488 - 488 Prices - What Are People Really Paying? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 488 Prices - What Are People Really Paying?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Drizz, Dec 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    make offers you wont know till you do,my 18 488 gtb msrp was 298k 6800 miles in like new shape sold 6 months ago for low 240s was advertised 259k it was a buy,you wont know till you make an offer

Drizz likes this.
  2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I sold my 488 a year or so ago for $285K as I recall. Prices dipped a little during covid and then I think everything has gone up recently due to lack of inventory and/or inflationary pressures. I'm not sure what 488's are selling for these days, but typically Ferrari dealers get very near their asking prices in my experience, unless there is a very motivated private seller behind the scenes who wants out and doesn't care. However, of the car is owned by the dealership (in other words it's not just on consignment), then usually they hold the line pretty firmly.

I think it's because they know eventually some rich guy will walk in and want the Ferrari right away and an extra $10K plus or minus won't be as important as just having the car they want. So prices they ask are usually pretty close to where they sell.

Private sales are a different story. If you check the Ferrari market letters, usually there is a spread between asking and sales prices.

Ray

Drizz likes this.
  3. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I would agree with this - most Ferrari dealers seem to know the market, and cars sell close to asking price. At least right now certainly. They really don't want cars to sit on the floor for a long time, and get stale.

Obviously some exceptions, but even prior to COVID it would be rare to see something sit for more than 3-6 weeks.

Drizz likes this.
  4. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    perhaps the mistake is assuming that the inflation on everything is 1) temporary 2) will result in deflation.
    perhaps what we are experiencing is an upward reset of values/ prices that will eventually moderate but won't deflate.
    perhaps what is going to happen over this new inflation/ hyper inflation cycle (expect this to last 10 years) will cause today's 'over inflated' prices to look like a deal this time next year.
    Truly strange (and interesting) times.

Drizz likes this.
  5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Agreed Tim, and when you factor in that Ferrari is (apparently) making BIG moves to cease development of combustion engines (full announcement of who will replace ousted CTO Michael Leiters, coming January 10...just a few weeks) the back-catalog landscape is ripe for a massive upswing in values...or at least the plateauing of current values as the new baseline.

6. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    For sure it’s anyones guess and lots of folks stating continued inflation versus some major financial collapse that others say is imminent. Despite the 6 month Covid blip we have been in quite a tear financially for over a decade which historically means we are due for some correction. It’s certainly possible that with inflation rates will rise and some switch will flip into major correction, people with over inflated auto debt will walk leaving banks with massive default and prices could plummet? One thing for sure is no one knows for sure and Whomever is correct in 6 months may not be correct in 12 or 18 months..

7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    for example on g63 amgs there getting 100k and over from msrp and banks are leasing and financing them at 100k over msrp crazy prices

8. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I know Im shocked that a bank would finance that but Ive heard that as well. Its at a smaller scale than the housing crisis banks got into in 2007/08 but maybe more numbers as there has to be more auto loans financed than homes? You could see how that type of policy could have big bad consequences if there is a correction..

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  9. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The market for auto loans is peanuts compared to mortgages - and even more so if you are just focusing on more exotic type vehicles. There is no contagion where that could, by itself, damage the overall economy. Just too small of a market, I'd guess around 10% of the size of housing debt.....then maybe 1% of that in higher-end stuff.

But, I'd look at it another way. If there is a significant economic slow-down/correction, it's going to cause a drop in demand and the potential for a steep drop in certain asset values. All of the resulting fall-out could be very messy, especially given the large run-up we have witnessed recently.

Drizz likes this.
  10. Drizz

Drizz Rookie

Aug 28, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks to everyone thus far for the input. Some interesting conversation as well!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Pizza Paul

Pizza Paul Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Paul Cerro
    Excellent topics I really enjoy these discussions keep them coming. On order '22 F8s.

12. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Our approach to everything is that our mental OS (operating system) is outdated and this new inflation era is forcing an OS update. The inflationary times last a long time...expect 10 years. Assets, as in real stuff is where it's at. Cash-flowing businesses, dare I say CARS and other real assets. There is no benefit *financially* to saving cash money. It's being depreciated. Real Estate even at these seemingly nutty prices may seem like a deal in 12 months. Dont expect a deflationary real estate cycle, wont happen. Don't expect foreclosures etc even if the economy goes into a hyper inflation mode, won't happen. The Gov't controls the banks and how they service mortages. As I said before, our OS is outdated. We have always been in the 'no debt, pay off your mortgage' camp, but now it's confusing. If we can borrow at less than 4% and real estate is expected to increase in value/ inflate by 16% (Goldman, Google it) in 2022 a loan is clearly the way to go and keep your cash in play to buy MORE inflating assets. Its hard to accept that we are in a massive price reset, everything is going up and won't ever come back down. However, that appears to be the case. Buy your Ferrari etc now.

blkdiablo33 and Viperjoe like this.
  13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2016/01/12/the-big-short-falls-short-on-explaining-the-housing-collapse/

The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977. If you haven’t heard of it, I wouldn’t be surprised. I wasn’t surprised when nobody mentioned it after the housing market collapsed in 2008, and I wasn’t surprised when few noticed in 2010 when the federal banking executives proposed changes expanding the act. I was surprised, however, when The Big Short, a movie claiming to explain the housing collapse so as to prevent another one, left out not only the CRA but also any responsibility of the federal government, since the act--and the government--is the major cause of the 2008 housing collapse yet still remains a part of the U.S. Code of Laws.

(in short, banks were forced to give 'no doc' loans to persons who had no ability to make good on the paper issued; that has zero comparison to auto loans being issued over msrp, ergo, there is no Federal law mandating that activity, at least not at present)

Napoli, Challenge and Viperjoe like this.
  14. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd

subprime does not equal no-doc, and it was the 30X leverage that did the banks in.

that is an editorial, not a news article.

read carefully. that opinion of the CRA is not held widely.

15. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  16. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Viperjoe likes this.
  17. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It's a non-partisan detour, mostly focused on the financial implications, so nothing too egregious. Let's just let it go from here and return to the cars.

All the best,
    Andrew.

JTSE30 likes this.
  18. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The CRA was the least of the problems from what was going on. Poor lending practices, poor risk management, greed on behalf of all parties (borrowers and lenders), and certainly bank leverage all played a much larger role. When Merrill Lynch did a risk analysis of the tens of billions they held in CDOs (holding various Alt-A/subprime mortgage tranches most heavily exposed to first loss rates) and figured the MOST they could lose was about $80 million, that tells you everything you need to know. The risk models really were programmed that housing would never decline heavily on a national basis.

Not the thread to debate this. And I can talk for hours on why the CRA is one of the most misguided pieces of legislation ever, but the 2008 collapse can't be pinned on it.

19. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    absolutely correct

20. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The CRA codified these things, did it not?

21. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    No. The overwhelming majority of risky lending took place outside of the GSE's and had nothing to do with CRA.

22. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    Where do we think the market is headed?

23. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    To the moon!

emmholla likes this.
  24. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    Hahaha

25. dgrobs

dgrobs Rookie

Dec 29, 2017
    $350K on a $325 MSRP 2019 488 Spider (White)

2000 miles

Extended warranty B to B until late 2024.

Price is what it is.