Rolex question | FerrariChat

Rolex question

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by arizonaitalian, Apr 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'm getting my first one today...an Explorer II with white face.

I don't like to wear metal bands, so a question:

How does one change the band to a NATO or rubber band?

(Is it something to do at home, or does one need a watch guy to do it?)

Thanks!

Pics of your Explorers with non metal bands appreciated and source for getting bands.

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Welcome to the world of Rolex.
    First things first, a metal band is a bracelet, and typically in watch speak, band = strap.

That said, on an Explorer II, if it's a 16570 there are holes on the lugs that are pressed in to release the springbar. Once the bracelet is off, put the springbars back in and thread the Nato through.

If it's a 216570 with no lug holes, you need a bracelet removal tool with a forked end. Get the right one made for Rolex, the fork is smaller for Rolex than other watches. From the back, the forked tool is inserted, catches the shoulder of the springbar and lever it to the inside. Replace springbars for the Nato.

Lots of videos on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_mdv6v0A6s

3. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #3 arizonaitalian, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    I didn't realize there are two models? I'll ask them if its a 216570 or 16570...what is the difference? (I think its the latest model as its new and from an AD...I'll ask them (its being shipped to me so I don't have it atm)

Edit: I verified, it's the 216570.

4. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    oh...I gotta ask...is getting a discount from an AD on a 216570 in white face possible?

If "yes", what would par for the course be?

5. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    If you want a rubber band made specifically for your Rolex, check out RubberB. I put one on my Datejust about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. No fading, discoloration, or any of the things I worried about. A bit spendy but worth it.

Rubber B Watch Bands & Straps

The fittings are very precise to your particular model (and size), so don't be afraid to contact them for help in getting the exact right band. The website is good but you might get a little lost in the details, as I did.

Smiles likes this.
  6. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #6 arizonaitalian, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Thanks. That's exactly what I got from the AD with the watch:

Strap for Rolex Explorer II New 42mm - Classic Series | Rubber B Watch Bands & Straps

So absurdly spendy at $270 for two little pieces of rubber (yeah, my AD charged me $270 rather than the $220 on their website...I'll be dealing with that soon). I got the solid black one, but think I'll be trading it for the one with white or orange stripe...gotta think on that...

I will also seek out a couple of NATO style straps. I'd really like a rubber one that has a simple tang buckle so I don't use the fancy deployant rolex buckle with it...

EDIT: I called and had them keep/returned the solid black Rubber B strap. I want to look around a bit before getting one. So...now I have something to do for a few hours :)

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    You can spend about half the amount and get an Isofrane strap.

For that matter, there are plenty of ~$20-30 rubber straps that will fit and look fine (20mm at lugs).

8. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    #8 douglas360, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's mine. I have a specialized pick tool from Dave's gold connector kit that makes a perfect Rolex lug removal tool. :) I can swap the RubberB and Rolex metal bracelet around in a minute or two.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks. I'm now home and doing some web searching. Ideally the watch takes a 21mm, but I found loads of pics with 20 and with 22...

10. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    21? It must be the newest model, i guess. I didn't realize they went with 21mm at the lugs. I would probably go with a 22mm and squeeze it in, but you can likely find 21mm straps.

Somewhere, I have pics of my sub with a 20mm Isofrane, looks great, IMHO, but I prefer the stock metal bracelet.

P.S. You can do a Google image search for explorer ii Isofrane and see plenty of pics of how it looks.

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yes, and I can't say publicly.....

12. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Exp. II is 20mm.

13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #13 arizonaitalian, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

When you say Exp II, which model are you referring to? (was the 16570 called Exp I and that is what is confusing me or was it also called Exp II?)

Are you sure both the smaller 16570 and the bigger 216570 both have the same size?

(Asking because Two band makers specifically say they don't and make a model for one or the other and several places I found on the web say the 216570 is 21. Do you have a source?)

Here is one tread on the "new" EII (talking about the 216570):

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=255185

And another (there are more):

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/explorer-ii-42mm-21mm-lugs-help-1917866-2.html

14. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Explorer and Explorer II are different watches that are still sold. They share a name, but really very different (size, features)...

15. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #15 arizonaitalian, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

Yeah, that part I know (exp doesn't have a date or second time zone).

It's the two models of exp II that are causing the confusion on strap size. The old model (16570) has the same functionality as the current model (216570), the newer one is bigger and a few other differences (like the bracelet design)

16. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You're correct, and I spoke too soon, the 216570 has the 21mm bracelet like the Deepsea.

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what is the lowest price i can expect to pay for a good used Rolex?

18. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Bad time to be buying used. Depends on the model. I’m not the resident watch expert here, just know enough to get myself in trouble. My buddy sent me an ad for a 1984 unpolished submariner with pumpkin hands for $21k…. Saw some Submariners for around $14k a while back? GMT’s all over the place, but maybe holding around $20k? Daytona’s around $30k…. You’ll probably have to be more specific for the pro’s on this board to give you some feedback.

19. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    You went to dark side... it's deep very deep, I am still resisting... :)

20. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    In general, considerably over retail. It's crazy.

Is there a specific model and vintage you're considering?

21. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ i dont know anything about watches.
    i did get a nice Omega 45 yrs ago when i graduated
    h. s.
    never wore it.

22. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    If you visit The Vintage Rolex Forum (.com) you will find a high level of expertise and solid information on models and prices. Their Vintage Rolex Market will give you a good sense of current values that can be measured against other online sites and brick and mortar stores.

23. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I plan to unload my Air King (14000) that I purchased new in @2006? Is there a good safe means to do so direct from seller to buyer. Since smart phones, I have not worn a watch in over 10 years. I have a good offer from a local Rolex dealer but figure I can get a few more $ dealing direct with a buyer and they can save a few $ as well as tax.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    What $ are you looking to receive? Can DM if more comfortable with that.