The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k | Page 22 | FerrariChat

The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Nov 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Battery electric cars are a stepping stone. They are too inefficient to be where we go for 100 years. I bet they don't have more than a 20 year life span.

tbakowsky likes this.
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Agree. What I don't understand is the aversion to progress.

paulchua likes this.
  3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Are you referring to EVs as progress?

4. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I'm quite sure somebody somewhere (probably a kid in grad school) is cooking up formulas for micro fission power. The computing power to create the formulas to make the materials to make the reaction work hasn't even been reached yet.

We don't know what we don't know. Science and tech often take unforeseen left turns along the way. Assuming a big rock doesn't wipe us out, a whole bunch of wondrous things we can't imagine are on the distant horizon.

paulchua and tbakowsky like this.
  5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I have never heard of any battery issues with brand new Ferrari's, I am therefore confident that the upcoming EV will be reliable and long lasting .....

In other news, EVO car of the year 2021 , SF90 came 10th which is not bad I guess,until you read that Hyundai i120N came in 7th ....

technom3 likes this.
  6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I just realized that the Plaid requires 8-15 minutes to prep once put into 'drag strip mode' to accomplish its top speed run...probably not plural, one trick pony. Given that amount of preparation time, it would "lose" to everything including a person jogging. And, the Plaid requires a very sticky drag strip surface to accomplish its top 0-60 time.

Thought that relevant if not already covered somewhere in this thread.

References:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tesla-model-s-plaid-0-60-under-2-seconds.html
    By the way, the Plaid also uses a uniquely complicated form of launch control called Drag Mode that takes time (as in minutes) to set up while it preconditions the battery for hard launches. Best to keep that in mind if you take a Model S Plaid to a drag strip.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-tesla-model-s-plaid-first-test-review/

How Quick Is the Model S Plaid on a Prepped Surface?

No matter the surface, to get the quickest launch from a 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid, you must dive into the car's infotainment system and select Drag Strip mode. Over the next eight to 15 minutes (the time needed varies), the car preconditions the powertrain for hard acceleration, heating or cooling the battery as needed and chilling the motors.

Once you've enabled Drag Strip mode, quickly chirp the tires on the VHT—at Famoso, it was caked on so thick it very nearly pulled our shoes off—by stabbing the throttle to clear any debris from the tires. To engage launch control, push hard on the brake, press the accelerator to the floor, and wait. Over the next nine or so seconds, the Model S' nose drops into the Plaid's "cheetah stance." When the final "launch control ready" message is displayed, firmly press your noggin against the headrest (trust us), release the brake, and hang on.

The Model S Plaid zips down the quarter mile in a staggeringly quick 9.25 seconds at 152.6 mph. The run from 0 to 60 mph happens just 1.98 seconds after the brutally hard launch. The Plaid covers distance so quickly, it's difficult to even register what's happening. The yoke gets light in your hands, your neck muscles strain as your helmeted head digs into the headrest, and your surroundings blur into mere shapes and colors as a quarter mile of pavement vanishes underneath you.

With an air of anticipation, we lined up the Model S Plaid for its acceleration tests and waited impatiently as the car spent the next 10 minutes or so readying itself in Drag Strip mode.

The Plaid takes at least 60 minutes to get a full charge from the fastest supercharger (in optimum atmospheric conditions, not too hot/cold)

https://insideevs.com/news/544379/tesla-model-s-plaid-supercharging/

7. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    You can still run it fast w/o drag strip mode

I haven't lost to anyone yet (in the plaid)

I was in my RC-F last night and almost lost to some Camaro something or the other, 500hp ain't much these days

8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    As does every car EVER!!! :rolleyes: :D
    (to get very best time. same with the 8-15 minute 'conditioning' where tenths of a second count ;) )

Jaguar36 likes this.
  9. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I don't understand the hatred on the warm up time. You gonna run your SF90 hard with a cold engine? The only difference is the Tesla has a programmed procedure to make the process easier.

It sill launches wicked hard even without drag mode as well.

Wikdstrate and BJK like this.
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    or COOL down, depending. ;)

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Exactly. I mean I can understand anger if ICE is banned. I get it, but I see that a very long ways away (if at all). Even then I’m sure collectible cars will have exemptions similar how cats are not required for older cars today.

tbakowsky likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Gay thing?

I must be gay for loving Enzo then.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    And as was said in the other thread about that EVO review, it was pretty useless.

