Daytona #14273 - Is there life after death? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Daytona #14273 - Is there life after death?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gtospoons, Jan 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Grant, in the photo it looks like the headlight pop up pods have the rounded corners?

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Cheema and 375+ like this.
  3. Cheema

Cheema Rookie

Jan 2, 2022
    walsall
    Full Name:
    Deepinder Cheema
    35 years after sitting in my first Daytona the magic of the Marques finest still lingers long. The owner paid £6000 in 1976. It was RHD and yellow. He used to advertise it at £35,000 but refused to or 'changed his mind'. I have followed this line of correspondence since spotting the auction history

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very interesting thread, does anyone have news about it? Thanks in advance.

5. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007
    I suppose this is #14273 as of today.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

you can also see a littel video here:

L-E

Ak3, Marcel Massini and miurasv like this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #206 Nembo1777, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    Thank you, even though I am a track person it is somewhat sad that it it did not become once again a road car used for trips across Europe as was the intent of the man who put so much effort into it for countless years as opposed to a racing car which it never was ...But still it is alive and not rotting in an English ditch so I will say to the Danish owner Tack ska du ha, ha det kul, thank you (for getting it running) have fun!:)

Daytonafan and readplays like this.
  7. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Any idea as to the specs of engine rebuild?
    What a story.

8. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    It is the perfect candidate for such a conversion. In the eyes of many its past life would have tainted its future as a normal road car, and to convert a non story car would have been sacrilege to those same people.

Its spec is amazing now, clearly the current owner is very proud of the car, and its past life has nothing to do with its current incarnation going forward

Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    On that I fully agree yes.

10. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007
    I've seen it being test driven on the race track and it both looks and sound gorgeous.

Built by Motorima in Sweden.

L-E

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    I'm by no means a Ferrari expert, I just like them. I am wonering about the 'no stories' aspect of cars. With the comments on this one, it seems some 'stories' are less likely to be a factor in value. This car was destroyed, and rebuilt, no problem. Some are stolen, recovered and rebuilt, problem. I understand if the chassis number is in question, or it's wholly non-original are bad 'stories' cars. How do you define a car with 'stories' as good or not? Just curious.

Perry

Jakuzzi likes this.
  12. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Good question, and very subjective I guess is the answer.

Also "stories" are perceived as different between race cars and road cars, where the race cars are expected to have had a life, and it actually adds value in many cases, the road cars have to be virgins! if they are to be put on that pedestal of original and unmolested.

As a race rep, this cars past life would not really make much difference, as future owners would be buying it as it now is, not what it used to be, or what happened to it.

Same with the SWB and GTO copies based on GTE etc chassis, it is a totally different market sector from those who would only ever want a Classiche level Ferrari.

You also see it with wrecked F40s, they tend to end up as LM clones, as even if they had a nut and bolt back to original rebuild, the past life would always come back to haunt the car, where as many people want a copy LM but the value of a nice car makes it uneconomic to do the conversion any more to such.

There will always be buyers for LM clones, SWB and GTO copies etc, horses for courses.