Wanted - 430 Scuderia | FerrariChat

Wanted 430 Scuderia

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Clabby93, Jan 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clabby93

Clabby93 Rookie

Jun 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Clabby
    I've been lusting after a Scuderia after first seeing & hearing one blow out my eardrums back in ~2009. I was about 15 then, and the Scud has been a huge motivation behind my business endeavors ever since. I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on the dream car and hoping to find the perfect example to pile a ton of miles onto.

Located in NYC but will travel anywhere in the US. Cash buyer and ready to buy ASAP.

- Must be red, either rosso corsa or scuderia
    - Prefer an 09, if 08 must have carbon pack
    - 10-15k miles would be my ideal range, but flexible on the right car
    - Looking for something well taken care of - no deferred maintenance or rough examples
    - Private sellers preferred over dealerships. Happy to pay a premium on one owner/long time owned cars.

2. vr4henry

vr4henry Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Great minds think alike? I nabbed the same spec car about 15 months ago and wow-eee. It’s exactly what I was hoping for. Good luck on the hunt!

Clabby93 likes this.
  3. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
    Yup, its a dream car for me also. One of my buddies here has one that I lust over everytime he brings it out!

Clabby93 likes this.
  4. scudif1

scudif1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2013
    Merrick, NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I absolutely love the Scuderia! I’m striving to get one myself within the next few years. Good luck with your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clabby93 likes this.
  5. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Same for me, saw a red with gold wheel back in 2008 and made a goal that it would be my 1st Ferrari. Finally picked one up last year. Love it! Seems like good examples are getting harder to find. Took me 8 months of searching, best of luck in your hunt!

Clabby93 and scudif1 like this.
  6. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Merit Partners has one. Atlanta Georgia. Decent price but their examples are top notch and well prepared for sale.

Clabby93 likes this.
  7. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Good luck in your search. Purchashed my first Scud June 20’ (corsa/stripes/matte gold wheels/alcantera/bata/CF door trip). Have 11k on her now and still laugh out loud during every full throttle shift.

Best car all around I have owned.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. norphaedrus

norphaedrus Rookie

Sep 26, 2011
    Atlanta
    I'm in Atlanta. I am not familiar with Merit Partners, but happy to go take pictures of key areas or check specific things if someone becomes seriously interested in the Scud they have for sale.

Easy enough to drag my son out to look at cars although it inevitably turns into "do they have a Koenigsegg jesko?" LOL.

Clabby93 likes this.
  9. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    They’re pretty exclusive in what they buy from what I’ve heard. F40s F50s LaFerraris and CGTs. They’re pretty big Porsche collectors as well

Clabby93 likes this.
  10. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Clabby93 likes this.
  11. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Love my Scud! Epic car.. so so good! Good luck with search

scudif1, Clabby93 and LARRYH like this.
  12. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Make sure you get a PPI particularly on a lift. The oil/coolant pump is integrated into the same pump. Mine started to leak at 5,000 miles. Review the maintenance history for this issue; most of the time the seals can be changed unless there is internal corrosion. New pump and installation is expensive.

Clabby93 likes this.
  13. Clabby93

Clabby93 Rookie

Jun 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Clabby
    Thank you all for the well wishes and words of encouragement. Everyone raving about their Scuds has me pumped!

The car at Merit looks like it could be a candidate, waiting on a call back from them. Is it crazy that the red tach might be a deal breaker for me? I guess I spent too many years dreaming of that iconic yellow tach as a kid, I think it'd just bug me to death.

14. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I'm on the hunt for a clean Scud as well - def not much on the market right now. I'm sure some cars will start to pop in the next few months. The concern I have with some of the 15k+ mileage cars is clutch wear and headers - presuming these cars have similar leaky headers like regular 430s, I would think knowing the status of these is super important. Service history is key as well.

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The scud has different headers than the regular 430

Wikdstrate and MikeMonty like this.
  16. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Clutch wear at 15K miles might not be worse than a 5K mile car. Get a clutch life remaining measurement and go from there. I’m at 25K miles with about 25% wear. But I’ve seen 10K mile cars with new clutches. I wouldn’t worry more about getting the spec you want with no deferred maintenance.

Having said that, I think @Scottslaw has one of the coolest projects with his high mileage track rental Scud.

Also, you can change a red tach face to yellow. Another item I wouldn’t let deter me from an otherwise perfect spec.

LARRYH likes this.
  17. njcycleguy

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
  18. njcycleguy

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Different enough that they don't fail as often?

19. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Yes, the headers on the Scud are basically bulletproof.

I encourage you do some research on this forum.

There is plenty of info about this very topic. I spent 6 months researching Scuds before I bought mine back in 2014.

LARRYH likes this.
  20. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    scuds and all cars are through the roof...plain crazy.

21. Michael8888

Michael8888 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2019
    Free Republic of Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, certainly the car market is outrageously strong, but with even the highest trade yet of a Scud occurring more or less at MSRP (the 2k BaT one), I wouldn't say Scud's are sitting in outrageous territory...People paying 25-50%+ over sticker for a new or even slightly used mass-produced Porsche? Yes, that (plus plenty of other examples) is insane.

22. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Honestly, I wouldn't wait. Life is too short and frankly, its not like these are going down in price anytime soon. They are rare, fun, fast (even by today's standards), and fairly robust. And the components that can't be characterized as "robust" are really not crazy expensive to address (for example, you can rebuild the water pump for around a grand and the f1 actuator for about 3k). Certainly stuff like that shouldn't be a show stopper for folks shopping for a quarter million dollar used Ferrari. I took a risk on mine and have been pleasantly surprised and super happy. Lots of blood, sweat (no tears yet) spend on mine, but one of the best car decisions I've ever made and I envision myself owning it for decades to come. Good luck!

vr4henry and AandSC like this.
  23. eYoungman

eYoungman Rookie

Jun 18, 2020
    Northern Colorado
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Good luck in your hunt! I have a ‘13 Italia and dream of giving it a Scud garage-mate. Update us with what you end up with.