Ferrari F430 Spider vs Lamborghini Gallardo LP560 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F430 Spider vs Lamborghini Gallardo LP560

Discussion in '360/430' started by ansarchoudhury, Jan 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Ferrari vs Lamborghini

1. Ferrari F430

27 vote(s)
    84.4%
  2. Lamborghini Gallardo

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. ansarchoudhury

Jan 27, 2021
    London,UK
    Full Name:
    Ansar Choudhury
    Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase either a Ferrari F430 Spider in Rosso Corsa or a Lamborghini Gallardo LP560 and I wanted to know which would be the best to buy? I’m looking to spend under £90k and I want to buy a car which would have the lower maintenance costs (in terms of servicing and parts), and would also maintain its value better. I love both cars so much as they have been dreams ever since I was a child hence the difficult decision.

I am 22 years old, so which would be the car for me?

Thank you everyone.

2. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would say neither (sorry for the bubble burst)
    But you wont like that answer so i ask will you be borrowing money for this?

3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I am biased, as I own an F430; go with the Ferrari. However, purchase price is just the entry price. I feel like the Lambo will have a lower cost of ownership. I keep mine running smoothly, and I spend a couple of grand a year in addition to my payments to keep it that way. So, if I was unbiased, truly had no preference, and wanted better reliability or cheaper maintenance; I'd probably go for the Gallardo. Then again, the F430 design is pretty timeless compared to the Gallardo. No bad outcome here, either car will be a lot of fun.

4. ansarchoudhury

Jan 27, 2021
    London,UK
    Full Name:
    Ansar Choudhury
    Thank you very much for your responses!

I am very grateful to have my father purchasing this car for me, but yes we will be financing this car, hopefully to keep it for about a year to 18 months and then switch to perhaps a Huracan or a 458.

5. ansarchoudhury

Jan 27, 2021
    London,UK
    Full Name:
    Ansar Choudhury
    If you don’t mind me asking @craze , how comes neither?
    Thank you!

6. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I think you should figure out which design language speaks to you more. Ferrari design language is more fluid, curvaceous, voluptuous, while Lamborghini design language is more masculine, angular, aggressive, taut.

I own a three pedal 360 spider, and I can’t take my eyes off of the high rear hips, curved intakes, and sleek lines. I’ve never been partial to the angular styling of Lamborghini, but clearly that’s more subjective and personal to me, as there are many Lamborghini first fans not partial to Ferrari designs.

Which car do you have a hard time taking your eyes from? Go with that. Make sure you have a thorough pre purchase inspection completed, specifically looking for any deferred maintenance. Over a 12-18 month period depreciation shouldn’t be an issue, nor should repairs and maintenance if you specifically look for deferred maintenance in your PPI.

And, it sounds like you are indeed in a fortunate position. Find a way to learn from this experience with your father. He’s clearly trusting you to value the car and make good decisions - honor that trust and respect the opportunities you’re being given. It seems from your honesty about your situation you’re approaching things the right way.

Whatever you decide, post when you buy, and enjoy in good health!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

VAF84, Shorn355 and Doug. like this.
  7. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I think both the Gallardo and F430 are in the same ballpark as far as annual service costs go. Around $1-$3k (USD) a year.

I'm assuming this is your first foray into an exotic car, and as mentioned previously absolutely do get a pre-purchase inspection done by a dealer or reputable independent technician. Do not buy either car without a solid history of service records verifying maintenance was completed and on time. When you do go to sell this car in a year or so, the new owner will want to see a detailed history, so it will do you good to make sure you pick a car that is well documented. Search through the 360/430 forum here and you will find frequently asked questions about the ownership experience and plenty about maintenance, resale value, etc. Also, here are a few good reads:

https://www.forza-mag.com/issues/190/articles/all-star

https://www.evo.co.uk/ferrari/f430

8. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I haven't seen a spec like that before, absolutely gorgeous 360!

SRLC716 likes this.
  9. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I just think it’s too young to have such a car

PhilB and Ffre92 like this.
  10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If paps will up the budget slightly I would be looking for a manual 430 spider, last of the breed ,a real Ferrari and just keep it as part of your pension in 43 years time.

11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Why is maintenance cost so important since it will probably be much less than finance cost (guessing £ 2000 per month) or insurance (if you can get it maybe £ 1000 per month at your age) ?

One answer would be to be bought the one you prefer after a test drive but again your age will probably make that difficult...

12. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Maybe the purchase is done by dad, but the running cost will be covered by the son?

13. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    While I agree, the OP stated this is just a stepping stone into Huracan or 458 territory - which will probably just be a stepping stone into Aventador or SF90 territory - which will just be a stepping stone into .... WADR to the OP a 22-year old with a 3-pedal 430 is a waste of a 3-pedal 430.

14. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Many other good responses on here so won't bore you and others with redundancy nor will I pontificate on your age or how you are obtaining the car - not my business.

As stated, both cars are about the same on procurement and ownership costs so it really comes down to which one you want - which one makes your heart flutter. They are both beautiful, fast, sexy and well-built cars. I am a Ferrari guy at heart but have been tempted on several occasions to (and still might) own a Lambo so while I am older than you I, too have faced the same conundrum.

One thing not mentioned that you will want to research is whether the car has been used in an Exotic Car Rental program or one of the "Rent an Exotic" track programs where you pay for a certain number of laps around a track. Not that these are showstoppers but in some cases cars in these types of programs were abused and not properly maintained since they are just commodities to be replaced with the next attractive model. Just know going in since 430s and Gallardo's (obviously F1s/E-Gears respectively) were a favorite of these programs.

The only other factor you may want to consider is with this vintage/model choice with the 430 your are owning a purebred Ferrari and with that comes the wonderful legacy/history/bloodline etc. With the Gallardo you are basically owning an Audi R8 with Italian styling and a bloodline that is all over the place. Not sure if that matters since you plan to flip for something newer quickly down the road but just a factor.

Cheers and good luck :)

OK OK - So I just gotta say it - Please, please realize the extreme performance capabilities of these cars and the fact that most 22-year olds have neither the maturity or driving skill to handle them - coupled with typical youthful exuberance and situations you could potentially be in as a 22-year old. I/we don't know you and you could be super-mature and a phenomenal driver so just take this for what it is worth. I have seen far too many totaled exotic cars and injured drivers/passengers - not to mention other cars/drivers/passengers on the road due to the dangerous combination of immaturity, extreme high performance, minimal talent/experience and exacerbating situations. Just be careful and enjoy the car and if you want to explore its and your limits then do a track day and get some professional instruction and supervision.

Cheers :)

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    the Gallardo will be faster, cheaper to maintain, and has a higher quality interior. On the downside, it is ugly and has a horrible e-gear transmission. I would honestly skip it and go to a Huracan.

the 430 has a better looking exterior and a better (but still single clutch ) transmission. I would also skip and go to a 458 or a Scuderia, which I prefer to a 458....loved my Scuderia drives, was bored by the 458.

The bridging concept of buying a car then trading up in a short time period never made sense to me....there are costs doing that, just buy what you want now.

16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    360 yes. 430 no. Would rather the G

17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    A dealer friend who had experience both said skip the Gallardo, too much Audi and drives like a truck. Very happy with my 430. (manual)

18. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thank you!

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If both cars are in proper running order, none of them should have any particular maintenance cost over 12 to 18 months.

If you are ready to purchase,a 458 by then, I'm not sure why you won't just wait.

As for value, the F430 should hold its value better. There's a ton of Gallardos out there and they are not normally held in as high regard as the F430. That said, not sure there will be much depreciation between them over such a short period. Also keep in mind that the market is rather crazy right now, and it is very hard to say what will happen in that time.

As for driving, there is zero comparison. It feels heavy, cumbersome and a bit clumsy by comparison. The F430 is a very agile and nimble drivers car by comparison. Also, interior space in the F430 is significantly better.

Not a fan of the Gallardo in general, and it will never be the fun drivers car the F430 is.

Drive both and see which one you prefer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Just something to add. If it was me and I was looking for something easy to run in that price bracket, I'd get a McLaren 570S. Overall newer, better and more modern car than both.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

slm likes this.
  21. ansarchoudhury

Jan 27, 2021
    London,UK
    Full Name:
    Ansar Choudhury
    Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for the replies! I am so grateful that I have been blessed with such an opportunity and I hope to one day be able to purchase my dads dream car for him too (a 488 Pista).

Yes the maintenance and insurance will be covered by myself.

I have moved forward with the F430! You guys were right - the one that I couldn’t stop staring at was the way to go! I have loved this car since I was a child!

Thank you all for your comments and when I collect it, I will surely send pictures.

VAF84 likes this.
  22. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Glad this was a helpful exercise for you! Be sure to post pics, and if there’s a car you want input on before buying, something tells me there won’t be a shortage of opinions!

You’re making a good choice.

23. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Congratulations! You will love it - Looking forward to pics and future posts - Welcome to the family - Cheers :)

24. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Good choice.

25. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Excellent choice

If you take the time to learn to properly maintain it and work on it yourself, you will be greatly rewarded.