The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k | Page 23 | FerrariChat

The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Nov 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Heck, you could do that with a Porsche! Look at the power graph and compare the area under the curve. You can’t see that from a chopped pic! Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I've never done a 0-60 run or 1/4 mile run on public roads. For speed, triple digits yes. If you want to go 200mph with other enthusiasts, there are plenty of events here in the US. I'm an hour from the Shuttle Landing Facility where they do runs for enthusiasts.

3. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I can't tell if you're trolling.

He did not mean LITERAL quarter mile runs. Acceleration fun is much easier to accomplish on public roads than top speed fun.

THAT'S the point. In point of fact, as someone who comes from the muscle car world and has no interest in seeing a track, I'd MUCH rather a car that gets up off the line than one with long speed.

A 200mph car with an 8 second 0-60 time wouldn't be much fun on the street. But a 150mph car that got to 60 in 4 seconds would be a blast to drive

tbakowsky likes this.
  4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    In drag strip mode the Plaid is only about a tenth faster in the quarter mile. I drive in Plaid mode all the time, no prep and it will kick any production cars ass.

Wikdstrate and Jaguar36 like this.
  5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Quicker to 175 mph than any other car, how many times do you faster than 175?

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    None

7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    In your experience, at what point in the battery charge level does performance drop off? Is it (below) 20%? 10%? and then at what charge level does full performance return?

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That's all you had to say from the get-go. You're a muscle car guy and it makes sense why the Plaid is something you prefer over a track-oriented super sedan like the M5, which is also quick from 0-60 (not 8 seconds) and can go and stay at 200 mph with ease as it was designed. Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your Plaid!

dpw98 likes this.
  9. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Much higher. Full performance is somewhere around 90%+ state of charge I believe.

10. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #560 Tony91505, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022

So your car purchase is predicated on top speed, since you regularly drive 200 plus on closed courses in your daily driver. We may live in the same country but on entirely different planets. I’m glad the M5 suits your needs. Personally, having had a M5, e63s and ctsV, I find the plaid to be far superior. However, I have no need to go that fast, ever. They will unlock the 200 mph in the plaid one of these days, but I won’t be taking advantage of it. Btw, have you driven the plaid personally?

Jaguar36 likes this.
  11. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The difference between the cheetah stance with drag mode is minuscule, unless actually racing, then 1/10 may matter. The car will still pull 9s off with 20 percent state of charge, something the previous version could not do.

I’m not aware of any cars one may encounter in the wild that can out acceleration the plaid from a dig or on a roll.

Golden Steed likes this.
  12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I only have 300 miles and my car and it’s never been below 50%

JTSE30 likes this.
  13. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Is it me, or does this entire discussion feel like a Flat Earth debate.

Some people just won't accept reality, no matter the evidence.

paulchua and tbakowsky like this.
  14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Wait what? The Earth isn’t flat?

15. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Woke up today to see an over the air update increasing the top speed to 175 and new track mode. For those who absolutely need 200 mph, it’s coming very soon.

paulchua likes this.
  16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Steven Spielberg should look no further then FerrariChat for the next plot of Jurassic Park.

vraa likes this.
  17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    paulchua likes this.
  18. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I'm surprised they opened that up without requiring the brake upgrade. I have an MX P100D and the brakes are for sh*t, dangerous in fact. (My 0-60 is 2.7, I can't image what Plaid is going to be like). I also have a Plaid MX on order and while I know performance will be slower than the S Plaid, I'll still happily pay for a brake upgrade. I wish Tesla would make it a factory option rather than an "accessory". Hard enough to get a service appointment as it is let alone have to worry about some junior tech installing a set of carbon ceramics.

19. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    It is difficult for many people to understand just how quick and fast the Plaid is unless they are involved in drags and/or higher performance modding.
    As per the poster above - Buddyg - there isn't anything on the road stock for stock that can beat a Plaid in a straight line - especially when racing against something with instant response (beyond the 1000 HP).

TO help put it into perspective, I used to race up until 2019 for some performance shops in Canada and the United States and in order to run a low 9 at 153 MPH (which was literally what I ran on my first build) - that GTR needed to make ~1000 whp (there was limited boost per gear and other launch strategies at that time being fair - but my MPH was within 2 MPH of a plaid; 153-155 MPH). My Alpha 16 build ran low 8's at 175 MPH - and was making 1650 whp (or about 2000 HP) and the new Tesla Roadster will run 8's and trap over 160 MPH. The Nevera ran about the same MPH and ET as my car - on a dusty street(!!!) (non-prepped). There is no real comparison from these types of EV cars to any ICE road car available today. As another example; high 9's like a 720S runs is about 7-9 car lengths difference from a 9.2 ET Plaid - which is about a 120+ feet difference. On a road course - yes I know - EV's are working on it - but that is still the realm of ICE cars - thus far. The visceral part of ICE cars is going to be the toughest component for an EV to work through. Coming out of my M5C I wanted to get into a Plaid but I was too early (they weren't available) - so I went another ICE car lease cycle and hope to get into one then for my daily. It would never be my fun weekend toy - but for hurting feelings everywhere - car and drags - it would be a ball...

Wikdstrate and paulchua like this.
  20. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    the new algorithm is supposed to creat more stopping via the three motors. I haven’t had a chance to drive mine in tack mode. The brake upgrade is 20k installed. I will report back on the new software updates once I have a chance to test them out.

paulchua likes this.
  21. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You know what is way more fun than a Tesla Plaid in the quarter mile? A 1970 Chevelle with a 454 4 speed with a bigfoot gas peddle. It is loud and you can smell that gas. Just hang on in the bucket seat with just a lap belt.

paulchua likes this.
  22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    tesla just needs to make a hand built limited exotic with two doors so these useless comparisons between a commuter family car and a Ferrari can go away. No one believes these comparisons are serious.

paulchua likes this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree with you 100%.

DrewH likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Very true, I think it's more of if this is what a family commuter car can do, what is Ferrari's next move? I think what they are doing now is the right thing. Many people don't however. That's what I think I'm trying to wrap my head around. Hope folks think then I'm an ICE hater or some environmental crusader, see my above post ^^^.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    exactly on point. Folks that pooh-pooh the latest offerings either haven't experienced it themselves or are putting their heads in the sand.

vtknight likes this.