True Cost Of Ownership - Aircraft | Page 4 | FerrariChat

True Cost Of Ownership - Aircraft

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by JM280z, Dec 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Mustang?

2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Soverign

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    To get to that hourly figure it is all about what you include or don't include. I'm actually type rated in the Sovereign, and managed the purchase of one new back in 2004. $2k/hour in a Sovereign would cover the fuel, and maybe the engine/proparts programs, but that's about it. You aren't covering crew, hangar, insurance, regular maintenance, etc for that figure. Let alone depreciation.

That said, that figure might be entirely reasonable as the cost of a marginal hour on the airplane. In other words, if you are thinking of flying somewhere, and you have already paid all the fixed costs (and are on the hook for some of the variable costs), then a figure like that might be useful in determining the additional cost of flying a trip over not flying.

Personally, I think hourly costs are most valuable when figured as a marginal cost, since that can help decision making in terms of the financial aspects of taking a given trip (if you care).

A better way, in my opinion, to figure the costs is to look at an annual budget, with an assumed amount of flying. That way you do cover all the costs on an annual basis (yes, some years will be more than others), and you can make a decision on whether or not to include non-cash items like depreciation, or in the case of an aircraft without engine programs engine overhaul/hot section reserves.

nmcclure likes this.
  4. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I can assure you a Sovereign is a heck of a lot more than $2k per hour and I mean a lot...

nmcclure likes this.
  5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    That's very similar to my own hourly cost estimates for my Mooney 231, but over 15 years ago now. I used a spreadsheet and allocated costs to operating vs fixed and calculated the hourly rate at 50 hour intervals up to about 300 hours per year. I allowed for engine overhaul, annuals, tie down, insurance, etc; but not for cost of money or opportunity costs. As I sold the plane for about 50% more than I bought it for, I figure that nearly offset the cost of money/opportunity cost to have my cash tied down in the plane.

IIRC, I was up around $250-300 per hour if I flew less than 100 hours per year, but it came down to $150-175 per hour if I flew closer to 200-300 hours per year. The local FBO offered me $125-150 per hour if I put it on their flight line for rental, which seemed a losing proposition. :cool:

jcurry and Jaguar36 like this.
  6. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I concur. I dry lease a mustang for $1950 /hr and that does not include fuel.

To answer the OP - 3 datapoints: my SR22T was around $400 / hr DOC in total at 200 hrs per year not counting opportunity cost of capital (no debt to service though). My all in costs in leasing the Mustang are ~$2400-2500 and M2 ~$3000-3100 depending on fuel pricing. Those are pretty comprehensive and include a business making some margin on my use. A high utilization owner/operator could get those price points down a bit.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I'm thinking of taking the UAF one year A&P course. Not sure I want to devote a year to it but A&Ps are super difficult to schedule and shops here are around $120 per hour.