Daytona crash test footage | FerrariChat

Daytona crash test footage

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Daytonafan, Dec 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    This was shared with me on twitter yesterday (H/T to Matteo if he is also on Fchat). It is footage of a Daytona being crashed tested into a concrete barrier presumably as part of it’s certification process. There is no sound and no other background as to whether this being conducted by Ferrari or the authorities but it is a fascinating watch

donv, bertdeboer340 and V12addict like this.
  2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    What the heck was that?

What was the extra bracing tubing for? What was the gizmo mounted on that tubing? And what was on the back, where a license plate would go?

Someone here must know the backstory.

Matt

Texas Forever and Daytonafan like this.
  3. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Telemetry equipment.

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Interesting footage. Awesome find.

5. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    I would say it is remote control equipment

6. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I would guess the bracing was just the mount for the steering remote control. Looked like the trailing car was being used to control the Daytona. I thought the lights on the box on the rear was interesting, I'm wondering if they indicated when it was going the right speed.

7. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    Cool footage. The Daytona must have been fitted with an automatic transmission to do that without a driver.

8. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Not sure what speed this Daytona was traveling, but i am impressed with the crash worthiness for that time. Not a small overlap with today's standards, but still not bad. Looks the test was done by Fiat engineers. Thank you for posting

Daytonafan likes this.
  9. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I wonder if a 550 would fare any worse. Seriously. Does anyone know?

10. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Wonder if the car was issued a S/N and whether or not it was scrapped after the test.

Texas Forever and 375+ like this.
  11. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    #11 morcal, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Clip downloaded from "Centro Storico Fiat" ( Fiat Historical Archive), a YT channel were you may find a lot of visual docs related to manufacturing, testing and advertising of Fiat & Lancia vehicles . Very interesting and educative, most of the clips in Italian language
    i.E: []

Sig. Roma and Texas Forever like this.
  12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Quite a few years ago a journalist got onto the Ferrari property and took some pictures of the big pile of cars used for crash testing. They are kept, I believe by law and no parts of any kind were removed. It was actually quite a trove of good used parts.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No it had a standard shifter. It wasn't going that fast. Could have just started out in 2nd. Car could easily go that fast in 2nd.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I saw a 575 that hit a solid wall. Expensive repair do to the added complexity and parts cost but in terms of damage it wasn't that bad.

-K1- and Texas Forever like this.
  15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Did Daytonas have tube frames? As I recall, they are strong.

16. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I’m very interested in the point at which you can balance fun and analogue with some level of safety. Is it at the 550? Or can one stretch to a Daytona?

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #17 Rifledriver, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Depends on your definition of safety. I ride motorcycles. I am the best safety equipment I know of. Been riding over 50 years and I am still alive. That included a lot of commuting rain or shine.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Kind of. The center section is pretty strong but as with any of them the ends are mostly structure for hanging body on. At about the place that the crushing stopped its pretty strong. I think in this crash the most important element is its not that heavy a car so there is not a great deal of energy.

Strong isn't really what you want in an accident. You want energy absorption. A big Benz gets crashed like that and nothing left in front of the firewall but the doors will still open.

readplays and Texas Forever like this.
  19. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Its the idiot factor that concerns me most. Like today I am driving the 'high road' from Laglio to Como and some crazy Italian in a van just has to get past and overtakes on a very blind corner. Luckily no one was coming the other way. Careful or not thats a hard one to avoid. 500m later the idiot is parked on the side of the road - go figure!

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And my primary safety system has been doing a great job of defending me against idiots. I find Italian drivers vastly superior to their American counterparts. And since living in Texas they seem to be the worst I have experienced. It is as though they never converted from the horse successfully. The number of single car accidents is mind boggling. They all drive with the motto "What could go wrong". The guard rails on the road leading to my house get destroyed quite regularly from single car accidents. They ram the ends because they are too busy texting to be able to drive too. Texting and driving is a Texans God given right.

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As far as your truck story. I was on a mountain rod and a tour bus going the other way left no room on a tight turn for anything but a motorcycle. Luckily I was on one or I'd have hit that bus.

Ergo motorcycles are safer.

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I love that they waste 2mns with some creative angles only to miss the actual crash. Italians are amazing.

-K1- likes this.
  23. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    They ram the ends because they are too busy texting to be able to drive too. Texting and driving is a Texans God given right.[/QUOTE]

Brian, yes, a God given right... and God takes it away sometimes too.

Perry