GT2RS crashes into Pagani Huyara during HPDE at Monza… video… | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GT2RS crashes into Pagani Huyara during HPDE at Monza… video…

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Dec 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What do you mean by "not rare"? Once a yr or every time you go out? I only do 5-6 days a yr (for the past 6 yrs) and have never seen a car-on-car incident. Obviously YMMV.

2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    This video is old, it's from 2019. This specific car is a Huyara BC and was being driven by the Pagani test driver. I had a ride in it during the AMG 50th anniversary event a few years back.

In Italy, track days are still considered a type of "circolazione stradale" and therefore covered by the insurance. I was in one of these trackdays in Monza when a 997 GT2 crashed on an Audi A3 or Golf (can't remember) and I remember seeing the GT2 owner filling the insurance form while talking to the Golf owner. On another event a 458 Speciale had a light crash with a 360 Modena too.

That being said, after countless track days when I was living near Monza, I have rarely seen accidents.

3. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Is that a big black and white cone in the middle of the track before the corner? As in, drivers were supposed to be on their left of the cone (like the Pagani)?

George Vosburgh likes this.
  4. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I only managed 6 track weekends last year (both 2 day events)...4 of the 6 events had a car-on-car collision like that.
    I've seen this happen with inexperienced drivers who give a point by, but don't lift off the throttle enough to let the car pass.

It's not a problem when a GTR wants to pass a Miata. But a Boxster trying to overtake an M3 with a big ego and not enough seat time, crash.

Also want to reiterate getting out of the car as previously mentioned...this is track classroom 101

jcurry likes this.
  5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Can you tell us where so I can avoid that track!;)

6. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Various tracks and oddly enough not one event was from the same group.
    IIRC correctly, one was PCA, Chin Track Days, BMW CCA, two local organizations, and I'm drawing a blank on the last one.
    The year before I did even more events and don't remember one instance of a crash like that. Plenty of spins, 4 wheels off situations, single car hitting a barrier etc. When you're out there enough you'll see some things.

All depends I guess.

jcurry likes this.
  7. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    If you must get out of your car, how about checking on the driver you just rammed into rather than praying to GEICO? You can tell that the Pagani driver wasn't the owner, owner would have delivered a vicious kick to the balls...

k wright likes this.