Purchase Ferrari on a Bill of Sale | FerrariChat

Purchase Ferrari on a Bill of Sale

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by joesailor, Jan 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joesailor

joesailor Rookie

Dec 22, 2021
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe U
    Does not having a title and buying the car on a Bill of Sale for an older Ferrari such as 308/328 models impact value or ability to sell down the road?? Some cars offered for sale are registered in states without titles.

2. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    If it is a road car it should have a title. I can’t imagine a case where a 308 or 328 would legitimately not have a title.

3. joesailor

joesailor Rookie

Dec 22, 2021
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe U
    Maine & Connecticut for example do not issue titles for cars older than 20 years so if you buy an older Ferrari from one of these states ( and there are others ) you only get a bill of sale and prior registration. My question is that a value you issue when you sell - anyone have current experiences?

Turbopanzer likes this.
  4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Some states are weird like that, you would just have to get it titled in your state but they should accept the BOS as a legal document, but you yes, you will have to have the last registration from the previous owner. This was years ago, but I was living in Ohio and bought a Dodge Stealth from Rhode Island. They didn't title cars over 10 years old, so they required the BOS and current registration. It's not a new thing so just find out what your state requires, As far as value, it will update when you get the car titled in your state so I doubt there will be any effect whatsoever, it would just look like any other transaction.

dm_n_stuff likes this.
  5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    But, most importantly, you can still get a license plate.

In states that require titles, a bill of sale, a registration and a license plate will get you a title.

AAAs vary in quality, but find a good one and you should be fine.

Matt

6. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    I bought my 1983 Ferrari in Connecticut and they do the same when a car is over 20 years of age they don’t issue a title for it anymore. And I live in NY and to register it here is a pains d you need either a title or a transferable registration. So what I did was I had the owner go to Connecticut dmv and get a transfer of ownership form which pretty much looks like a title and I signed and he sign. Then I made sure he gave me the original valid registration to the car and had him fill out the NYS bill of sale and I filled out the registration form for NYS. I also had Connecticut dmv print out a letter that states they do not give out titles for cars over 20 years old. Depending on where you live I would contact the dmv and see what paperwork they will need. Most DMV know what other state DMV do and don’t. You just need to make sure you have the right paperwork. When I showed up to the dmv it was easy and I got my plates right then and there and now I have a valid NYS title for it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. joesailor

joesailor Rookie

Dec 22, 2021
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe U
    Thanks for all the insights. In the end I choose not to pursue the car. Not only on a Bill of Sale/Registration but also a consignment sale. Too many hoops for a remote transaction.

8. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Some Countries are weird like that.
    I would say most of the countries in the world sell on a sale & purchase agreement.
    Only some states in the USA have titles.