Anyone ever try an induction heater to ease transmission mount insertion? | FerrariChat

Anyone ever try an induction heater to ease transmission mount insertion?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jaymac, Jan 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    As I look forward to/dread the upcoming winter project of replacing my upper transmission mount (‘03 360), I’m going through the process mentally. One idea I had was to use an induction heater (bolt heater) to try any heat the transmission immediately before (while?) inserting the mount. I’ve read nothing but stories of frustration and aching backs from other DIY’ers, and while I know of course it can and does get done on a regular basis, I’m just looking for every advantage I can get.
    I’m wondering if an induction heater could be positioned, secured and utilized to heat the aluminum to a higher temperature more efficiently and safely than holding a torch on it for an extended amount of time, which I’ve read has produced a mixed bag of success, at best, in conjunction with the ubiquitous freezing of the mount.
    Am I wasting time chasing down this theory? Or could I be onto something here…?

2. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I put a little moly grease on mine and it went right in without a lot of effort. Mine was not difficult at all. At first it didn’t want to go straight but popped right in after about a 1/4 inch. No freezing or heating required.

Getting the old one out does take some effort and a little heat.

Jaymac likes this.
  3. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    Wow, you’re the first person I’ve seen to report such an experience! I’ll take a glimmer of hope :)

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I ended up putting the mount in the freezer overnight. Then the next morning, put a heat gun on the tranny and left it there for an hour or so, had the mount in within a few minutes and felt silly for wasting so much time the days beforehand.

Jaymac likes this.
  5. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    Nice! Another success story! Keep ‘em comin!

6. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Real PITA to get the bush started straight. But once it's started and looking as it's goin in straight let the tool do the rest.

clean512 likes this.
  7. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    You would think someone would’ve made some sort of jig by now, like the sleeve they use to line up and insert pistons into cylinders during engine assembly, just to ensure it’s true and straight.

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    get the Hill Eng tool set

Fcar tech likes this.
  9. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    I’ll have that too. Just looking to gain every advantage possible.

10. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

My experience was not bad...much more work getting it out. Hard to start it straight, but once its started, no big deal. I used ebay press tools you use with a socket set! I did do the freezer trick. Good luck!

11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Freezers don't work. You're only dropping the temp by 20-30 degC. I've measured before and after and you're talking less than .oo1". Liquid nitrogen is a different story but would destroy the rubber. Heat works good though.

12. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    I've replaced/upgraded around 4-5 trans bushes in the last 6 yrs. My car and buddy's cars the last one i replaced round 6 months ago went straight in no issues man i was shocked, maybe the planets were aligned that day or the Leprechauns were watching over me. Gud luk mate.

13. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    #13 Sj_engr, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Jaymac likes this.
  14. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    That is a nice set! Very similar to the one I borrowed, but better suited for the bushing task. Wish I had found it.

15. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Would be nice if we could buy one and share it amongst ourselves. Maybe a deposit when it’s sent to you and you get 90% of the deposit back (minus shipping) when you return it so the price is spread out but cheaper for everyone?? And maybe at the end of the day the original purchase/coordinator makes enough for an adult beverage. Would be an interesting endeavor.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I do not use heat installing them. I think it is a bad idea on a rubber mount. I change and lengthen the taper on the mount and they just go in.

I have done probably near a hundred of them.

AandSC likes this.
  17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Are you looking to do this soon? I've actually lent and borrowed tools from others on this site...it's pretty heavy and clunky though, so shipping both ways might make this particular piece not worth it.

18. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    My next annual is April/May, so I’ll be inspecting my transmission mount then. I’ve already got the mount for when it does need replaced. Agree shipping can be a little pricey but if it fits in a USPS flat rate box it might be worth it?? I don’t mind buying all the tools I need but this is an item unlikely to be used more than once, maybe twice.

19. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    I’ll be buying my mount shortly and will plan on replacing it sometime in February, probably in the course of installing my new catback and performing other annual services. Which tools do you have?

20. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    Which press is this? I have only seen the HE tool before. I’m wondering if this one is easier and more efficient to work with?

21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have the Hill tool. it may fit in a flat rate box, not sure how big those go..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

AandSC likes this.
  22. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
  23. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    The amazon link is in the post.

Jaymac likes this.
  24. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    Sorry, I completely breezed right past the embedded link. I just purchased the kit. I am wondering and hoping if these will also work to do my lower ball joints?

25. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    I’m sure you’ve posted this far more times than one in the past, but can you share a link perhaps to how and how much you change and lengthen the taper for an easy install?
    Thank you!