Refinishing Targa Top | FerrariChat

Refinishing Targa Top

Discussion in '308/328' started by jlonmark, Jan 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    So I thought it would be a great idea to get rid of my 328 gtb and get a gts because I live in SoCal and why not drive with the top off and think that I'm Magnum PI. So, I have the roof off and hidden in my garage because I can't stand the look of the worn black fiberglass or composite material that it's made of. Is there any way to restore the top to it's semi gloss finish? Paint it and use a lot of hardener? Any compounds to make it black again? Thanks!

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Painting causes a significant, if not total loss of the texture. Sanding and prepping causes a loss of the texture and then the paint fills in whats left. I don't know how you'd replicate it but then I don't know how hard anyone has tried. If it is just chaulky but in otherwise good shape there are a lot of products for that, one was already shown. But as was explained their effects are temporary.

4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well, found a place that specializes in Corvettes.... Gonna see what they have to say

5. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
    Is it fiberglass with a gelcoat outer layer? If so, you might want to approach this like chalky/hazed/faded gelcoat on a boat and hit it with a light compound then wax. The texture on my 328 top doesn't seem particularly deep so I think this would work. But try a small spot first.

I doubt a Corvette place will know what to do -- Corvettes have regular paint over their bodywork.

6. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
    Also, there are many other boat products that restore gelcoat, not just the traditional polishing approach. Boat people love to spend money on stuff like that. Maybe you'll find a suitable product at West Marine or a similar retailer.

7. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Clean it well then use a rattle can (If you are good with rattle cans). Do NOT sand it.

YMMV

Lester

8. jha328

jha328 Rookie

May 26, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I've used Meguiar's GOLD CLASS TRIM DETAILER (restore and maintain original richness to dark plastic and rubber) for many years and been quite satisfied. Gives a glossy finish. Might be worth trying first!

9. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    I just had mine covered in black vinyl.

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I bought an extra targa top, old new stock, and then I had my original painted the color of my 328, and it looks fantastic, much better than the black.

My car looks like a B now , not exactly, but a vast improvement , and now I have one of each, painted and stock .

Thank you

4rePhill, Saabguy and maurice70 like this.
  11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    You would be surprised how well it will look after a good cleaning with a soft brush and Simple Green. I used to put all that stuff on it like Back to Black, but now I just clean it and it looks fine. Besides, all those products run down the windows when it rains or you wash the car.

Cennzo likes this.
  12. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Just had the whole car detailed…. Wash, clay, cut, buff, the works and the same for the targa top. It looks like brand new! Impressed to say the least. It’s Amazing what a good detail crew can do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk