F12 bonnet closed sensor went bad...anyway to get car in gear? | FerrariChat

F12 bonnet closed sensor went bad...anyway to get car in gear?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Bobby_P, Jan 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    It appears my bonnet sensor has gone kaput. Despite the bonnet most certainly being closed...an indicator on my dash is suggesting otherwise.

Wouldn't be much of a problem aside from the fun little safety measure of not allowing the transmission to be removed from 'park.'

Hoping to avoid the needless 100+ mile tow...despite being on Ferrari's dime...to the dealer for such a simple issue.

Is there a way to somehow allow the transmission to operate normally to anyone's knowledge?

Thanks!

2. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    It's a simple switch. Primary latch has a little notch that pushes up against that thin metal bar that pushes the tiny switch which tells the car the hood is closed. Have someone manually push that thin plate up while you try to start the car. take a pic of it if yours look different.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 and Bobby_P like this.
  3. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    Thanks for posting your photo.

This is a picture I took earlier today...so I need to remove the plastic cover to look at my assembly from your angle to compare.

Assuming it is not the sensor that is bad...if I am able to "trick" the computer into thinking everything is fine by manually manipulating the latch to select a gear...once I no longer am manually manipulating the latch won't I receive the same error code and...perhaps...the computer places the engine in "limp" mode?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    if you're taking the plastic cover off, check the connector that connects the switch to the main harness. make sure it's connected.

you should be able to look at the thin metal bar from my angle without taking plastic cover off. I didn't take mine off to take the picture.

I'm pretty sure it's the switch, or the switch somehow got decoupled from your hood latch operation. if the car somehow puts you in limp mode, and if you're able to start the car by manually pushing the switch, take the plastic cover off, disconnect the switch from the main harness. measure resistance between the 2 wires as you push the switch in & out. it should read 0ohm when the switch is pushed-in. after you confirm that, all you would have to do is just connect the 2 wires at the connector with a short wire. that'll get you to where you need to go.

Bobby_P likes this.
  5. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004

Thank you!

sunghyun7 likes this.