How can you even judge where a car like the SF90 fits in on such a list, when all you have are 2-3 hours behind the wheel on wet cold roads in Scotland, on MPSC2 tyres. In order to create such a list, one should at the very least live with the car for a few days. One should perhaps also run it both on track and road.

Talk about thin and pointless journalism.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Depending on your age you may take that in the wrong way. Let me explain. In my generation it means anything that is stupid or to be ignored. It seems to be coopted by many to mean something sexual but that's their problem. I thought the LaF was gay because they added an electric motor to their V12 hypercar!

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Pretty sure it's not as fast as modern Ferraris. Plaid tops out at 175 mph when in track mode. Fcars in excess of 211 mph. Standard Model S anywhere from 130 to 155mph top speed. Quicker to 60? Sure. But not faster.

NachoRunner601 likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think the term track mods is hillarious. The brakes on that boat are so poor it has no business being near a track.

It accelerates to 100 kph in a similar time as an SF90, yet the SF90 will probably go pretty deep into the 220's.

Here's a fun thought. Let's regear an SF90 so that it tops out at 180 mph in 8th. I suspect that little Model S will be more than left for dead. That's a significant increase in wheel torque it would see, if the final ratio was changed.

Just trying to illustrate how utterly ridiculous this comparison is. I wonder how many ofcthe current Ferraris that toaster would hang with from 100 kph to 250 kph. Probably only the Roma and Porto.

17. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The plaid has its top speed currently software limited to 165 mph. The plaid does not put full power down till 80 mph and will pull a 765lt on a roll. Dragtimes, has many video showing straight line speed comparisons with SF as well as many others. This, of course does not make the plaid a better car than the Fcar, but it’s important to note the consistency in its straight line acceleration.

best

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I saw some youtube video a month or so ago with the Plaid on track (YT channel was Speed Academy). It kept losing control under braking. It turned out the rear brakes were locking up before the fronts, which is extremely dangerous. Glad the guy didn't go into the wall braking on the last turn before the straight. He spun out turn 1 into grass both times and couldn't believe it. Better off with an M5 for daily and track for those that really want a sedan. They go 190mph now (restricted) and unrestricted even more. Not to mention higher quality interior. They are made for speed and the autobahn. It is much more difficult to design a car that can safely go 200mph and stay there for long periods rather than quick on-ramp speed limit runs.

I'm honestly not sure why people quote 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Flagship cars have hung their hat on top speed/Vmax. The F40 being the first production car into the 200 mph barrier. The McLaren F1 still the record holder for highest n/a speed at 240+ mph. Now we're at 300+mph targets. The 0-60mph metric seems like a holdover from generations ago when cars could barely go over 100mph so 60mph would make the bulk of top speed so might as well base times on that. Nowadays 60mph is a mere fraction of a car's speed so why stop the time there?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  19. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    You keep grasping at those straws. In the end, it won't matter.

Electric is here to stay. 5 years from now there will be legit electric sports cars that no combustion car can touch.

Progress stands still for no one. Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    They are not cars .Just an appliance ..aka white goods .. washing machine ..fridge freezer ...vacum cleaner ... no thanks.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What on earth are you on about?

He is talking about a specific car at a specific point in time. It has absolutely nothing to dovwith grasping at anything. We àre talking about the current Model S which features the most silly name fitted to a car in recent times, the Plaid.
    Anyhow, we are talking about specific issues with that car and about why Tesla is so focused on those 0-60 times. They are so interested in comparing themselves to the big boys, yet they will not compare anything else. They won't even compare interior quality to other cars. All they have with the rug car is that accelleration - a Plaid is a kind of blanket by the way.

I'm not adverse to EV cars. I have a Taycan Turbo S on order to support the Lusso, and I think the Batista is brilliant. I just think the Plaid is an ugly, crappy built, overhyped one trick pony not worth the money. Is it faster than my Taycan? Sure, but the quality, drivability and looks is not even remotely close.

Stick to the topic at hand, nht what's 5 years out.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  22. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The reason for 1/4 mile and 0 to 60 is that, unlike driving at 200 mph, it implies performance one could expect to extract on a daily driving basis. I can only surmise that a vast majority of people, especially in the states, never, ever drive that fast. Where do u make your 200 mph runs?

Wikdstrate likes this.
  23. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed

Go re-read my Original Post.

This discussion was never about just Tesla.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    then why similar enthusiast and mod community as exotics? there are clubs, online forums, extensive mods available, etc.

I've never seen so many people butt hurt over something that supposedly "doesn't matter".

Jaguar36, Golden Steed and BOKE like this.
  25. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky