again.

When I pickup up my 360 (from an FTech who did the PPI), he told me to once in a while do an "Italian tuneup" which consists of warming the car to normal temps, them running the snot out of it to redline a couple of times. It's good for the car and keeps all the bits operating properly. It's also a lot of fun.

Raconteur likes this.
  12. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nice - but that’a the same picture you posted before! Need new pictures! :p

Raconteur likes this.
  13. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    When I take mine out for a short run (10-15 miles), I ALWAYS rev it out on the highway and go over 100. Fortunately I have a safe stretch of highway that is close to home so this can't be more convenient. I only do it on the way home to make sure everything is warmed up. Makes me smile :)

alum04org and EastMemphis like this.
  14. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    100% with you - Nice post - well stated :) I live in Colorado so while our winters are much less severe than they used to be, there are still periods of time where driving the car(s) is not feasible or smart - but as you stated that does not detract from the ownership experience IMHO - Detailing them, reading about them, catching up on little things like relocating my Battery Tender pigtail, Q-Tip treatment on the various crevices of the interior or just looking at them and pinching myself - all part of the ownership experience :)

15. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I like a spirited drive once in a while such as a good punch getting on the freeway but personally, I enjoy driving as most would not expect to see the car driven. I'll stay at the limit, maybe 5 over while I watch all of the loud Mustang GT's and Chargers fly by me at 110!

16. ifeelfree0

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    [I just received a $300 ticket for distracted driving in my Honda accord so needless to say I've been neutered for a bit.

QUOTE="PeterS, post: 148292681, member: 472"]I like a spirited drive once in a while such as a good punch getting on the freeway but personally, I enjoy driving as most would not expect to see the car driven. I'll stay at the limit, maybe 5 over while I watch all of the loud Mustang GT's and Chargers fly by me at 110![/QUOTE]

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    How were you distracted ?

18. ifeelfree0

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Being the truth.... I was highway driving in the left hand lane and had to move back to the middle lane because people were passing me and then I would move back into the left hand. Each time my speed was 73 in a 70 speed limit. After the third time I reached for my phone which was on the holster on the dashboard and the trooper saw me pull my phone and pulled me over for distracted driving citing the phone as well as me swerving. He didn't want to hear that the swerving was caused by moving over for people speeding, rather he saw me reach for my phone. Hard expensive lesson that won't happen again. Ticket was for distracted driving

QUOTE="yelcab, post: 148292792, member: 211"]How were you distracted ?[/QUOTE]

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Hah, I thought it was going to be more of a ... romantic excuse than reach for a phone.

EastMemphis likes this.
  20. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    [/QUOTE]

If you were going 73 in a 70 here, you would get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic.

21. ifeelfree0

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Not likely.....I would have put on my "East Coast drivers face":D

QUOTE="Fred2, post: 148295347, member: 15759"][/QUOTE]

If you were going 73 in a 70 here, you would get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic.[/QUOTE]

22. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have been too lazy to take more pics! Keep bugging me :)

23. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Feel for you some ifeelfree0. Medina Post OSP are some aggressive traffic-enforcers. Nowhere to mess around, that county and area.

PeterS- Drive that beauty every time you are able ! :cool:

PeterS and ifeelfree0 like this.